Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Got dooown and dirty today trying to install my new COBB turbo blanket for the OEM turbine!

After a couple of hours over/underneath the car, I had taken off all the necessary components...

But as a rookie, this was definitely the largest project I have undertaken in automotive mechanics. I just cannot figure out how to get the turbo blanket wrapped around there; not today anyway.

I found a few extra photos to help me see how it’s supposed to wrap around; but I’m not sure how to get it at this point. Any tips, photos or video links would be awesome!! I’ve got a liiiiiitle extra time at home with this quarantine, so I’ll give it another go soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Once the exhaust manifold heat shield is removed, use the down pipe as a reference point.
Thanks Bruv!!

Now that I can see some different angles other than what COBB provides(not great photos) I think I can give it another go later. Their instructions don’t even include correct or complete tool requirements. Cheers!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks Bruv!!

Now that I can see some different angles other than what COBB provides(not great photos) I think I can give it another go later. Their instructions don’t even include correct or complete tool requirements. Cheers!
I recommend wrapping the downpipe too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What would you wrap the down pipe with?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That will be okay on my OEM setup?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
May I ask, why are you doing this on a factory turbo?
Good question. Lots of work for little reward. Bit like replacing the std recirc valve just because its "plastic" with some "billet" unit.
Plenty of potential for waste gate operating rod fouling from the images and yes I'm very experienced at installing these type of heat blankets and shielding.
Notice the image isn't "insitu"

Ciao

·
Registered
486 Posts
That's where I was at, lot of mucking around for what gains?
Just another gimmick like RMM , short shifter, etc etc.....

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's where I was at, lot of mucking around for what gains?
Just another gimmick like RMM , short shifter, etc etc.....
RMM isn't a gimmick...plenty of people have had a great experience with it reducing unwanted wheel-hop during early acceleration. Does it add power. NO....Does it make that power more useable...YES. This forum is getting a bit limey...might want to head back across the pond fella.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
RMM isn't a gimmick...plenty of people have had a great experience with it reducing unwanted wheel-hop during early acceleration. Does it add power. NO....Does it make that power more useable...YES. This forum is getting a bit limey...might want to head back across the pond fella.
I think you've got the wrong handle on the nationality. The term Limey refers to the English not Australians and as a general comment a lot of people are also to embarrassed to give negative feedback on aftermarket components they've dropped their hard earned on that turns out to be less than impressive.
In this case I appreciate the OP's feedback on the difficulty of the install although looking at the stand alone image it was totally predictable. It looks like a proper bastard to fit insitu.
Nice looking quality component but doesn't make the effort to benefit criteria for mine.

Ciao

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good point I guess I should have paid more attention to that ...would "pommy" be appropriate then? I am just joking around either way...I love all the experience from all the folks world wide here, just trying to give ya a little rub!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m not looking to make a track monster or anything like that. My purpose with this mod is to simply protect my engine in a long term sense by helping the turbo be more efficient and preventing damage to nearby components.

I knew this would be a ***** of a job for a first timer but I’m locked down and want to challenge myself and learn to work on my car.

Either way it’s all in fun :cheers:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I’m not looking to make a track monster or anything like that. My purpose with this mod is to simply protect my engine in a long term sense by helping the turbo be more efficient and preventing damage to nearby components.

I knew this would be a * of a job for a first timer but I’m locked down and want to challenge myself and learn to work on my car.

Either way it’s all in fun :cheers:
You have the right attitud. Every time you do something to your car, you know her a little better. My jobs always take 3 times longer, because I get looking around at other parts. I’m also a compulsive cleaner.
You’re right to not give up, but chill, then hit it again. If you fail, come at it from a different angle, try a different tool.
You can’t always see what you’re doing. Close your eyes and concentrate on what your hands are feeling and develop a mental picture.
You’re also learning, these aftermarket parts, more often than not, need some massaging to fit.
Not trying to be your sensei. It’s nice to see someone expand there skills and experience.
Which by the way, is something EVERYBODY does, every time they pick up a hammer.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
You have the right attitud. Every time you do something to your car, you know her a little better. My jobs always take 3 times longer, because I get looking around at other parts. I’m also a compulsive cleaner.
You’re right to not give up, but chill, then hit it again. If you fail, come at it from a different angle, try a different tool.
You can’t always see what you’re doing. Close your eyes and concentrate on what your hands are feeling and develop a mental picture.
You’re also learning, these aftermarket parts, more often than not, need some massaging to fit.
Not trying to be your sensei. It’s nice to see someone expand there skills and experience.
Which by the way, is something EVERYBODY does, every time they pick up a hammer.
More often than not, I'm breaking something in the process of fixing/installing something new. It's a vicious cycle... lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The OEM downpipe with cat would be difficult to wrap. If I did it again, I ceramic coat the downpipe first before wrapping. All for heat management/abatement.
Ahh I see. Miiight be a tad big of a bite for me; but I’ll look into it! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts