Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Very new to the car scene. Last summer I picked up a 2018 focus rs with only 1800 miles. I drove it completely stock since the time of purchase (I am a college student and don't really have too much time). However, since the recent pandemic has given me some time... I was looking to see what stuff I would want to do with the rs. I was looking at was the cobb Stage 2 package, but I was wondering what might the benefit be if I purchased the package over say smaller individual kits like an ets intake or an ets intercooler kit. I also want to get an ets catless downpipe. I guess what I am asking for is some guidance.... Sorry for being kinda stupid about this. I just kinda figured if I am going to learn stuff I need to start asking questions. All roasting and insults are welcomed. Just help me out lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No roasting or insults necessary. We all started somewhere, some of us long before the internet too?.
Anyway puting together parts individually is fine. Especially for budget minded folks. I believe most would suggest for performance mods the 1st thing would be a Cobb AP3 with a custom tune. The AP3 comes with tunes, however a custom tune would be much more beneficial. If u purchase the AP3 from a reconized tuner most include their custom tune with the purchase. Also if you are looking at ETS intakes check out depot racing, its a vendor on this site. Same exact intake minus the ETS on the silicone couplers. Anyway hope that helps some & just look around on the forums & GOOGLE is your friend. Good luck!?

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you are going Stage 2 via a COBB handset device. The minimum you need to fit to your car is an air filter such as a K&N and an intercooler such as a Mishimoto.
More power means the need for more air, more air means more power more power means hotter air which needs to be cooled via the intercooler.
Adam Tune+, Stratified and others offer an option of unlimited custom tunes if you use their Cobbs and maps. Which is handy as you add more stuff it can be mapped in?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You'll pay more for everything if you piece it together separately. One tuner found that they could get 18hp from either a DP mod or catback, and a few extra ponies with both mods on a stock turbo. You could likely get away with running an air filter + intercooler + e-tuning and get pretty darn close to the power output of some of the kits with lots of bits.

Do keep in mind that tuning could cause issues with engine warranty work if you end up taking it in for repairs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also bought a low mileage 2018 and it came with a Mountune B3 kit minus the AP. The B3 comes with an aluminum bypass valve for more and consistent boost. I'm ok with that bc I got all performance with the warranty plus CPO and the kit documented. I also have a 2010 MazdaSpeed3 from new with a lot of basic mods on it including a V3 AP and a Protune by Nishan. Highly recommended guy! Always have your car Protuned. The difference is big and much safer due to the Tuner seeing exactly how your engine operates under high load conditions. Like my MS3, remember that the clutch is at the mercy of what the engine puts out. Stupid high low rpm torque curves will destroy it. Have him go conservative in the 3-3.5k peak range then dial in wastegate duty cycle up higher for max HP. My original MS3 clutch was replaced even with a conservative AP tune. And I never had clutches replaced in any of my NA cars ever. Also, with more pwr comes the need for better braking and suspension so watch all of the components that get taxed by much more HP/TQ. I've had issues with that to on the track with my MS3 lol.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I meant to preface all of that with, "if you're ok with voiding your warranty, then go ahead with a bigger mod package." Ford might not want to see a new intercooler and piping....There are some smaller things you can do that won't. Also depends on how cool your dealerships are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts