Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Cpe exhale kit help

8K views 35 replies 5 participants last post by  jes007 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

I just installed the cpe exhale kit with the hks bov. It came with the revised maptap which is an adapter that connects to the pcv port on the side of the throttle body.

When i initially started the car after the install i let it run for a few minutes. Then, i began slightly revving the engine. The first few revs i heard the signature sound the ssq valve makes with the high pitch screech towards the end but then after a few more revs the sound turned into a swooshing thats almost similar to the tial bov. I didnt get to drive the car on the street yet bc i had other things to do but this issue bugged me the whole day. Does anyone know if this is normal or if maybe i did something wrong during the install? has anyone experienced this?....i dont know if this matters but i did use the filter that came with the bov kit. The little plastic one you put into the vaccum line to prevent oil vapors from getting into the bov.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Did your hks blow valve work correctly when driving?
Did you read the OP?

"When i initially started the car after the install i let it run for a few minutes. Then, i began slightly revving the engine. The first few revs i heard the signature sound the ssq valve makes with the high pitch screech towards the end but then after a few more revs the sound turned into a swooshing thats almost similar to the tial bov. I didnt get to drive the car on the street yet bc i had other things to do "

#9 ·
Im going to go for a drive tomorrow. Its ramadan and im fasting and i learned ill never work on my car again during this “blessed” month [emoji21]....anyways....the map tap is basically a metal adapter with 3 ports....one which the oem pcv line goes to, another for the bov and the kit includes a plug for the other, unless you need to use it for whatever reason....this doesnt require you to cut any lines. It simply plugs into the oem pcv port on the side of the throttle body.....one issue i had was pressing the top of the pipe into the throttle body with the new silicone adapter. For some reason no matter how much i tried to jam it on it still left like a 2mm gap which is really small i know and the clamps they provide cover it but its just annoying and im most likely going to get back under the car, take everything off and redo it. This time i want to take the manifold off and just put it on nice and tight.....also the other silicone elbow that connects to the intercooler im assuming is meant for the oem piece bc it was a PITA trying to get it on to my mountune IC....but with enough twist and force it got on. Im sorry i went a lil off topic but tomorrow ill post driving results and pics of the maptap.

Thanks again

#13 ·
Thanks for the picture!
Did you use a snap ring plier to install the c clamp for the hks bov? I have seen an install video on a focus st and even after installing the hks bov, it was rotating 360 degree. Does your hks move or is it firm? Hope you didn't forget to install the o ring.

#14 ·
Sooo i wasnt sure of this actually....so your saying when installed correctly the bov shouldnt move at all?....bc i can definately turn it with slight force. Im gonna check on that tomorrow when i get a chance...it does make sense it could be the snapring bc of how initially when i started the car, the first few revs i actually heard the correct sound coming from the bov...on the third rev it went to a whooshing sound and now when I took it out to drive today there was no sound from the bov at all which makes me think theres a hole where air is escaping....thanks man!

#15 ·
I haven't installed the cpe exhale hks kit yet, but I have been trying to get as much info about it. The supra forums have a lot of info on how the hks should fit. From what I have read, it should not move at all if installed correctly.

The C clamp has a flat side and a beveled side. The flat side should be at the bottom if my memory serves me right. Try to get someone to help you push the hks bov down into the flange while the other person puts the C clamp in place. A lot of ppl have said to use a snap ring plier instead of nose pliers. Not sure if you have one or not.

If possible, could you take a pic of the HKS bov once installed, only if you are able to.

Hoping to hear good news soon buddy.

#17 ·
Dude im looking at all the info thats on the web and i didnt realize how much of a ***** it was to put on lol....ppl are like you cant use these flimsy harbor freight pliers and that you need the heavy duty ones....one guy was like “ive done everything, pulled motors, swapped clutches and installed turbos....this was the bggest PITA”....lol i was like yeaaaa theres my prob.....thanks again man i wouldve never figured it out.

#26 ·
Well the install isnt bad at all actually....i just shouldve researched more about proper fitting....you can easily get the bov set in its place with another set of hands....as far as sound, i also bought the purple fin insert. Apparently its a lower frequency sound. Im not gonna lie, i got this bov bc i wanted to live out a semi childhood fantasy. Ive always had NA v8’s before this and none of them made the whole “sneezing” sound. So after watching paul walker in the green mistubishi eclipse, my brain was like “i want that”.....which brings us here.

Just waiting on the o ring and ill post pics asap.

[emoji120] thx to all.

#27 ·
I found the easiest way to install this was to install the hks bov on the pipe while it’s not on the car. It’s a tighter fit, but easily doable. Also, use some lube on the couplers to make it easy to adjust everything. It was such a pia to get the snap ring on correctly while the pipe was installed on the car. Thus, why I went a different route and found it was much easier.

#31 ·
Lol khair mubarak!....yea man hopefully the o ring should be here early this week but bc im impatient and its amazing weather in NY right now, i think im gonna go to home depot, ace hardware and see if i could grab a few o rings that fit.....if i do find some then ill post pix asap.

#32 ·
I have read on one of the supra forums that the OEM O ring should be around 3.9mm- 4mm thick and the replica ebay kits O ring is around 3.23mm. Home depot lines are massive, at least here in Toronto. I would recommend using the original since you already bought it for your final installation. At least this way you can become an expert snap ring plier user lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.