Ford Focus RS Forum banner

821 - 840 of 888 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Carloop Basic is sold out. Anyone have one for sale or rent/loan?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Had some spare time and this weekend to have a go at finally programming my RDU. I have downloaded all the necessary files and but when I am running the software in VM I can't connect to the Carloop? The LED on the carloop is blue and flashing. I went to player/removable devices but cant see "photon".

What do I need to do to get this connected?

TIA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is it possible to just run this on a raspberry pi into a carloop instead of the whole windows-vm thing? (I don't have a working laptop right now)

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
146 Posts
You could try something like rasbian. You just need linux kernel support for the devices, and the rest are all python scripts/modules.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is it possible to just run this on a raspberry pi into a carloop instead of the whole windows-vm thing? (I don't have a working laptop right now)
Here are my notes while trying a few weeks ago on An rpi4 with raspbian. Note I have not hooked it up to the car, but I was able to run the rdu script and communicate with the carloop. It's likely not all steps are necessary.

Clone Daftracing and follow readme.

Install particle-cli
bash /particle.io/install-cli )
chmod +x ~/bin/particle

Add particle to PATH (note, .bash_profile should do this automatically)
export PATH=$PATH;~/bin

Create Particle Photon Account online
particle setup

Install Python dependencies
sudo pip3 install can pyserial crccheck
sudo apt install python3-can

Fix USB modules
sudo apt-get install build-essential libudev-dev
rm -rf ~/.particle/node_modules
particle update-cli

Install can-utils
sudo apt-get install can-utils

Test, allow sudo access
particle usb list -v --ids-only

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
146 Posts
Is anyone else running T18? I have been for a couple weeks, and we had an autocross test/tune day today. The 1st half of the day I drove it pretty normal, and the last half I tried to remember to push it harder... since that was the reason I was there today. It wasn't oversteery, and felt better balanced. Even though I'm on crappy 340 treadwear tires, it was just powering around corners. I had been on T16 for 6 months (~4,000 miles) prior to changing to T18.

@Kacper ... you're awesome!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Successfully loaded t16 today, among other changes and am loving it. Launch control feels like a real awd car now.

fwd in normal mode feels like a party trick, I love it.

thank you @Kacper for the carloop

Is anyone else running T18? I have been for a couple weeks, and we had an autocross test/tune day today. The 1st half of the day I drove it pretty normal, and the last half I tried to remember to push it harder... since that was the reason I was there today. It wasn't oversteery, and felt better balanced. Even though I'm on crappy 340 treadwear tires, it was just powering around corners. I had been on T16 for 6 months (~4,000 miles) prior to changing to T18.

@Kacper ... you're awesome!
Good info, I was back and forth between loading this or t16 today snd went with the safe bet. I’ll try it out after a while

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Successfully loaded t16 today, among other changes and am loving it. Launch control feels like a real awd car now.

fwd in normal mode feels like a party trick, I love it.
I did t16 and am still happy with it, but I did not do the fwd mode.

how would you describe it? Is it just like owning a focus ST again? Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I did t16 and am still happy with it, but I did not do the fwd mode.

how would you describe it? Is it just like owning a focus ST again? Is it worth it?
A heavier focus st sure. Focus st with a turbo upgrade. Idk why you wouldn’t flash it. Just for being able to warm the tires on command is a cheat code basically. Then just throw it back in all wheel.

the best thing about it. It has more power from less drivetrain loss. I know if someone pulls up to me above 50mph I’m leaving it in normal. Feels like about 20hp more under my foot

my preference is fwd and awd cars. Being able to do both at the flick of a button is awesome. I can do the same with my 335i but it requires a 1 minute flash. Lame.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What I want is to match the power increase with a corresponding increase in rear torque allocation, so the car does not reach the point where the rear is capped and the front gets all the remaining extra power, which gives it an FWD-ish character past a certain power output. That would fix the only qualm I have with the stock setup.

What I want to avoid is change the car dynamics. The stock vectoring is already a little too much for my tastes but at least it does not introduce excessive special effects (like drift mode does).

Increasing the torque demand by 12 or 25% (as opposed to increasing the torque cap) basically makes every mode a drift mode and makes the car slower (as you can not open the throttle as much as in stock mode) and more dangerous (as the rear wants to slide when it should not.)
@Kacper is this a tune we can have made? Like a +25% in launch control only and then only an increase torque limit otherwise?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I began the process to install.
I got up to the selection of which file you wanted. There were only 3 options and one was stock.
I used the 20200908r2 file. Which is the latest one.
I saw the one Hank used 20200908 had more options in his instructions.
I don't understand why?
I'll download and try again.

821 - 840 of 888 Posts