Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am having a strange and very intermittent issue. Yesterday I drove to work and parked my car in their lot. I went out for lunch about 4 hours later and had a lot of condensation on the inside of the windshield, only on the driver side. This has happened a few times in the past but not often. I don’t recall this happened to any other car I have owned.

I live in Wisconsin, yesterday was clear and sunny but pretty cold at 20*. I have WeatherTech on all the floors. The mats were not wet and all windows were rolled up. I checked all floorboards and could not find any wet spots either.

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue before? Is there some sort of seal that might need to be replaced? I did have a leak coming from the hatch but Ford repaired that under warranty telling me a piece was missing.

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same problem here, tracked down to a simple issue. Check that your air conditioning is not turned off! When turned off the humidity levels in the car can climb to the point of condensation, particularly if you get into the car while it is snowing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same problem here, tracked down to a simple issue. Check that your air conditioning is not turned off! When turned off the humidity levels in the car can climb to the point of condensation, particularly if you get into the car while it is snowing.
I always have the blower on heat during the winter. Usually on the lowest setting and front defrost but will adjust as needed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm guessing it's just the moisture that came out of you and settled down after you left, as air temperature goes down it could hold less moisture, and the excess moisture will condensate into droplets. I have a habit of sitting around for a bit after turning off the car but before exiting, and this happened sometimes when it's cold out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing it's just the moisture that came out of you and settled down after you left, as air temperature goes down it could hold less moisture, and the excess moisture will condensate into droplets. I have a habit of sitting around for a bit after turning off the car but before exiting, and this happened sometimes when it's cold out.
that could be, just seems like it shouldn't happen. I looked at other cars in the lot and did not see any with this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I've had this happen in my ST and RS a few times. Usually when the temperature swings wildly from warm and muggy to cold. I didn't really notice it until one night driving home from the airport after parking my car for 2 weeks. I noticed the windshield looked like someone opened a can of coke and sprayed the inside of the windshield. there were long drip trails going from about rear view mirror height to the dash. I thought someone was drinking in my car. Even accused a few people of doing that. Until one morning I saw the condensation myself.

Now I have seen cars that were flooded do this when they were sealed up. All of the soggy carpets and seats hold a lot of moisture. Check to see if your seats are moist, or maybe the arm rest on the doors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had this happen in my ST and RS a few times. Usually when the temperature swings wildly from warm and muggy to cold. I didn't really notice it until one night driving home from the airport after parking my car for 2 weeks. I noticed the windshield looked like someone opened a can of coke and sprayed the inside of the windshield. there were long drip trails going from about rear view mirror height to the dash. I thought someone was drinking in my car. Even accused a few people of doing that. Until one morning I saw the condensation myself.

Now I have seen cars that were flooded do this when they were sealed up. All of the soggy carpets and seats hold a lot of moisture. Check to see if your seats are moist, or maybe the arm rest on the doors.
checked seas and carpets, all dry. i have weathertech so no damp floor mats either. also i never leave drinks in the car either.

maybe i am just overthinking this lol

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Any incident in the car that might cause condensation?

? ? ? ? ?

Reactions: spdynasty

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Can also be sunroof drain tubes

·
Registered
454 Posts
The INSIDE of my windshield frosts up pretty bad every now and then. Drives me absolutely nuts! Takes a good 10 minutes to defrost before I can see enough to safely drive anywhere.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I keep quite a few bags of silica gel in my hatch and it really helps cut down on condensation

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you've accidentally set the climate control to recirculate, then you can get humidity to build up in the car while driving. You might not notice it in the moment, but when it cools off you can get condensation on the windshield like that.

If it were consistent and a much older car, I'd say you've sprung a (tiny) leak in the heater core, but that's very unlikely for something that's just a couple years old.

·
Registered
2017 FoRS (Stock)
8 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 stock FoRS in May (2020) that had 32000 miles and I just absolutely love the car—it’s a decades more advanced than my previous 2002 Impreza WRX, also stock, and I was very happy with it, but it was time to upgrade. I also noticed this massive moisture issue inside, twice, before realizing the A/C button has to be on when the defroster is on—it didn’t matter if the temp was high, it took a bit to figure it out, especially the second time because I honestly thought there was a significant leak somewhere inside and couldn’t figure out where and how. Needless to say, the defroster ON with A/C ON solves the issue.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
checked seas and carpets, all dry. i have weathertech so no damp floor mats either. also i never leave drinks in the car either.

maybe i am just overthinking this lol
Yep, the only time I've had this happen in 45 years of owning cars in all types of climates is when the car has a water leak and holds moisture inside the cabin. Check the carpets for dampness. I had a car for a few years that leaked so much in the rain it had grass growing in the passengers foot well carpet:)

Ciao

·
Registered
2017 FoRS (Stock)
8 Posts
Yep, the only time I've had this happen in 45 years of owning cars in all types of climates is when the car has a water leak and holds moisture inside the cabin. Check the carpets for dampness. I had a car for a few years that leaked so much in the rain it had grass growing in the passengers foot well carpet:)

Ciao
I also just noticed on the passenger side of the console, there were droplets of water—is this because I had the A/C running on for a whole hour trip and it’s a byproduct of condensation or is it something I should be concerned about? I looked a ton on this forum for any help on that, but couldn’t find it—maybe my query words weren’t correct.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!

AK

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I also just noticed on the passenger side of the console, there were droplets of water—is this because I had the A/C running on for a whole hour trip and it’s a byproduct of condensation or is it something I should be concerned about? I looked a ton on this forum for any help on that, but couldn’t find it—maybe my query words weren’t correct.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!

AK
The A/C should not create any cabin moisture.There is a collector and external drain off the evaporator so any water formed is directed outside the car. I suggest you check the drain is free of obstructions.

Ciao

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 stock FoRS in May (2020) that had 32000 miles and I just absolutely love the car—it’s a decades more advanced than my previous 2002 Impreza WRX, also stock, and I was very happy with it, but it was time to upgrade. I also noticed this massive moisture issue inside, twice, before realizing the A/C button has to be on when the defroster is on—it didn’t matter if the temp was high, it took a bit to figure it out, especially the second time because I honestly thought there was a significant leak somewhere inside and couldn’t figure out where and how. Needless to say, the defroster ON with A/C ON solves the issue.
When you run the windshield defroster the A/C automatically turns on even if you don't press the button. In our last 4 cars (2 Fords and 2 Mazdas) this is by design so that the windshield doesn't get condensation. During humid weather you might see some minor condensation on the outside of the windshield if you are not driving very fast (happens in SF Bay Area traffic at times).

·
Registered
2017 FoRS (Stock)
8 Posts
The A/C should not create any cabin moisture.There is a collector and external drain off the evaporator so any water formed is directed outside the car. I suggest you check the drain is free of obstructions.

Ciao
Cheers for that! Will check and reply back.

·
Registered
2017 FoRS (Stock)
8 Posts
When you run the windshield defroster the A/C automatically turns on even if you don't press the button. In our last 4 cars (2 Fords and 2 Mazdas) this is by design so that the windshield doesn't get condensation. During humid weather you might see some minor condensation on the outside of the windshield if you are not driving very fast (happens in SF Bay Area traffic at times).
Cheers for the help!
AK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts