Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I thinking right?

17" 195/50 17R Blizzaks. maybe 195/55

I have to buy both wheels and tires, so might as well do it right.

Taller is good.
Narrower is good

17" tires are noticeably cheaper than comp 18"

the taller sidewall should be "damage resistant" compared to 18" and 19" - and cheaper to fix if needed.

I'm seeing some change the brakes out for 15" wheels. Is that the better option? Not cheap the first time,,
I think 17x7.5 or 17x8 wheels - wide, just not as wide.
17" seems to be a good choice - maybe $600 - $1000 cheaper than a new 18" set up. Where's the downside?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don’t think 17” wheels will clear the brakes. Just look up the stock 18” winter wheel width (tires are 225/40R18) and use that. At a certain point, you still want winter tires that are wide enough to put down power effectively.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don’t think 17” wheels will clear the brakes. Just look up the stock 18” wheels size (tires are 18R225/40) and use that.
There's a thread on it somewhere in the wheel amd tire section. There's only two different set of 17s that are known to fit unless they found another one that I missed. If you need them this winter good luck getting the braids in time though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
What they said.

There are 2 dimensions that are critical for the fronts, not only diameter (I wouldn't try anything smaller than an 18" either), but offset as well. You need enough offset to clear the surface of the front calipers that has Brembo printed on it. Good luck with what ever you choose!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I thought the 17” that fit was a spare from a Volvo?

memory is foggy

honestly 18” is fine though. The tire choice matters more than the wheel diameter.

Reactions: Wiley Marmot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
18" wheels and tires will cost 600-1000 more than a set of 17"

That will cover a aluminum drip pan and splash plate.

I find a butt load of posts for taller sidewalls for potholes and ice blocks - Some, seem to ASSumes if one set of 17" won't fit, none will; yet for the determined - there are options that fit, work well and prove the nawsayers to be blowhards.

Winter tires for me - dont need speed ratings, and 9 inch wide tires in slush snow and cold are a PITA.

Lets roll down to 7" wide - maybe 1"-1.250 taller raise the car 1/2" or so. Increase the weight loading - penetration.

My experience with 4wd trucks, skinny stock tires bite better all winter long. Wide tires can ride on top, or snowplow under braking. driving techniques differ, but seems worth consideration.

Those that have done the swap, wouldn't go back; which is a higher endorsement than a reference to volvo wheels, but so far there are only 2 know wheels that fit.
I have a source that has CAD/CAM software that is checking clearances with other makers.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I would never compromise the RS braking ability by swapping to a smaller rotor as they do so much more than just stopping.

If you want a 17” because you think you need the sidewall it won’t gain you much resistance to pot holes.

narrower is better to a point. The stock winter package is a 7.5” rim.

I ran a 205 wide tire on a16” rim on my st. Honestly it sucked any time the pavement was clear.The st ‘s torque chewed through the winter rubber.
Sure it was cheaper. But I would spin the tires and not even know it. Couldn’t even make full boost because the tires would let go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Probably safe to say our winter driving modes are vastly different.
full boost, theres your problem, ITS WINTER. WOT never happens - ok, almost never. same for speed and any corner.
The point is - 17" wheels fit with stock brakes - at least some 17" wheels.

Seems to be a group of Rally drivers that have tried 17's and found them superior - so I'd love to hear from someone with experience on the topic.

For me, performance driving in the winter usually involves being able to avoid contact with flatlanders that think they should be able to drive on snow and ice pushing boost on public roads in traffic.
And - I'm pretty sure if the tires are spinning - I KNOW! so I find your post - suspicious and confrontational. again.

I've heard your opinion - we can agree to not agree. I'd love to hear from people with actual experience.

From the 5 year old thread: Team Dynamics and BRAID wheels do fit
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Not being confrontational. You asked about 17’s I pointed you in a direction even if I didn’t remember all the details.

You speak cost, but post a team dynamics wheel. those aren’t exactly “cheap”.

I paid $105/wheel for my sport edition p4 18x8 rims. And they had other 18x7.5 options.

·
Registered
808 Posts
You asked for our opinions; "Am I thinking right?" which is what we offered. Of course; you're free to listen to as much, or as little of them as you like.

Then; after receiving our opinions you imply we're "ASSumes"; because we offered opinions as requested.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I bought the RS 2 months ago.

I've read the entire 20 page thread on 17" wheels that is 3 or 4 years old. - it recommends starting a new thread.

I can't count the posts about 18" winter wheels and wanting MORE sidewall.

195 - 205 wide 50 maybe 55 series - 17 inch - if the wheels clear the brakes - seems to make a lot of sense. - I think 1'-1-1/2 taller gives and extra 1/2"+ ground clearance for those ice chunks

I don't anticipate wide open throttle application for street driving in the winter - and something rings false about someone that cant tell when wheels are spinning on a front wheel drive - I've heard from that school, thanks and can we move on. - There are others - I'd like to encourage other posts. - or show me why 18's are better.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Haven't looked into TDs, but Braids would be your only other option. The biggest issue with Braids is going to be, at least as of late 2021, shipping. They are coming from Spain. They used to ship by boat as an option, which was I believe $70, and you would just need to wait a bit longer. I'd say actually now would be too late to go that route between manufacture time and delivery time, we would be into winter by the time they got here by boat. They stopped doing that though. Reach out to them to check if they resumed it if interested. They however as of 2020-2021 switched to air freight, which would run $500+ on top of the price of the wheels ($350-400 each).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thats been what I'm seeing too. a couple grand plus a chunk to ship for wheels and I may get them sometime after New Years. For both Team Dynamics and BRAID.

I've recently found a seller on eBay that has CAD/CAM software and can check fit and clearance and that has opened a whole new frontier of choices in the $150-$200 range. with FREE SHIPPING .

it opens choices of the 195/55 or 60's 17's- which few are doing - and saves 500-750 over comparable 18's - which conveniently could be used for the skid/splash plate

As a new owner - I gotta ask, anybody else try this? Has it been limited availability? If other choices were available whats the downside?

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Am I thinking right?

17" 195/50 17R Blizzaks. maybe 195/55

I have to buy both wheels and tires, so might as well do it right.

Taller is good.
Narrower is good

17" tires are noticeably cheaper than comp 18"

the taller sidewall should be "damage resistant" compared to 18" and 19" - and cheaper to fix if needed.

I'm seeing some change the brakes out for 15" wheels. Is that the better option? Not cheap the first time,,
I think 17x7.5 or 17x8 wheels - wide, just not as wide.
17" seems to be a good choice - maybe $600 - $1000 cheaper than a new 18" set up. Where's the downside?
If you’re not dead set against 18” wheels and tires, PM me. I have a set of OEMs that have never been on my car. I’m pretty sure we could work out a deal if you’re willing.

·
Registered
2016 RS
78 Posts
I guess I don't see how spending $500 ea for 17" BRAID saves $500-750 over 18's? 18's that fit are a dime a dozen... and have taller sidewalls than the std 19's. I run 235/40-18 winters in northern MN and they work fabulous. Yes the standard practice is to go narrow and I've done that in the past. I had 255 summer tires and 225 winters on my 238i before the RS. In reality roads are not covered in deep snow that much and roads are mostly dry and cold. the 235-18 do allow my to go WOT and keep traction . Just tossing another perspective and my experience w/ 18's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had no issues with the stock 18' winter wheels and tires other than not enough traction when it is dry. I sounds like you may live in the mountains and if so that wheel/tire combo may suite you well but down here in the city it would be overkill. We only see a real snow half a dozen (or so) times a year so it is mostly having a tire that is rated for the lower temps.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
As a new owner - I gotta ask, anybody else try this? Has it been limited availability? If other choices were available whats the downside?
From what I gathered from other threads, it's simply a fitment issue. Our front calipers are thicc, and any one set of 17s fitting is not a guarantee. There are also probably fewer people looking for 17s in general, in combination with not wanting to play the fitment lottery with ordering and returning multiple sets of wheels. Availability is one thing, hassle is another. It comes down to people trying them out, and seeing if they fit. Even the way the BRAIDs fit is super-tight over the calipers, and they've actually validated fitment. Some manufacturers are responsive and can work with you to validate internal fitment, but it may come down to trial-and-error.

Far as downside, probably the usual: less responsive on-center, mushier feel.

Reactions: mkitt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I gathered from other threads, it's simply a fitment issue. Our front calipers are thicc, and any one set of 17s fitting is not a guarantee. There are also probably fewer people looking for 17s in general, in combination with not wanting to play the fitment lottery with ordering and returning multiple sets of wheels. Availability is one thing, hassle is another. It comes down to people trying them out, and seeing if they fit. Even the way the BRAIDs fit is super-tight over the calipers, and they've actually validated fitment. Some manufacturers are responsive and can work with you to validate internal fitment, but it may come down to trial-and-error.

Far as downside, probably the usual: less responsive on-center, mushier feel.
Hi braap -
mushy feel - it comes with winter.
Response - usually involves collision avoidance of spinning, sliding drivers and pedestrians on their phones.
Primary goal - get where I'm going and back with no dents

I know rally drivers report rocks & scratches between wheel/caliper - that won't be a issue, but bending a wheel hard - could do additional damage. Naaaaaa

The shopping list is 17x7-1/2" wheels with 205/55 R17 Blizzak's
1.5% taller overall, about 1-1/4" narrower. little less than 85% footprint. If they don't work in the snow, - I may have drift shoes for baby.

TD and BRAID are out of my budget and - even IF - probably not going to arrive before spring, so looking for options.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts