Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Havent seen this posted up yet, cool little graphic with history. Funny little detail is the speed video shows 4.4 0-60 on the screen cap but the video says 4.7.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/geek-out-over-the-ford-focus-rs-with-this-awesome-interactive-infographic/
The 4.7 time is not to 60 mph, it's to 100 kph, which is about 62.137119 mph.... so no contradiction.

And that time to sixty drops down to 4.2 sec with the PS Cups, according to a Ford PPT slide posted somewhere else on this forum. That puts it well into Mustang GT territory - although the Mustang probably has an advantage at higher speeds and will likely best it in the quarter.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Not sure how you are seeing something other than the original claim of 0-100 m/hr in 4.7 sec.
The graphic shows 4.4 sec to 94 km/h, not 100. The conversion to 60 mph works out to just over 4.53 seconds. And that is with sport cup 2s.
The GT is listed at 4.4 tho so still faster than the RS

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not sure how you are seeing something other than the original claim of 0-100 m/hr in 4.7 sec.
The graphic shows 4.4 sec to 94 km/h, not 100. The conversion to 60 mph works out to just over 4.53 seconds. And that is with sport cup 2s.
The GT is listed at 4.4 tho so still faster than the RS
You can't do a straight linear proportional conversion of the 0-100 kph time to the 60 mph time, that should be obvious - the car will be accelerating at a faster rate initially than in the interval between 60 mph and 100 kph. So converting down to 60 mph linearly gives too slow a 0-60 time.

Ford has indicated in a PPT that the 0-60 time on the standard PSSs is 4.4, and as documented elsewhere on this forum a Ford engineer has stated that .2 seconds gets knocked off that when you run on PS Cups.

EDIT - there's a photo of a Ford presentation with a slide up somewhere on this forum that shows the 4.4 time and notes that time will be better with the PSCs - did anyone save that and can post here? I can't find it ATM....

From the C&D deep dive with Ford Performance’s vehicle engineering manager:
Buyers will be able to choose between two different Michelin tires: Pilot Super Sports come as standard, but there’s also the option of track-biased Pilot Sport Cup 2s. These are, Johnson says, grippy enough to take two-tenths off the standard zero-to-60-mph time by themselves.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I can't wait for first drives, tests and reviews, but 4.4 seconds in a sub 50k car with all weather capability? I ain't complaining!

·
Registered
720 Posts
You can't do a straight linear proportional conversion of the 0-100 kph time to the 60 mph time, that should be obvious - the car will be accelerating at a faster rate initially than in the interval between 60 mph and 100 kph. So converting down to 60 mph linearly gives too slow a 0-60 time.

Ford has indicated in a PPT that the 0-60 time on the standard PSSs is 4.4, and as documented elsewhere on this forum a Ford engineer has stated that .2 seconds gets knocked off that when you run on PS Cups.

EDIT - there's a photo of a Ford presentation with a slide up somewhere on this forum that shows the 4.4 time and notes that time will be better with the PSCs - did anyone save that and can post here? I can't find it ATM....

From the C&D deep dive with Ford Performance’s vehicle engineering manager:
I just found a converter online for acceleration which shows a 4.7 second 0-100 kmh has a 4.53 sec 0-60 mph conversion. But hey I didn't program it so can't be held responsible for it's accuracy (it does appear to be linear). As far as the Sport Cup 2's shaving 0.2 sec off, that's great. My car is coming with Sport Cup 2's because like everyone else in Canada that's what we are getting. Funny Ford wouldn't have used them when doing the commercial though just to cut down the 0-100 time in the ad (4.7 seconds). The only thing I was pointing out was the graphic, I got the impression rbernhard1984 thought it was saying 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, what it did say was 4.4 sec at 94 kmh, not 100 kmh. Regardless, if we get to 4.2 that's awesome, if not that's what mountune is there for.

Edit: Found the ppt. Nice. Hopefully we see those times here in NA (I noticed that the ppt shows both imperial and metric values - 350 PS/0-60 mph). Only reason I say that is it sounds like our version might be heavier than euro spec.
0-60 (1024x683).jpg

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just found a converter online for acceleration which shows a 4.7 second 0-100 kmh has a 4.53 sec 0-60 mph conversion. But hey I didn't program it so can't be held responsible for it's accuracy (it does appear to be linear). As far as the Sport Cup 2's shaving 0.2 sec off, that's great. I ordered them on mine. Funny Ford wouldn't have used them when doing the commercial though just to cut down the 0-100 time in the ad (4.7 seconds). The only thing I was pointing out was the graphic, I got the impression rbernhard1984 thought it was saying 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, what it did say was 4.4 sec at 94 kmh, not 100 kmh. Regardless, if we get to 4.2 that's awesome, if not that's what mountune is there for.
I did check the math earlier and yes the conversion was linear. As to timing acceleration with the PSSs rather than the PSCs, Ford's just crossing its legal t's and dotting its i's here, it doesn't want to be accused of fraud and so is using runs done using the standard equipment.

As to ordering your car with PSC2s - if your location in your sig is correct (Alberta) then that's the only way you could have ordered the RS, PSSs are not available in Canada.....

·
Registered
720 Posts
As to ordering your car with PSC2s - if your location in your sig is correct (Alberta) then that's the only way you could have ordered the RS, PSSs are not available in Canada.....
umm - yup. Didn't say otherwise. Also got a moonroof..and winter tires.. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just found a converter online for acceleration which shows a 4.7 second 0-100 kmh has a 4.53 sec 0-60 mph conversion. But hey I didn't program it so can't be held responsible for it's accuracy (it does appear to be linear). As far as the Sport Cup 2's shaving 0.2 sec off, that's great. I ordered them on mine. Funny Ford wouldn't have used them when doing the commercial though just to cut down the 0-100 time in the ad (4.7 seconds). The only thing I was pointing out was the graphic, I got the impression rbernhard1984 thought it was saying 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, what it did say was 4.4 sec at 94 kmh, not 100 kmh. Regardless, if we get to 4.2 that's awesome, if not that's what mountune is there for.

Edit: Found the ppt. Nice. Hopefully we see those times here in NA (I noticed that the ppt shows both imperial and metric values - 350 PS/0-60 mph). Only reason I say that is it sounds like our version might be heavier than euro spec.
View attachment 2284
Yeah this is the screen cap I saw that said 4.4, yet the video still shows 4.7, which as you point out equals 4.5ish. Just seems like they don't have the final time nailed down.

However, the main point in posting was the graphic has a bunch of cool history on the RS moniker, not to start a 0-60 war lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah this is the screen cap I saw that said 4.4, yet the video still shows 4.7, which as you point out equals 4.5ish. Just seems like they don't have the final time nailed down.

However, the main point in posting was the graphic has a bunch of cool history on the RS moniker, not to start a 0-60 war lol
All good. I'm a lover not a fighter, and an RS driver.....

sorry inside joke :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
umm - yup. Didn't say otherwise. Also got a moonroof..and winter tires.. :)
Anyone who states "I ordered my car with X" is implying that it could have been ordered without X - which is not the case here. Otherwise it's about as meaningful as stating "I ordered my car with an engine".

·
Registered
720 Posts
Anyone who states "I ordered my car with X" is implying that it could have been ordered without X - which is not the case here. Otherwise it's about as meaningful as stating "I ordered my car with an engine".
LOL, sorry I should have worded it "my car is coming with Sport Cup 2's because like everyone else in Canada that's what we are getting". I guess I didn't think of the consequences that may have in the forums. If only I could go back in time to fix it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts