Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my Frozen White Focus RS (RS2, forged wheels, Super Sport tires, no sunroof, winter wheel/tire package). I was surprised to see the owners manual supplement does not list tire pressures and only says to see the door jam sticker. I was even more surprised to see the recommend pressures noted on the door jam are 46 front, 46 rear (seemed very high) and the door jam and manual both do not make any reference to different partial load and full load pressures.

So I did some research. The UK owners manual for the Focus RS notes the following:

Normal Load:
-Front: 41 psi
-Rear: 38 psi

Full Load:
-Front: 46 psi
-Rear: 46 psi

So, unless you are loading your car with passengers and/or luggage then you should run the normal load pressures noted above. I wish Ford was like BMW and listed all the various pressures for every wheel/tire/load combination. It seems Ford North America decided to just list the full load pressures.

Now to figure out what Ford recommends for the 18-inch winter wheel/tire package. Luckily, we have time. It's only June.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just make sure that your tire pressure is not uneven, because even a 1.5 PSI imbalance can cause terrible things to happen

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just make sure that your tire pressure is not uneven, because even a 1.5 PSI imbalance can cause terrible things to happen
Do you think that might be overstating, just a bit?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Everyone should check their's as soon as possible. It's one thing most dealerships don't check. When I checked mine, all 4 were at 50 psi, the tire max. I'm sure they leave the factory for the long journey that way, to keep the tires from flat spotting.

Interesting on the normal load specs. I read in here some where, where someone suggested 40 psi in all 4... With one person in the car, she might be a wee bit softer, maybe!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just took delivery of my Frozen White Focus RS (RS2, forged wheels, Super Sport tires, no sunroof, winter wheel/tire package). I was surprised to see the owners manual supplement does not list tire pressures and only says to see the door jam sticker. I was even more surprised to see the recommend pressures noted on the door jam are 46 front, 46 rear (seemed very high) and the door jam and manual both do not make any reference to different partial load and full load pressures.

So I did some research. The UK owners manual for the Focus RS notes the following:

Normal Load:
-Front: 41 psi
-Rear: 38 psi

Full Load:
-Front: 46 psi
-Rear: 46 psi

So, unless you are loading your car with passengers and/or luggage then you should run the normal load pressures noted above. I wish Ford was like BMW and listed all the various pressures for every wheel/tire/load combination. It seems Ford North America decided to just list the full load pressures.

Now to figure out what Ford recommends for the 18-inch winter wheel/tire package. Luckily, we have time. It's only June.
FYI, The tire pressure is posted on the inside of the drivers door jam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On USA cars, only the 46/46 combination (full-load pressures) is listed on the driver's door jam. No mention of the part-load pressures.

FYI, The tire pressure is posted on the inside of the drivers door jam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
I saw this, in person. Cars and Coffee in Blackhawk has never been the same, since. Now there are ALWAYS cops posted outside, ruining our leaving videos =(
This is why we can't have nice things - singular jerks ruining it for the rest of us

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Everyone should check their's as soon as possible. It's one thing most dealerships don't check. When I checked mine, all 4 were at 50 psi, the tire max. I'm sure they leave the factory for the long journey that way, to keep the tires from flat spotting.
This is a very old mentality if it's indeed the case. It is nearly impossible to flat spot steel belted tires. I would venture to say it is impossible in the relatively short time it's on the boat.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can't understate the importance of making sure your PSI is even! :eek:

Reference, wasn't sure if people would get it: How Not To Explain Why You Crashed Your Car, Via This BMW Asshat
Nope. Still call BS!

I reckon 95% of car buffs couldn't tell 1.5 psi across an axle - even if you told them one tyre was down.
Most people can't even tell they have a flat tyre until it starts flapping.

Too much internet, not enough experience. Sorry. My humble opinion.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nope. Still call BS!

I reckon 95% of car buffs couldn't tell 1.5 psi across an axle - even if you told them one tyre was down.

He was making a funny me thinks.....

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nope. Still call BS!

I even gave you a reference link... oh well. :nonchalance:

He was making a funny me thinks.....
There was an attempt :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I even gave you a reference link... oh well. :nonchalance:

There was an attempt :D

I did look at the link and admit I quickly lost interest - the dude sounded like he was searching for excuses why he launched, full speed, across a divided road.
He is a pillock and shouldn't be driving...1.5psi or not! (edit - ESC, all the way for some :) )

Perhaps the internet hasn't conveyed intonation of the comment - appologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I did look at the link and admit I quickly lost interest - the dude sounded like he was searching for excuses why he launched, full speed, across a divided road.
He is a pillock and shouldn't be driving...1.5psi or not! (edit - ESC, all the way for some :) )

Perhaps the internet hasn't conveyed intonation of the comment - appologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.
Haha, yeah, it's a long read. Toward the bottom the BMW owner goes onto this long tirade about how he was trying to make sure the PSI was even, but because he didn't do it right the PSI was uneven, and thus the car was pulling to the side, yada yada. Anyway, it's a popular reference on jalopnik.com, and I failed to account that most people aren't on that site!

·
Registered
742 Posts
There has been a severe lack of smileys in our trolling posts lately. I got it, but some may not.

Smileys save lives....:wink-new:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I can't understate the importance of making sure your PSI is even! :eek:

Reference, wasn't sure if people would get it: How Not To Explain Why You Crashed Your Car, Via This BMW Asshat
Owned many AWD cares with heavier front ends. Most mfgrs will recommend 2-4 lbs higher front tire pressure in normal load conditions to handle the front biased weight. When Ford and Michelin developed these specific tires (PSS 19" ) they used a stiffer front construction to handle the GVW.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts