Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering a Ford Focus RS (alongside the Raptor, Charger Daytona, and Charger Hellcat). Obviously those vehicles are all different in many ways but the most obvious is that the RS is the only one that's ONLY available as a stickshift. I've driven a stickshift 1-2 times total in my lifetime and I'm 36 so would basically be starting from scratch.

What are your thoughts on the Focus RS for someone who has never driven stick before?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering a Ford Focus RS (alongside the Raptor, Charger Daytona, and Charger Hellcat). Obviously those vehicles are all different in many ways but the most obvious is that the RS is the only one that's ONLY available as a stickshift. I've driven a stickshift 1-2 times total in my lifetime and I'm 36 so would basically be starting from scratch.

What are your thoughts on the Focus RS for someone who has never driven stick before?
Have driven manual my whole life and can say the RS is the easiest car to drive I've ever driven. You'll be fine, get it man!

If you don't have someone competent to help you, go to youtube and watch Matt Farah's "How to drive manual" (TheSmokingTire). Do what he says and you'll learn how to drive it properly and relatively quickly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Though I'd driven stick here and there a few times, the RS was my first manual transmission car. It was pretty easy to learn. The auto-blip of the throttle as you release the clutch (from a stop) helps to get the car going and not stall, but some people don't like that feature as it's different from other manual cars. If you're like me, you'll stall the engine here and there for the first few weeks or months, but then driving just becomes second nature.

However, given your other vehicles you're cross shopping, I'd definitely get the Raptor. Better resale, more utility, still pretty fun.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
As long as you’re not some 17 year old kid on parents money, you’ll be just fine. The RS is the easiest manual I’ve driven

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
RS's clutch is more forgiving I would say compared to the Evos I had in the past.

You'll be ok, just be conservative at first till you get more comfortable.

We hope to see you here more often.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I think the RS will be just fine as a 1st manual car. I've been driving manual cars most of my life and the only thing about the RS that threw me off initially was the auto start/stop and the auto recover feature when you do stall, but that's probably because I'm used to driving older cars that do not have the function more so than driving stick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When my wife learned to drive stick, we did it on a rental car for a weekend. Not sure what you can rent these days with a stick though.
If you can, it would save a little wear and tear on the clutch

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
When my wife learned to drive stick, we did it on a rental car for a weekend. Not sure what you can rent these days with a stick though.
If you can, it would save a little wear and tear on the clutch
Unfortunately, most rental places I know of pretty have most of their fleets exclusively automatic cars. If you look on their sites, there isn't even an option to pick a manual trans car most of the time. The only way I've found to get one is to call ahead of time and see if they have one on location, and even that is a wash. Easier option is to look for something on Turo, but even that I think is a bit of a d1ck move. I would suggest asking around friends and family, there's almost always somebody out there with a sh1tbox manual econocar to learn on. I know my old 91 Civic EX manual has thought at least 6 people how to drive stick, and its still on its stock clutch lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
with hill assist and anti-stall - manuals are easy to drive now in general...clutch spring is tight on the RS, so many have opted for the steeda spring upgrade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am in agreement with the majority of what people are saying here. The RS is a very easy manual transmission to drive...the only easier one I have ever owned/driven was a Golf R, but it was less fun to drive than the RS so there ya go.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's the easiest manual I have ever driven... you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
If you decide to buy the RS, be smart about it. Make them let you take a manual Fiesta or Focus out, base model, ST, whatever. Go grind gears learning on someone else’s car.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
If you decide to buy the RS, be smart about it. Make them let you take a manual Fiesta or Focus out, base model, ST, whatever. Go grind gears learning on someone else’s car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts