Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this part two of a long staying problem Ive had with my RS. Im going to break it down as simply as I can and hope someone can help since ford seems clueless.

Problem: CEL with code P0327: Knock Sensor 1 Low Voltage, Bank 1

Symptoms: Car struggles to accelerate hard when I put my foot down in the appropriate gear. Exhaust gets very loud while accelerating (much louder and obnoxious than when the car is not having this problem.) Cas used to have trouble going over 15psi on boost but this doesn't seem to be happening any more. Car seems to be in a "limp mode."

Events leading up to problem: The CEL and symtpoms only seem to occur under certain circumstances. When I commute to work I usually cruise between 70-80 mph (its texas so its all good ^_^) and when I cruise at that speed for around 10 minutes is when the CEL comes on. Sometimes it also happened under hard driving for a short time but not very often. Generally only after cruising at the speed posted above.

Steps already taken: Ive taken this to the dealership 4 times already. The first two times they replaces the knock sensors thinking maybe they were faulty. 2 miles later the CEL and symptoms returned. I went back to the dealership and they just pulled the code and it came back on no more than 200 yards from leaving the dealership. Last time i took it they kept the car for nearly a month trying to figure out what was wrong. The last work they did was replacing the PCM. This appeared to have finally solved the problem until recently starting again. There was about a 1 year gap between replacing the PCM and the symptoms returning.

Steps I myself have taken: Ive replaced the knock sensors again myself thinking maybe these were just a bad batch of sensors but again the CEL came back on. I also tightened everything to make sure there was no rattling or anything coming loose (this shouldn't have been the problem since the CEL was for a low voltage sensor and not actual knock detected). I did also notice that who ever last worked on my car didn't remount the sensor power connectors back to the intake manifold correctly and they were simply zipped or hanging out freely. Didn't see any damage to any of the wiring.

About the Car: 2016 RS1, Mountune RMM, intake, and accessport with tune by Randy. Borla SS catback. Headgasket recall done.

Other pertinent info: This was never a problem prior to the HG recall. This problem only appeared after this recall was completed. Ive had the tune since I was still under 1,000 miles and it ran fine till around 15,000. I don not believe the tune is related in anyway. A good friend of mine who is a mechanic at a local shop thinks the next thing might be the wiring harness. So I will take it back to ford since this should still be covered under powertrain warranty.

Wanted to share this to see if anyone had any input, advice or maybe if you're having similar issues. What are your guys and gals thoughts?

I absolutely love this car but its getting to the point where too many times recently where I cannot truly enjoy the car to its full capability because the CEL puts the car in limp mode. As much money we spent on these things, this is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I second the wiring harness hypothesis. Did the dealership call out to Ford corporate for an assist? I wonder if a ground or connector got dirty, causing the intermittent issue.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yes I'd try the harness. The connectors on the harness side would be the first place to check. You could also try a shake test while the engine is idling at operating temp,in other words locate the wiring and harness that's accessible with the engine idling and move it around and shake it as much as is sensible and see if it throws a code. They may have stressed a section of the loom while doing the HG recall and broken a wire internally or at the connector. You could also try pulling the sensor connector apart and replacing it anyway. Also look for low tension on the connector contacts and contact pins pushed back and making poor connection.

Ciao

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, thanks for the input fellers. Ill update the thread once some progress is made.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So update, The dealership called and said that they have to replace the PCM and knock sensors again. And that it is not covered under warranty. So Im going to go to another dealership for a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
So update, The dealership called and said that they have to replace the PCM and knock sensors again. And that it is not covered under warranty. So Im going to go to another dealership for a second opinion.
Sound like the dealership wants you to go elsewhere. looks like they've run out of talent.

Ciao

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing is, is that both components have already been changes. They wanted to do it again. What they said was "change the knock sensors and updated the PCM" which apparently isn't covered under powertrain warranty. They also said that it was my tune causing the problem because of some bulshit explanation they gave about the ECU not being able to read the sensors correctly because of the tune and causing it to throw a code. Which I call bull crap on because it worked fine for the first 15,000 miles till I had the head gasket recall done. They also told me I needed new tires and an alignment cause my tires were running thin even though i just replaced them 5k miles ago and rotated them a few ago myself and inspected them. Of course all of this outside of warranty. So Im collecting my car back tomorrow and taking it to another place.

Question: Is it at all possible that my tune (Accessport with a tune by Randy) can cause the knock sensor to show low voltage? I just don't want to look like an idiot calling bulshit on them when it really is a possibility.

Thanks for the help all.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump for this question, posted above: Is it at all possible that my tune (Accessport with a tune by Randy) can cause the knock sensor to show low voltage? I just don't want to look like an idiot calling bulshit on them when it really is a possibility.

Im about to go directly to the VP of the dealership who has been working on my car and want to make sure the AP and tune are clear from culprits of my problem.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Call Ford Service

(800) 392-3673

Maybe they can hook you up with a good dealership in the area or send out a field rep to look at the car

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The thing is, is that both components have already been changes. They wanted to do it again. What they said was "change the knock sensors and updated the PCM" which apparently isn't covered under powertrain warranty. They also said that it was my tune causing the problem because of some bulshit explanation they gave about the ECU not being able to read the sensors correctly because of the tune and causing it to throw a code. Which I call bull crap on because it worked fine for the first 15,000 miles till I had the head gasket recall done. They also told me I needed new tires and an alignment cause my tires were running thin even though i just replaced them 5k miles ago and rotated them a few ago myself and inspected them. Of course all of this outside of warranty. So Im collecting my car back tomorrow and taking it to another place.

Question: Is it at all possible that my tune (Accessport with a tune by Randy) can cause the knock sensor to show low voltage? I just don't want to look like an idiot calling bulshit on them when it really is a possibility.

Thanks for the help all.
I seriously doubt it. The tune is a piece of software not part of the control circuit for the sensors.
Good move going to another dealer. You need a mechanic thats interested in these sort of issues and will spend some time nutting things out, not a parts changer that misses what is sometimes very obvious. I've seen components changed multiple times by mechanics simply because they often dont look at the history and just want it gone and at the end of an expensive and time consuming process it turns out to be a faulty plug or a loose connector pin.

Ciao

1 - 10 of 10 Posts