Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
I’m currently running a customised DreamScience Ultima 3+ tune utilising their simple to use Stratagem iMap handset.

Been running DreamScience Ultima tunes for about 4 years now without any snags - we check diagnostics regularly.

I’ve progressed through their Ultima tune range as I’ve modded my RS in stages, which has pretty much full bolt on’s now.

They are a legendary UK tuner for reliability when it comes to historic RS models and Mike and gang are great to work with.

They don’t push the stock 2.3L bottom end past 425 bhp - their research says that’s max for reliability. Power delivery is early and consistent throughout the rev range with the 3+ tune and they’ve resolved Ford’s rough idle issues. When purchased, you get approximately 5 tunes, some flatter (kinder) and some more peaky (laggy) than the 3+, which comes at an extra cost.

Drawbacks are the handset is much less pretty than the current Cobb model, maps aren’t on-the-fly switchable, and its all locked in with DreamScience.

My advice is if you’re a tune fidgeter or maybe like to display your handset for the world to see, maybe go the Cobb for its multiplayer attributes.

I’ve locked myself in gladly as I bought the car knowing I would only be tuning with DreamScience due to reliability factors, performance bang for buck and they know Australian fuels.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Well said, I don’t Think any of those are drawbacks.
It’s similar to Livernois which I use. Once the tune is don’t you shouldn’t need to mess with it. Beside I have no need to have tunes from multi tuners

· Registered
151 Posts
Well said, I don’t Think any of those are drawbacks.
It’s similar to Livernois which I use. Once the tune is don’t you shouldn’t need to mess with it. Beside I have no need to have tunes from multi tuners
Yep I don’t experience drawbacks either and here in Australia waving around an access port handset is a police magnet. The police here are very conscious of hoonigans (such as me hehe). I should also add that I’ve never been much of a hp/tq number chaser - drivability and performance reliability being key. DreamScience get that the RS Mk3 will become, or maybe is already, a classic and acknowledging that as fact along with the limitations of the platform is a good place to start tuning. The really great thing about DreamScience is they develop tunes to work specifically with all the available drive modes, although I’m not a fan of some of their tunes they have packaged but others like the 3+ I adore. Also for perspective, the 425bhp figure is in-line with the latest AMG A45, RS3 and M2. That’s good company IMHO.

Thankyou for the reply the info was valuable for looks isn’t an issue I’m more about reliability for I’m starting from stock
No probs. My advice is ask yourself what success looks like, test drive a few cars if you can and discuss your endgame with the tuner and only then purchase your tune. For reference, DreamScience recommend upgrading the intercooler, turbo recirculating valve, turbo back exhaust (including downpipe) and intake for best results with the tunes they have available for Australian 98 RON pump fuel (425 bhp).

· Super Moderator
8,489 Posts
I've read great things about DS in the UK.

They are not as big here (if at all in the States).

I would say what your tuner's preference would be.

I wish you luck and happy tuning!

· Registered
3,008 Posts
Yep I don’t experience drawbacks either and here in Australia waving around an access port handset is a police magnet. The police here are very conscious of hoonigans
Thats not entirely true.
I think it really depends on what area/state, you live in, for example, where I am, the police are pretty laid back unless you drive around being a d1ck and attracting attention they leave you alone, I haven't had any dramas with my accessport and it's in the A pillar in clear view.

· Registered
151 Posts
Thats not entirely true.
I think it really depends on what area/state, you live in, for example, where I am, the police are pretty laid back unless you drive around being a d1ck and attracting attention they leave you alone, I haven't had any dramas with my accessport and it's in the A pillar in clear view.
Fair enough mate I'm in WA. Guess its all about the whether you're up for poking the bear or not, and advertising your go fast driveline mods round here is generally considered as running the gauntlet. So let's maybe agree the car's capability is well known and ya can get a bit of notice, and maybe I just prefer the sleeper approach. Although, by fitting an aftermarket intake, exhaust, coilover suspension, big wheels and dark tint, I may not be considered sleeper at all LOL

· Registered
310 Posts
Fair enough mate I'm in WA. Guess its all about the whether you're up for poking the bear or not, and advertising your go fast driveline mods round here is generally considered as running the gauntlet. So let's maybe agree the car's capability is well known and ya can get a bit of notice, and maybe I just prefer the sleeper approach. Although, by fitting an aftermarket intake, exhaust, coilover suspension, big wheels and dark tint, I may not be considered sleeper at all LOL
Yeah I think wa is far more awful when it comes to cops. NSW is getting there - they just removed the requirement for signage in front of mobile speed cameras.

· Registered
310 Posts
Was wondering if any body had an opinion on the difference between Cobb and dreamsciece tuning?reliability ease of use etc
I've got both. DS installed, Cobb AP on the shelf waiting for when I'm ready for a custom tune. I haven't tried the Ultima 3+ due to only having a filter and muffler bypass. You still can, but it won't be as effective AFAIK

· Premium Member
526 Posts
I had one for while and good maps.
Handset lack of features puts some off, I went to cobb AP when had tuneplus dial in my NX2.
Just waiting to go WMI now

· Registered
151 Posts
Yeah I think wa is far more awful when it comes to cops. NSW is getting there - they just removed the requirement for signage in front of mobile speed cameras.
Wow thats hardcore and clearly just revenue raising bullsh*t...real sad thing is WA will probably follow suit. Least we don’t have yearly inspections...yet. Our cops have actually been getting a little more lenient as later model OEM performance cars have gotten ridiculously faster. I know a few and I feel they understand that chasing/checking the software side of things is pointless, and the prevalence of EV’s and their future driven tuning options will just exacerbate the point.

I've got both. DS installed, Cobb AP on the shelf waiting for when I'm ready for a custom tune. I haven't tried the Ultima 3+ due to only having a filter and muffler bypass. You still can, but it won't be as effective AFAIK
There’s a number of peeps with near stock setups that have chosen to run the Ultima 3+ and rely on the well-known safety features DS build into their tunes. I was told not to unless properly configured as, depending on conditions, those protections are likely to trigger more often than not and results in flat spots early in the rev range. Basically a peaky driving experience - it was fun for me for a couple of days I admit because the car behaved like a feral rally animal. But It’s the sudden torque spikes that worry DS, something they report the RS inherently tends to do and believe is likely contributing to stories of random types of catastrophic bottom-end based engine failures. The 2+ map is geared for closer to the OEM setups - I liked it a lot with about 390 to 400bhp on 98 RON. But the 3+ is epic, they’ve mastered the overrun my goodness (0.65 seconds to be exact), and along with the mods they have listed to support it, it responds even better to having step-colder spark plugs installed.

· Registered
310 Posts
Wow thats hardcore and clearly just revenue raising bullsh*t...real sad thing is WA will probably follow suit. Least we don’t have yearly inspections...yet. Our cops have actually been getting a little more lenient as later model OEM performance cars have gotten ridiculously faster. I know a few and I feel they understand that chasing/checking the software side of things is pointless, and the prevalence of EV’s and their future driven tuning options will just exacerbate the point.

There’s a number of peeps with near stock setups that have chosen to run the Ultima 3+ and rely on the well-known safety features DS build into their tunes. I was told not to unless properly configured as, depending on conditions, those protections are likely to trigger more often than not and results in flat spots early in the rev range. Basically a peaky driving experience - it was fun for me for a couple of days I admit because the car behaved like a feral rally animal. But It’s the sudden torque spikes that worry DS, something they report the RS inherently tends to do and believe is likely contributing to stories of random types of catastrophic bottom-end based engine failures. The 2+ map is geared for closer to the OEM setups - I liked it a lot with about 390 to 400bhp on 98 RON. But the 3+ is epic, they’ve mastered the overrun my goodness (0.65 seconds to be exact), and along with the mods they have listed to support it, it responds even better to having step-colder spark plugs installed.
Looks like I have a few mods to make, and see how I go - if the 3+ is good enough I'll sell the cobb

· Premium Member
526 Posts
Looks like I have a few mods to make, and see how I go - if the 3+ is good enough I'll sell the cobb
It’s ok if you’re sticking with their mod list\level. No good if you want configurations over and above theirs, thats why I sold mine.
In fact, in the uk the number of people selling DS handsets is much higher than other platforms.
What can’t speak can’t lie

· Registered
151 Posts
It’s ok if you’re sticking with their mod list\level. No good if you want configurations over and above theirs, thats why I sold mine.
In fact, in the uk the number of people selling DS handsets is much higher than other platforms.
What can’t speak can’t lie
This is sound advice, although DS is a larger scale tuner so you’ll notice handset turnover and they allow handset transfers for up to 3 different cars I believe. Been like that for many years and is not not indicative of poor quality at all, just the tune shopping tendencies of customers and they’re cool with it. I own both handsets by the way, but prefer DS’s approach to tuning the RS as well as the results.

· Premium Member
526 Posts
This is sound advice, although DS is a larger scale tuner so you’ll notice handset turnover and they allow handset transfers for up to 3 different cars I believe. Been like that for many years and is not not indicative of poor quality at all, just the tune shopping tendencies of customers and they’re cool with it. I own both handsets by the way, but prefer DS’s approach to tuning the RS as well as the results.
Comes with 5 lives and fits quite a few different models of vehicle. Like I said decent maps but here in Blighty seeing lot of people move to other platforms on cobb AP.
If you’re tuning outside their spec then you have to switch

· Registered
151 Posts
Comes with 5 lives and fits quite a few different models of vehicle. Like I said decent maps but here in Blighty seeing lot of oriole move to other platforms on cobb AP.
If you’re tuning outside their spec then you have to switch
Cool good info - reckon it all comes down to what it is you want to achieve and who you’re gonna trust to help get you there.

· Premium Member
526 Posts
Cool good info - reckon it all comes down to what it is you want to achieve and who you’re gonna trust to help get you there.
Absolutely.
before selling my DS handset, I asked DS if they could map and dial in my big turbo and fuelling and they couldn’t so went with Adam at tuneplus

1 - 20 of 21 Posts