Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you work on your own car at all, you NEED these. They make it so much easier to get the car in the air and place jackstands appropriately.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I noticed these are no longer available on their website. Does any one know why?
Yes, sorry, but these were very expensive to have CNC machined. We took a pretty big $ gamble and had a lot of them made because we saw the pent-up demand. However, we have just sold out of them and it is just hard to rationalize to take the risk again. To maintain these prices on a subsequent "batch" we would need to have a minimum of (50) owners interested. Not sure if anyone has the interest to stir up a Group Buy interest but I think it will take something like that to develop a second batch. As FYI - we initially looked at getting these done in Delrin (although we'd likely have to defend the strength of Delrin to the doubters) - but as it turns out the quotes we got back from manufacturers, Delrin was slightly *more* expensive than the billet aluminum that we went with.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yes, sorry, but these were very expensive to have CNC machined. We took a pretty big $ gamble and had a lot of them made because we saw the pent-up demand. However, we have just sold out of them and it is just hard to rationalize to take the risk again. To maintain these prices on a subsequent "batch" we would need to have a minimum of (50) owners interested. Not sure if anyone has the interest to stir up a Group Buy interest but I think it will take something like that to develop a second batch. As FYI - we initially looked at getting these done in Delrin (although we'd likely have to defend the strength of Delrin to the doubters) - but as it turns out the quotes we got back from manufacturers, Delrin was slightly *more* expensive than the billet aluminum that we went with.
I noticed these are no longer available on their website. Does any one know why?
Crap..I was hoping these were still available. Group buy option maybe?
Damn, I just learned about this just now. I wasn't too big of a fan of the Steeda's and was really interested in these. I guess add me to the group buy list. Only 47 to go! lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
Damn, I just learned about this just now. I wasn't too big of a fan of the Steeda's and was really interested in these. I guess add me to the group buy list. Only 47 to go! lol
I'm not trying to discount Cool Tech one bit, but if you want this solution go for what Steeda is offering.

I was all about Cool Tech's offering until I realised the Steeda rails were available. Which is why I bought the Cool Tech rails and then returned them.

Cool Tech put out a great and focused product, but drilling holes into a new car was not very appealing.

In all honesty you get the same offering with less compromise from Steeda. The only reason I could see not liking the Steeda product is if you wanted to be slammed, as I feel it sits quite a bit lower overall compared to the cool tech rail.

Of note, I was also one of the folks that voted for a red version of the Cool Tech rails.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm not trying to discount Cool Tech one bit, but if you want this solution go for what Steeda is offering.

I was all about Cool Tech's offering until I realised the Steeda rails were available. Which is why I bought the Cool Tech rails and then returned them.

Cool Tech put out a great and focused product, but drilling holes into a new car was not very appealing.

In all honesty you get the same offering with less compromise from Steeda. The only reason I could see not liking the Steeda product is if you wanted to be slammed, as I feel it sits quite a bit lower overall compared to the cool tech rail.

Of note, I was also one of the folks that voted for a red version of the Cool Tech rails.
Thanks for the input. I wasn't planning on being "slammed" but ground clearance was part of my concern. I have a very steep driveway that forces me to go up and over the side walk (my garage is under my house) so I run the risk of "high centering" as I go in and out of my drive way. The cool tech looked a lot lower profile and the short length meant I was less likely to ride on the rails as I go.

I may just forego the whole jack rail thing and figure out a different way to jack the fronts to get them on jack stands.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
This isn't quite accurate. There are two EXISTING holes (per side) that are being resized (approximately 1/32") so that we can get the proper fitment of the rivet nuts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This isn't quite accurate. There are two EXISTING holes (per side) that are being resized (approximately 1/32") so that we can get the proper fitment of the rivet nuts.
True, but it does leave room for user error.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like I got my order in just in time! Very glad I was able to go with this option. My rails arrived on Tuesday and looking forward to getting them installed.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'd be really interested in these at a $100 price point. Cooltech makes quality kit, no doubt but the RS tax always kills me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
what is recommended to re-seal the holes we have to enlarge so it doesnt rust ?
I will be priming and painting the holes. Couple quick shots from the old rattle can. The rubber wellnuts will also seal that area up too.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
just got mine in today that i got during the group/rebuy

have a question, what is the long bolt for ? ( i got the install kit, understand the drillbit, rivet install bolt, and everything other then the long bolt )

The RS-specific Jack Rails have arrived!!! A first batch is in stock and ready for shipping!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
just got mine in today that i got during the group/rebuy

have a question, what is the long bolt for ? ( i got the install kit, understand the drillbit, rivet install bolt, and everything other then the long bolt )
I do believe it is to finagle the rivet nuts if necessary. After you install the rivet nuts, there could be a slight difference in center point measurement. Use the long bolt (along with a hammer) to tap the rivet nuts over slightly if necessary.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts