Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, I hit something in the road today...
Not even sure what it was..
Heard a loud thud/slap and it was gone.
checked out car and everything seems fine... but there are some scuffs on the front plastic section...

in as detailed and simple explanation possible, how would one touch up plastic like this??

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
With a tiny brush and satin black paint.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There is a paint code listed somewhere on the forum for that part, satin black might stand out like dogs balls, if you are super picky that is?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
There is a paint code listed somewhere on the forum for that part, satin black might stand out like dogs balls, if you are super picky that is?
Yep, I had my dogs balls removed for that exact that reason, they stood out too much:)

Ciao

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yep, I had my dogs balls removed for that exact that reason, they stood out too much:)

Ciao

Poor dog!
They say if you do that, you have to give him "red rocket, red rocket "
To make it up to him.
If you dont know, YouTube that.
Hint- Southpark

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
114 Posts
I've had luck with this if you're looking for an exact match: Amazon.com: ScratchesHappen Exact-Match Touch Up Paint Kit Compatible with Ford Nitrous Blue (DW) Tricoat - Bottle, Essential: Automotive

I'm not sure what the paint code is for our bumper cover, but I'm pretty bad at blending/buffing and mine still turned out acceptable with that kit.

Also think there may be a flex agent added since it's polyurethane. Or just carbon fiber wrap it: Carbon Fiber DiNoc (CA-421) on front bumper cover

·
Registered
2016 RS
213 Posts
Poor dog!
To make it up to him.
Hint- Southpark
🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
No help, but a frustrated question...why would Ford, not make the major grill piece solid black? Mine has a dot, which I touch up on occasion. I can’t imagine what winter does to one!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
114 Posts
It comes with base layer, top coat and clear coat, so three bottles. They say to apply base, wait 30 minutes then top, then wait another 30 then clear. The instructions are good, just difficult to actually do it well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m assuming that’s just for the blue paint though right?

im needing to touch up the grill cover.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, the nitrous blue I linked has 3 bottles. I'm assuming the bumper cover is a single satin coat.

Alternatively, you can just buy an auto marker since it's not a bright color, that may work and be much easier.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Personally, touch up paint is super hard to work with. I’d probably use a filler and then just wrap it/carbon fiber awd mods garnish kit.
For what it’s worth, I had my bumper garnish scratched when I took my RS with a front tow hook mounted plate through a drive through car wash! Stupidly forgot to remove the plate and the plate bent back and scratched my garnish. Black sharpie marker worked for me. But I think if I had deeper more extensive scrapes, I’d go with my above mentioned advise. Except that, once you carbon fiber one thing, it’s just a matter of time before your whole damn car is carbon fiber lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, touch up paint is super hard to work with. I’d probably use a filler and then just wrap it/carbon fiber awd mods garnish kit.
For what it’s worth, I had my bumper garnish scratched when I took my RS with a front tow hook mounted plate through a drive through car wash! Stupidly forgot to remove the plate and the plate bent back and scratched my garnish. Black sharpie marker worked for me. But I think if I had deeper more extensive scrapes, I’d go with my above mentioned advise. Except that, once you carbon fiber one thing, it’s just a matter of time before your whole damn car is carbon fiber lol
that’s a pretty good idea! Fairly inexpensive and would probably look better than touch up paint. Thanks 🙏🏻

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Poor dog!
To make it up to him.
Hint- Southpark
Too scared to look that up:)

Ciao

·
Registered
187 Posts
that’s a pretty good idea! Fairly inexpensive and would probably look better than touch up paint. Thanks 🙏🏻
yes sir goodluck. If you happen to go the touch up paint route though, my 3 biggest pieces of advice are 1) get yourself some Microbrushes 2) apply the touch up paint by dabbing and letting the paint transfer rather then brushing it on (leaves a much smoother finish without leaving the brush strokes). 3) choose a nice cool day and do this in the shade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts