Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my set of summer tires (original PSS tires that came with the car) are close to/about done. I am trying to figure out if I can squeeze another summer out of these as recent expenses (new roof) are not quite allowing me to drop a grand on a new set of summer tires. These tires have about 13K-15K miles on them as they split time with my all seasons during the late fall/winter time. If not I will most likely keep my all seasons on until next year.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Technically they are already illegal. Those small lateral tabs in the tread grooves are the wear indicators and when the tread wears down to them they are gone legally wise.

Ciao

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Technically they are already illegal. Those small lateral tabs in the tread grooves are the wear indicators and when the tread wears down to them they are gone legally wise.

Ciao
Yeah, I was purposly getting the wear bars in the pictures. Two of the tires are at the wear bars and the other two are just about there, probably needed to rotate them more than I did.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Put me in the "No" camp.

Will they work? Probably. How well? Not great. I wouldn't do any spirited driving on them for sure. The wear bars are usually at 3/32's of an inch and most states say they are "Illegal" at 2/32's. So it's a pretty good indication that they need to go, IMHO.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked and updated my tire log and they have exactly 17,104 miles on them. Last year I ran them from April to November doing 6,060 miles. I was hoping to squeeze the peak summer months out of them (June-August here) but based on the responses it's looking like I probably will have to stick to my all seasons until I replace the summers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Buy a tread depth gauge and measure them if you are going to try, but I really stress that you should refrain from aggressive driving, which will be difficult with an RS, haha. GL!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm seeing between 3 and 4/32's so they are between the "recommended soon" area and the "needs replaced" area. Check out the Engineering Explained explained video on new vs. used tires. He says, worn (not bad) tires may actually have more grip in dry and warm conditions. Obviously grip will be compromised in any adverse condition, but try them out when its gets warm and keep measuring them throughout the season, maybe every other week or so.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you were in Northern California I'd say you will have no problems for one summer (here we almost never see rain between June and September) but since you have snow it probably rains where you are and I'd not feel comfortable driving in the rain with these.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I knew someone once that couldn't quite afford a new set of tires, and he ended up sliding off the road and totaling his car in the rain, just a couple weeks before he planned on finally buying them.

Counterpoint, I've ran brand new extreme tires on the street that had less hydroplane resistance than a set of super sports on the wear bars.

Tread depth doesn't hurt your dry grip, but old age and heat cycles will. So if you do end up running them you should be fine in the dry, but be careful around water.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I drove my PSS to that level and I could hear them squeal and lose grip in corners that I had no issue with before. You can run them as dry weather dailies for one summer, but I wouldn't trust them if there's so much as morning dew on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I've done worst on my Old Evo tires before. I had wires coming out.

As long as you not hooning around, you should be fine for one more summer.

Drive like a granny in hard rain.

Legal wise, they might not be legal.... drive-able, yes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
no rain - ive done it, if possibility for rain then leave on the a/s

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would be careful. I ran mine for just shy of 20,000 miles, down to the wear bars. Driving was spirited on roads in and around Palm Springs, thus real hot pavement. Just a couple of weeks before I planned to replace them, the left rear exploded while under hard acceleration, at around 90mph or so. On the freeway in LA. Somewhat exciting. There was some minor damage to the left rear suspension, but luckily no significant wheel damage. I was lucky. Don't be; repalce them before something unexpected occurs. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts