Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
To avoid duplicates I will continue in this topic only. So, basically Ford announced that their RS can do track runs for 30 mins without any problems. Reading that I event can't think about such overheating problems. From my side I believe I added best mods to avoid overheating, that is CSF cooler radiator + water and redline water wetter, CSF oil cooler + redline 5w50 oil, ETS intercooler
They are not the only company saying that.
You should see M Power BMWs or McLaren's in Limp mode after a few laps on the Ring.
Those cars cost between 2 - 10 times more than the RS.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I ran 1 hour at excessive speed to try to match your temperatures.
I could not. Mine stays cool and when I got home I did not even hear the fans kicking in.
My coolant temperature usually is at 93 but this time as I was pushing the car harder for you I had 90 degrees.
The cooling system on my car kicked in.

Change your map to one that does not have such an impact on vital temperatures on cooling.
The fact that you did not finish one lap on this new track leads me to believe something is very wrong there.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: fbaltona

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are you running all these mods and using an OTS Cobb map?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are you running all these mods and using an OTS Cobb map?
Yes. There are no ford tuners in my country so I had no choice. I already asked one of the cobb eu pro tuner to do custom ecu tune and he agreed to help

·
Registered
776 Posts
I remember when my Ford RS was without mods I done the lap above in 1.27.2 without any overheating issues. And then I added COBB and intake, then exhaust, and so on... and from that time I wasn't able to get the stock car time :( Next week I will get custom ECU tuning to get rid of s**it COBB maps, hope that will help.
One thing to always remember is that power is generated by heat with which we try to manage it. More power is always more heat. Now exaggerate this with improper timing and ****s goes awry fast. I’d be willing to bet its running lean and the inabaility of the fuel to cool rests the job solely on the radiator system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just a small update. I got a custom ECU tune from local cobb pro tuner. The car fills great and much faster! Also we reduced the temperatures at which the fun come on. The first speed fun is starts on 94km (58m) and second on 103km (64m)

Does anybody knows at which temperature our stock thermostat becomes open? Is there some aftermarket lower temperature thermostats? I would like to have one

Using cobb maps my RS was doing 100-200km (I believe it's 60 -130 in miles) in average 13.5 sec, after custom tune it can doit in average 11.2 sec time. In my point of view it's a huge improvement

in couple days I will take my RS to one small track and will see if its still overheating so fast

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just a small update. I got a custom ECU tune from local cobb pro tuner. The car fills great and much faster! Also we reduced the temperatures at which the fun come on. The first speed fun is starts on 94km (58m) and second on 103km (64m)

Does anybody knows at which temperature our stock thermostat becomes open? Is there some aftermarket lower temperature thermostats? I would like to have one

Using cobb maps my RS was doing 100-200km (I believe it's 60 -130 in miles) in average 13.5 sec, after custom tune it can doit in average 11.2 sec time. In my point of view it's a huge improvement

in couple days I will take my RS to one small track and will see if its still overheating so fast
Here's a lower temp thermostat:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So, It looks like my main overheating problems was in cobb maps that I run on the track. I got custom ecu tune and done about 10+10 laps on small track without getting slowed down by the coolant/oil limits.
The track is average 31 sec and it's 2-nd and 3-re gears all time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So, It looks like my main overheating problems was in cobb maps that I run on the track. I got custom ecu tune and done about 10+10 laps on small track without getting slowed down by the coolant/oil limits.
Thanks for the feedback.So what changes were made to the tune? mixture, timing boost or all three?

Ciao

·
Registered
766 Posts
Great progress.
Happy to hear you are getting there.
Check for oil leaks :).

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just wanted to post on my experience from last weekend:

Thunderhill West (2mi)
7-20 min sessions, only did 6 because it was waaaay too hot for me
Only 2 main straights and I only reach about 85-90mph by the end of it
I would typically keep going until either my tires get too greasy, brakes start to fade or oil temps reach 260F

Stock radiator
Stock oil cooler
Upgraded intercooler & charge pipes
hoodvents

Ambient temp: 108F by late afternoon
Max coolant temp: 230F (Cobb AP)
Max oil temp: 260F after 10-15mins (Cobb AP)
I would do 1-2 cool down laps to get the oil temp back down to around 240F, then back at it, but by that time, I'd only have 1-2 laps left before the session is over.

no coolant overheating
no RDU shut down

YMMV

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just wanted to post on my experience from last weekend:

Thunderhill West (2mi)
7-20 min sessions, only did 6 because it was waaaay too hot for me
Only 2 main straights and I only reach about 85-90mph by the end of it
I would typically keep going until either my tires get too greasy, brakes start to fade or oil temps reach 260F

Stock radiator
Stock oil cooler
Upgraded intercooler & charge pipes
hoodvents

Ambient temp: 108F by late afternoon
Max coolant temp: 230F (Cobb AP)
Max oil temp: 260F after 10-15mins (Cobb AP)

no coolant overheating
no RDU shut down

YMMV
So I should avoid your used car in future, lol............?:love:I kid

21 - 33 of 33 Posts