Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Get whichever one you think looks better. That's the only gain you'll get from an intake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also have Cobb Tune. I feel it helps some with a bit of added boost what I don’t get is why mountune has two piece setup, you would think the sections would slow air.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Intakes won't matter, don't over analyze the plethora of intakes available, I mean if you want fast air, try one of the cowl intakes popular with the ST crowds.

Cobb OTS tune will matter, get off the OTS tune

Sure it feels better, its adding timing, but at what cost, how's the fuel your running?
Have you done any logs with it? Are you watching for corrections?

RS tune strategy is torque based, so boost will vary to hit torque targets.
Your tune isn't adding boost.
if anything with the cooler weather you'll prolly need less boost to hit target.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Get whichever one you think looks better. That's the only gain you'll get from an intake.
^This. As far as I know, no marked performance improvements in either, just aesthetics and sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have logged some. I haven’t noticed any corrections, I’m running it on 93. No knock, are you sure about boost cause it’s showing some more boost, maybe just the weather right now. Been cold here. I’ve kept the ots tune cause I felt it was safe and a lot of guys running it. Don’t really have the needs for a serious tune. All other is stock. Have you seen the these maps cause issues? I had 02 wrx bucks of work done and the intake really did matter with those motors/turbos. I’m assuming no turbo upgrade etc. the focus really doesn’t benefit from it

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only intake that is made for the RS that has a gain is the ETS. Look it up bro! It has full 3” tubes and the filter has a larger opening at the connection than cobb. I think it is cool that you can use your RS factory airbox with it too. If you do upgrade your turbo someday you will be glad you got this one. The hole in the cobb filter is 1/4” smaller and will not fit over the ETS tube.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My vote is for mishimoto

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The only intake that is made for the RS that has a gain is the ETS. Look it up bro! It has full 3” tubes and the filter has a larger opening at the connection than cobb. I think it is cool that you can use your RS factory airbox with it too. If you do upgrade your turbo someday you will be glad you got this one. The hole in the cobb filter is 1/4” smaller and will not fit over the ETS tube.
Mishimoto is 3" too

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
ETS and Mishi would be the biggest ones you can fit there and does see HP gain.

I went with Roush as I got it for a steal of a price... and Roush is synonymous with Ford.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I have logged some. I haven’t noticed any corrections, I’m running it on 93. No knock, are you sure about boost cause it’s showing some more boost, maybe just the weather right now. Been cold here. I’ve kept the ots tune cause I felt it was safe and a lot of guys running it. Don’t really have the needs for a serious tune. All other is stock. Have you seen the these maps cause issues? I had 02 wrx bucks of work done and the intake really did matter with those motors/turbos. I’m assuming no turbo upgrade etc. the focus really doesn’t benefit from it
You should see 'some' corrections, under daily driving, the tune itself should not yield and on a WOT pull.
Watch your OTR, most gas isn't what it really claims and if your pushing hard with a high fuel map and your on ****ty gas, no bueno. Custom tunes would/might dial it back a bit for the gas your using, or blend to achieve solid consistent fuel.
Not sure if your comparing to stock, the cobb 93 map may add higher torque targets and it's using more boost to achieve, but understand the boost is not fixed and will vary.
There have been reports of Cobb and other OTS tunes that never get looked at and run blindly hard causing issue, but who really knows?

Unlike your '02 wrx (I still have my original post it yellow launch edition) that used MAF intake flow, the RS uses MAP intake pressure, as such less impactful.

Seriously, I would say, save that Couple hundred bucks on on the intake, stay stock and spend that on an eTune from any reputable tuner. You'll make more HP safer....best advice I could give.

Reactions: l0stperfecti0n

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You should see 'some' corrections, under daily driving, the tune itself should not yield and on a WOT pull.
Watch your OTR, most gas isn't what it really claims and if your pushing hard with a high fuel map and your on ****ty gas, no bueno. Custom tunes would/might dial it back a bit for the gas your using, or blend to achieve solid consistent fuel.
Not sure if your comparing to stock, the cobb 93 map may add higher torque targets and it's using more boost to achieve, but understand the boost is not fixed and will vary.
There have been reports of Cobb and other OTS tunes that never get looked at and run blindly hard causing issue, but who really knows?

Unlike your '02 wrx (I still have my original post it yellow launch edition) that used MAF intake flow, the RS uses MAP intake pressure, as such less impactful.

Seriously, I would say, save that Couple hundred bucks on on the intake, stay stock and spend that on an eTune from any reputable tuner. You'll make more HP safer....best advice I could give.
Agreed, stock intake is plenty. Really only need to go aftermarket when going high horsepower, big turbo, etc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts