Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m also going to vote no. One thing to never skimp on is tires. They are way too important.

·
Registered
2016 RS
20 Posts
They are just fine for dry spirited driving... many shave their track tires to this depth for improved track performance.
However they will be tricky in the rain. I ran the rears on my Corvette down much farther than yours. At a 325mm width, needed to max life out of them!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get new tires, or used tires if you're trying to save money. Then give these tires a proper send off with the assistance of drift mode in a nice empty cop-less parking lot out in the middle of nowhere with some friends. Oh and do record the whole thing. :sneaky:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I see one below 3/32.
Fine for track event in dry to kill them off (probably) but real life driving depends on your summers.
If they may be wet I would have bought new tires.

Krzys

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
As someone who drives a 1989 TransAm with near 500hp on Nitto NT05s I can tell you that how much risk you are willing to take is up to you. When my tires are cold, its nigh impossible to get any traction out of them. 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear wheelspin is barely a poke away with the throttle. And I have to tip toe on any on/off ramp until they warm up.

Did I mention this is when its perfectly dry out? NT05 tires are a near race compound tire, and absolutely hate anything under 50°F. The TransAm is far scarier and far less predictable than a Focus RS will be on MPSS, even at the wear bars.

You can eek another summer out of those, but be careful in inclement conditions such as rain, or cold/frosty mornings. Mind your stopping and following distances when the roads are wet. If its snowing, don't bother, stay home.

Put the two tires with good tread up front, and the ones with crap tread at the back. The fronts will wear out faster than the rears. But be mindful that if something is gonna slide, it will be the rear first. Everybody freaks out about that, which is why all the shops say put the good tires on the rear. This way you get understeer instead of oversteer.

But having grown up on big V8 torquey RWD cars that don't have ABS or TCS, oversteer doesn't bother me, I can deal with it just fine and know how to adjust my driving habits to suit conditions.

That said, if you can afford to replace them, do it NOW.

The nice thing about having snow tires is that if you get a puncture on your summer set, in a pinch you can throw the winter tire on there for a few days while you wait for a new tire to ship.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Damn you must drive you car hard! I got 35,000 miles out of my PSS and wasn't even close to the wear bars.
That's what I say - I have 41,200 on mine and they are "OK" - worn down for sure, but I'll get 45K out of them easy.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts