Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a bunch of us here are hoping for a later delivery rather than early due to summer tires and temperature issues. Summer tires have warnings not to use under 45 degrees. So those of us where that can be into April do not want a late Febuary\early March delivery. That being said...what really is the risk for driving the car home if the outside temp is below 45? Do the tires get hard? Do they loose traction. Do they act slippery? Never use straight summer tires before so I don't know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So a bunch of us here are hoping for a later delivery rather than early due to summer tires and temperature issues. Summer tires have warnings not to use under 45 degrees. So those of us where that can be into April do not want a late Febuary\early March delivery. That being said...what really is the risk for driving the car home if the outside temp is below 45? Do the tires get hard? Do they loose traction. Do they act slippery? Never use straight summer tires before so I don't know.
As long as the roads arent wet or have snow on them and you arent planning on going around a corner at mach 7 you should be fine. On the other hand if there is snow on the roads flat deck that sucker home. Source... I have a mustang with summer tires and live in canada.

Edit: 1. Tires get hard and do not have very much traction. 2. They have a higher chance of breaking loose on cold asphalt aka if you need to brake or corner hard don't be too confident your stopping distance will probably be 1.5x (on just cold pavement not with snow etc) and you have a greater chance of pushing through a corner.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been using PSS and PSC2s on my GTR for a few years. The 45 degree warning on the PSS is for several reasons, from what I can gather. I've been told that the compound can actually "fracture" (like small micro fractures that can lead to the tread blocks failing) in cold temps. I believe the warranty on the PSS is also dependent on following that temperature recommendation. I haven't driven my car under those colder conditions, so I can't speak to what happens to traction; but I do know that the PSC2s require getting heat into them before they are truly grippy. I consider the Cup tires to be a poor compromise (short tread life and not nearly as good as a true R compound race tire). The regular Pilot Super Sports are basically awesome in the wet or dry and the tread life is amazing too. I've ordered my RS with the winter tire package. Just my opinion, but if you live in a cold climate and you intend to drive the RS year round, get some 18 inch wheels and snow tires.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have nitto invos that I run in the summer months. When it gets below 30, they get super sketchy. Grip feels like it's cut in half or worse. You can drive on them, you just have to be super careful and drive like grandma

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have nitto invos that I run in the summer months. When it gets below 30, they get super sketchy. Grip feels like it's cut in half or worse. You can drive on them, you just have to be super careful and drive like grandma
I'm going to be driving my car year round in the northeast through harsh winters. Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to the summer package?

Could getting winter tires on cheap 18s from a regular Focus (possibly even the ST ) work?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've been on a track with pilot super sports and 15 degrees and thought they did totally fine. Sure, a little less grip than a 70 degree day, but they didn't behave in a way I'd consider dangerous. That was with no snow or ice. There are numerous tests out there that show how poorly even all-seasons tires perform compared to dedicated snow tires. So, if I were in an area that has a lot of days in snow, I'd swap tires in the winter. As Seattle has maybe 1 or 2 days per year with snow on the ground, I'll "stick" with the ultra-high performance summer tires.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I can tell you that the Goodyear Eagles on the Focus ST are absolutely terrible when temps drop into the low forties and the surface is wet. In the snow or on ice they are downright treacherous. Not only do those conditions turn your "performance car" into a turd, I think it's a dangerous thing to do.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I can tell you that the Goodyear Eagles on the Focus ST are absolutely terrible when temps drop into the low forties and the surface is wet. In the snow or on ice they are downright treacherous. Not only do those conditions turn your "performance car" into a turd, I think it's a dangerous thing to do.
Very true. Let me put it this way if it dips in the 20s I cant even engage 1st gear with out slippage and I can spin in 4th when dry merging on the highway. I swapped over to my winters and even in the 40's they grip better then the GYs. I can now at least go 3/4 throttle in 1st and optimal temps for my winter tires (Xice3) is around 0 and they will take all the TQ my ST can give. It got to a point where I really had to pay attention to cutting out in front of people, even 250ft may not be enough because the GY's just don't grip in the cold and honestly they really like it above 60 and love it above 70. The cold is one thing, but like you stated snow or ice don't even bother, a dusting is impossible to even get going if there is any sort of incline. oh and forget about stopping, it took over 500ft to stop from 30mph with an inch of snow when I first had my Balt SS it was delivered late Nov and immediately after that situation I bought some winters lol.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm going to be driving my car year round in the northeast through harsh winters. Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to the summer package?

Could getting winter tires on cheap 18s from a regular Focus (possibly even the ST ) work?
Cheap 18s can be had on tire rack. You can build a set of 18's with some decent (by no means the best) winter tires for ~$1200 bucks. It's all going to depend on caliper clearance, but there are plenty of STI guys running cheap sport edition or sparco wheels.

Personally we don't get a lot of snow here so I'm probably going to get some 18's w/all seasons to run in the winter.

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
I've been wondering this since I purchased my FoRS with forged wheels what the limitations would be for the PSC2s with a early Spring delivery and the 35 mile drive home from the dealership.

Those OEM GY F1s (I still have my originals with <4K miles) are horrible in temps under or around the 40's and in the wet like everyone is saying and they ride hard and respond like a hockey puck on ice.

I originally went with GY Eagle GTs and loved those tires until GY discontinued them.

This brought me over to Michelin and the PSS tire for the FoST and the XIce3 for the FiST that my daughter drives.

Currently I have all of my wheels and tires on break while I ride on ContiProContacts with steelies since the weather here has been rather uncommon/predictable this year.

I'm hoping to use a set of 18in FoST wheels or my 18in Titaniums as a backup set for the FoRS. If neither clear the calipers then I'll be in the market for another set of wheels.

Has anyone checked out the warranty notice from Michelin?

All MICHELIN® tires (except the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport Cup) have a limited mileage warranty, 30 day satisfaction guarantee and Roadside Assistance coverage under the Michelin Promise Plan™.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm considering selling the set of high performance winters I'm getting with the car (I'm in Canada) and buying dedicated winters, studded in fact. I have nokian hakkappiliita 7s on my current subaru and it's an unstoppable beast in the snow.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm considering selling the set of high performance winters I'm getting with the car (I'm in Canada) and buying dedicated winters, studded in fact. I have nokian hakkappiliita 7s on my current subaru and it's an unstoppable beast in the snow.
This is my dilemma, do I go performance snows or regular. I wouldn't go studded. I had LM60's on my BaltSS and never had an issue, I got Xice3's for the ST because it has an open front diff and they are amazing. With AWD though I may go the perf route just not sure yet.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Besides being loud on pavement (which I only really hear when the window is rolled down) I couldn't be happier with them. With temperatures as low as -40 here at times, coupled with tons of snow/ice, and absolutely horrid drivers I feel a dedicated winter set is more important. Though since I'm forced to get the cup 2s I think I'll need an in between since I'll have to drive on my winters until it gets significantly warmer out. Hmm

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've been wondering this since I purchased my FoRS with forged wheels what the limitations would be for the PSC2s with a early Spring delivery and the 35 mile drive home from the dealership.

A little OT, but do you have any concerns about dd'ing the Cups in wet conditions even when the temperatures are warmer? I wonder about that - we get the forged wheels with Cups standard here. If I had the choice I probably would go forged/PSS instead simply to ensure rain grip.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Cheap 18s can be had on tire rack. You can build a set of 18's with some decent (by no means the best) winter tires for ~$1200 bucks. It's all going to depend on caliper clearance, but there are plenty of STI guys running cheap sport edition or sparco wheels.

Personally we don't get a lot of snow here so I'm probably going to get some 18's w/all seasons to run in the winter.
Thanks for the reply! This was more or less what I was hoping to hear. Do we know yet what caliper clearance may be? If not, I have a really good tire shop I've been going to for years on Long Island that should be able to help me out (and I would gladly recommend them to anyone in the NY area).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Besides being loud on pavement (which I only really hear when the window is rolled down) I couldn't be happier with them. With temperatures as low as -40 here at times, coupled with tons of snow/ice, and absolutely horrid drivers I feel a dedicated winter set is more important. Though since I'm forced to get the cup 2s I think I'll need an in between since I'll have to drive on my winters until it gets significantly warmer out. Hmm
I have the same problem here, those months when it stays around 40 but can easily drop down to 15 or be as high as 70 one day to the next makes having a 3rd set a viable option. My summers are horrid below 50 and with the Cup2s you can not run them below 40 or they may crack, let alone store them in temps below freezing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Winter tires are a must for me. I'm looking at just using the 19" wheels for all seasons, and getting a set of Pirelli Sottozero3 for winter use. Anyone else not getting 18s for winter?

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
A little OT, but do you have any concerns about dd'ing the Cups in wet conditions even when the temperatures are warmer? I wonder about that - we get the forged wheels with Cups standard here. If I had the choice I probably would go forged/PSS instead simply to ensure rain grip.
I believe in warmer wet weather my concern would be standing water on the roads. When I ran All Season tires never had an issue with displacing water but the F1s taught me to learn where these standing water areas were and avoid them. I figure it'll be the same with the PSC2s and being a track tire, then again maybe the AWD will help out and make them more tolerant. Guess I'll have to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I just hope the (Canadian) included winter tire package arrives when the car does. Otherwise we might be in trouble trying to drive around in March on Cup 2 tires, lol. But only time will tell, who knows when the car will even arrive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts