Ford Focus RS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 785 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
@Kacper i just had a quick question about the ABS update and the ‘drift stick’ mod. When I engage the drift stick, does it open the RDU so there is no binding on the drivetrain? Or does the RDU stay engaged but just locks up the rear via ABS

edit: if I remember correctly the ford racing drift stick disengages the RDU. Maybe @BigFatFlip can comment since he has tried both

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thanks bud! That’s what I thought But I wanted to make sure. It’s been pouring rain so I’ve been practicing a little bit with it. I love it

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I haven't had a single issue since I flashed the ABS calibration on 08/15/20. I used to have Ford's Brake Assist kick in at almost every autox. Not a single issue since.
How did you disable panic brake assist? I have that happen quite often in auto-x & would LOVE to be able to disable it. I'm assuming that it isn't part of this RDU modification, but the other (riskier) mod?

EDIT: I found your video on your site & I understand now. So this disables the panic braking issue completely?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I found your video on your site & I understand now. So this disables the panic braking issue completely?
I can't say that it "disables" brake assist, but I haven't had it kick in during autox since I flashed the ABS module. This flash is basically the same calibration that the Drift Stick uses. I'd love to know if anyone that purchased a Drift Stick has had brake assist kick in during an autox (without using the drift stick).

This mod doesn't help the ice racers, though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I can't say that it "disables" brake assist, but I haven't had it kick in during autox since I flashed the ABS module. This flash is basically the same calibration that the Drift Stick uses. I'd love to know if anyone that purchased a Drift Stick has had brake assist kick in during an autox (without using the drift stick).

This mod doesn't help the ice racers, though.
I will let you know.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello Everybody,
Christmas time, I have a gift for you “How to disable brake assist”

It’s all about recreating rear ABS sensors fault. Unplug ABS wires and drive a bit as long as ABS icon will appear on the dash.
Plug wires back then and enjoy full functionality (including AWD / Drive Modes) but ABS brake assist.

Merry Christmas Everyone

P.S.
Try it on your own risk.
Let me know how it works for your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having some trouble flashing the RDU mod onto my Carloop Basic. I've initialized and registered the Photon and upgraded its firmware, all over wifi. When I boot Kacper's Ubuntu VM, I don't see the Carloop as a USB device so can't add it to the VM's set of USB devices. I've tried it natively on three Windows 10 devices with both USB 3 and 2, one Windows 7 computer with USB 2 and a Ubuntil 20.0.04L laptop with USB 2 and the Photon USB connection is not detected in or out of DFU mode. "dfu-util -l" sees nothing, nor does "particle usb list". USB drivers are installed. I have no trouble accessing the Photon using wifi ("particle list" works fine). Anybody out there run into this and found a solution? Hard to believe I have a defective USB interface on the Photon but suppose it's possible.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hardware is extremely finicky in my experience. It's been a minute since I've flashed the VM but I remember specifically having to do it all in a certain order, not to mention my photon was plugged in backwards from the supplier as well. GL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hardware is extremely finicky in my experience. It's been a minute since I've flashed the VM but I remember specifically having to do it all in a certain order, not to mention my photon was plugged in backwards from the supplier as well. GL
Thanks for that. The Photon appears to be correctly mounted on the OBD2 adapter, based on the carloop.io shop page. The Photon is working. I can signal it from the CLI or app but using wifi. My problem is that the device is not detected on the USB bus so Kacper's VM doesn't see it and I can't flash the RDU mod. I've tried different cables, computers and operating systems. No joy.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks for that. The Photon appears to be correctly mounted on the OBD2 adapter, based on the carloop.io shop page. The Photon is working. I can signal it from the CLI or app but using wifi. My problem is that the device is not detected on the USB bus so Kacper's VM doesn't see it and I can't flash the RDU mod. I've tried different cables, computers and operating systems. No joy.
So neither the host nor VM detects the Photon? My first two thoughts are cable (which you said you've tried different cables) and that the Photon is being automatically connected to the host instead. In the preferences you can check to see how the VM Player is instructed to handle newly detected USB devices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So neither the host nor VM detects the Photon? My first two thoughts are cable (which you said you've tried different cables) and that the Photon is being automatically connected to the host instead. In the preferences you can check to see how the VM Player is instructed to handle newly detected USB devices.
Yeah, Thanks, I'm aware of that. Like I said, I've tried the device natively without the VM on five different computers with different cables and different operating systems and different UBS ports both v2 and v3. None of the computers recognizes the USB device at all. Nothing is ever added to device manager. No installation alert, no "installing device" message, nothing. The DFU USB drivers are installed on all these computers, too. Yet I can configure and access the Photon over wifi with no trouble. The only value I get out of the USB port is power. I've wasted over a day trying to get this working and think it's time to request a replacement unless anyone else has anything further to suggest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unbelievable. I had tried three different mini-USB cables and couldn't get it working on five different systems. At the advice of both misterchonger here and Alan Mond on the Carloop board, I found a fourth cable and boom, it's working. Crazy frustrating but it's flashed now and the first three cables are in the garbage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For non-tech guys that are very interested in the RDU and ABS-assist solution, are there guys out there that are doing this as a service? I'd be willing to meet and pay to have this done by an experienced member. (Located in Louisville, KY.) I don't have a lot of faith in myself when it comes to coding like this and I'd rather not screw something up, bigtime...lol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
For non-tech guys that are very interested in the RDU and ABS-assist solution, are there guys out there that are doing this as a service? I'd be willing to meet and pay to have this done by an experienced member. (Located in Louisville, KY.) I don't have a lot of faith in myself when it comes to coding like this and I'd rather not screw something up, bigtime...lol.
If you were near me id help you out for free.
There is nothing to it though, just have to follow instructions, don't let your laptop sleep, and have a good usb cable.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I know what you mean...this spring I’m conscripting a friend to do my tune. He has a circuit board inked on his right bicep.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I can perform the flash for members in Calgary, AB. I have the computer, cables, carloop, and battery charger here.

Obviously no guarantees or warranty of any kind, but I have done the flash on my own car and I once slept at a Holiday Inn Express.

741 - 760 of 785 Posts