Ford Focus RS Forum banner

761 - 780 of 785 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Update: so a few weeks ago I flashed the RDU with t16. I live in Vancouver which is a miserable rain-soaked city 300 days a year. I’ve been happy with the tune, but also quite meh... almost to the point of thinking it’s placebo.

fast forward to today. Dry, warm for January, break in the traffic. I have a fantastic merge-off right before work. Hit the pavement faster than the limit of my winters. Drift mode, power out Of the corners etc. Holy shît the car was a COMPLETELY different beast compared to the track days I did earlier this year with a similar setup. This has rejuvenated The pep in my step for track prep.

I can already tell my tires won’t be up to the task, but new track tires isn’t in the budget this year

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Update: so a few weeks ago I flashed the RDU with t16. I live in Vancouver which is a miserable rain-soaked city 300 days a year. I’ve been happy with the tune, but also quite meh... almost to the point of thinking it’s placebo.

fast forward to today. Dry, warm for January, break in the traffic. I have a fantastic merge-off right before work. Hit the pavement faster than the limit of my winters. Drift mode, power out Of the corners etc. Holy shît the car was a COMPLETELY different beast compared to the track days I did earlier this year with a similar setup. This has rejuvenated The pep in my step for track prep.

I can already tell my tires won’t be up to the task, but new track tires isn’t in the budget this year

View attachment 348235
you should flash it back to oem and drive it in normal mode...lol. you'll really notice it then.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Can anyone confirm the peculiar FoRS WOT straight line lane change lurch is the torque vectoring adding drive to the outside rear when steering angle is sensed, and this behaviour can be altered by RDU retuning (less left/right bias)?

I distinguish from classic tramlining, wheel alignment and tyre scenarios.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Pre or post RDU tuning? And this is specifically WOT and a subtle steering input like a lane change? I’ll try it tomorrow and see if I feel anything weird. Can’t say I ever noticed that yet

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Can anyone confirm the peculiar FoRS WOT straight line lane change lurch is the torque vectoring adding drive to the outside rear when steering angle is sensed, and this behaviour can be altered by RDU retuning (less left/right bias)?

I distinguish from classic tramlining, wheel alignment and tyre scenarios.

TIA.
Your not confusing it with PDC?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Your not confusing it with PDC?
Actually trying to differentiate (pardon the pun).

I intendended to have the dealer turn off PDC last week while visiting for an unrelated matter but they're so hopeless I abandoned the idea. 😶 My rear hatch proximity unlock sensor stopped working...they were adamant FoRS didn't have that capability and tried to send me on my way. :mad::cautious:Finally working out FoRS actually does have hatch prox sensors.

TBH, the pull doesn't bother me, particularly.

I've long wondered, actually believed, torque vectoring is the cause. If PDC is, FoST should do the same thing. I understand they have the same PDC feature. However only FoRS seem to do it?

Meaning, controversially, if the hypothesis is right, RDU tune is the solution , not the popular remedied including PDC, tyre pressure, wheel alignment, Hill Assist...

Equalising RDU torque would be an interesting test.

Set up a repeatable trigger scenario. Change the RDU tune to neutralise torque vectoring and re-run the scenario.
PDC on, OEM RDU. x3 positive lane veering (at least).
PDC off OEM RDU. 3x test
PDC off altered RDU. 3x test
PDC on altered RDU. 3x test

That would be pretty definitive.

I'd do it myself but don't feel confident mucking with the software. 😶😕.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Finally working out FoRS actually does have hatch prox sensors.
You're talking about the key fob antennae? There's 4 of them: on the cubby, below the arm console, under the rear seats, behind the rear bumper.

PDC is, FoST should do the same thing. I understand they have the same PDC feature.
It's possible PDC on the RS is implemented differently, utilizing front and rear inputs.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Correct, key fob antennae.
I was rear-ended, minor, but enough for a new rear bumper. Right after (during acceptance inspection) no key fob detect.The repairer assured me no work to the hatch door or latch. Sceptically accepted and went to Ford. Now I'm off, back to the repairer to reconnect the antenna. In truth, it would be easier in some ways to fix it myself. Assuming the antenna is there...

PDC, different implimentation between ST & RS, perhaps.

I'm sceptical about PDC causing lane veering, because (lane veer) occurs with open throttle, maybe rapid throttle application, and seems more prominent in drift and maybe sport to a lesser extent? Suggests torque vectoring conditions?

Drift Correct, I'd infer is more about steady state conditions?

·
Registered
933 Posts
How do I get ahold of the VM download and will I be able to use a MAC or is it Windows compatible only?
Please see this thread, seems like there is an option for MAC users.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To preface this, I've already used Forscan to flash the AWD module to the latest firmware. It flashed in about two minutes so I know the OBD cable I bought works. (it's actually the same one trickyme purchased)

@robry I've followed your video to a tee and I'm running what appear to be two stopping points. I'm able to extract and run the VM without issue. I can get into the /DaftWorks/vbf directory and run "./build.sh" and it returns to prompt without any errors. The expected outcome.

Fast forward to the flashing stage and I'm running into an error where Forscan says that it cannot read the firmware, or "Error opening file" to be exact. I'm not terribly familiar with .vbf files but I as I mentioned earlier I ran the ./build.sh command and it didn't return errors. I'm not sure why I'm running into this issue. Any advice?
View attachment 347175

Second issue, when I try to run the "/usr/bin/vmhgfs-fuse .host:/ /mnt/hgfs -o subtype=vmhgfs-fuse " command, it returns the error "fuse: mountpoint is not empty fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the "nonempty" mount option. As you can see below
View attachment 347174

Despite this error, I was still able to copy the .vbf files to the firmware folder in my windows directory. I've also tried copying the files via flash drive connected to Linux, removing, mounting to Windows. Either way still produces the same error in Forscan.

@Kacper
I'm curious, is there a possible way for you to provide each of the .vbf files ready to go for users who choose to go the Forscan route?

@trickyme Did you run into any of these issues or was the flashing process smooth for you?

Thank you for any and all help you guys can provide.
Apologies for missing this, I stopped getting e-mails from the forum with notifications for several months. I need to fix the tutorial as Kacper already setup copy/paste from the VM, so my extra step isn't needed.

As far as Forscan flashing, you only need to flash the calibration, the strategy is the stock file. Let me triple check my notes.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Happy to correct, I was using a news article for some of the information (they) supposedly interviewed Ford. Is it manufactured by Ford and JTEKT?
The RDU is designed and manufactured by GKN Driveline, a division of GKN Ltd. The basis of GKN has been around since the mid 1700s, with the "current" company founded around 1900. They've been making automotive components since the mid 1960s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The RDU is designed and manufactured by GKN Driveline, a division of GKN Ltd. The basis of GKN has been around since the mid 1700s, with the "current" company founded around 1900. They've been making automotive components since the mid 1960s.
Apparently I'm very dyslexic lol, will update it now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't mean to derail the original topic, but would there be a way to remove the overboost feature using vmware? Imagine having any of the increased rear diff power AND overboost removed AND PDC off with panic brake assist gone 🤯

·
Registered
112 Posts
@REVN556 yes, get a tune.
I don't want a tune. I just want the overboost feature to be gone. I also don't want to spend $500+ on an accessport or need any of the other features it has. I don't even want more power, to be honest.

761 - 780 of 785 Posts