Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

I'm currently awaiting delivery (today) of my lightly used (6k mile) 2018 RS in race red.

Little auto background, I started life with an Arctic white 30th 97 Camaro RS. Have owned an 89 black v6 Camaro, 92 GMC s15 5 spd iron Duke, a 93 red s10 v6 5 spd and my two loves. First a 00 z28 that was high 11 on Bolton's w drs. Second an Audi B6 A4 M5 in gray that I believe is responsible for me wanting this small turbo awd car! I've spend the last 4 years in a comfy and somewhat quick (14.0) 3.6L AWD 200 S in blue. I also have a crappy white 94 z28 that just takes up room in my garage.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning about this remarkable hatch.

Cheers
Bill from NJ

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Welcome! Quite the selection of cars you've owned there. Why no interest in a Camaro 1LE? Just curious since a lot of the RS track guys I know have recently all jumped over that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! Quite the selection of cars you've owned there. Why no interest in a Camaro 1LE? Just curious since a lot of the RS track guys I know have recently all jumped over that way.
Certainly, while the 1le is an amazing car they really screwed the pooch on the last two years looks wise. I love the 16 on the alpha platform and would be my car of choice. We are planning on a little one however and this is the one that the wife gave the okay on...little does she know haha. Not planning on track days for this car but mods are already in the budget. Luckily I have a mod friendly dealer for the remainder of the factory. Small steps first a DV+ and I think what you guys would call charge pipes? Turbo to ic and ic to tb poly pipes. Just looking for that sweet turbo sound.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Certainly, while the 1le is an amazing car they really screwed the pooch on the last two years looks wise. I love the 16 on the alpha platform and would be my car of choice. We are planning on a little one however and this is the one that the wife gave the okay on...little does she know haha. Not planning on track days for this car but mods are already in the budget. Luckily I have a mod friendly dealer for the remainder of the factory. Small steps first a DV+ and I think what you guys would call charge pipes? Turbo to ic and ic to tb poly pipes. Just looking for that sweet turbo sound.
True, I'd agree the model evolution over the last gen wasn't the smoothest, but the 1LE definitely looks mean in track guise. Coming from a BRZ, which I'm guessing has a similarly sized interior, I was able to make it work with our first kid. Once the 2nd came along, it was physically impossible haha, so the RS was my compromise.

What's a DV+? Diverter valve? Never been a fan of them since the noise reminds me more of a bus/big rig's air brakes than anything haha. An open end airfilter is another mod you can do to get some more turbo wooshy noises. Charge pipes are meh to be honest. Only reason I upgraded mine was because I upgraded the IC, which meant I can't use existing. Plus I wanted to make sure everything fit and didn't want to blow hoses.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Charge pipes supposedly do help for more turbo sound. So far I've kept things fairly stock but quite happy with the resulting induction sounds from removing my hood liner, adding an open K&N type filter and replacing the factory accordian induction elbow with a silicone type. WAY more noises now and no dreaded "coke bottle" whistling.

I did have the whistle noise with filter and hood liner removed but added the elbow and it went away almost 100%... weird. I even bought a SSC in anticipation of even more coke bottle sound after the elbow install....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome, come check out the NJST page. There are a bunch of us who hang out all over nj and a big group of track fanatics who volunteer for scca and nasa. We also get a hyper drive sessions where for $50 you get a 20 minute session, instructor and a classroom course on road course racing.

I’m from Camden County NJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charge pipes supposedly do help for more turbo sound. So far I've kept things fairly stock but quite happy with the resulting induction sounds from removing my hood liner, adding an open K&N type filter and replacing the factory accordian induction elbow with a silicone type. WAY more noises now and no dreaded "coke bottle" whistling.

I did have the whistle noise with filter and hood liner removed but added the elbow and it went away almost 100%... weird. I even bought a SSC in anticipation of even more coke bottle sound after the elbow install....
Good info! I'll certainly start with that elbow!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, come check out the NJST page. There are a bunch of us who hang out all over nj and a big group of track fanatics who volunteer for scca and nasa. We also get a hyper drive sessions where for $50 you get a 20 minute session, instructor and a classroom course on road course racing.

I’m from Camden County NJ
Will do! I'm in Burlington Co.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If your on Facebook drop me a message here and we can add you to the Forza group and the chat if you want to join.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts