Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found nothing specific to my question. Is anyone running the Cobb acessport V3 stg 1 OTS map with a Mishimoto cold air intake? I've purchased both of these items, with the intake installed, and the Cobb AP on the way.

After searching and some research, I'm not sure I want to install the AP now. The Cobb stg 1 OTS, from my understanding; is for light mods such as a drop-in filter or exhaust.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You can run any map with your intake no problem. The RS is not MAF based, so put whatever tune you want on there.

Reactions: SurfCfl and qnet

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ran the Cobb stage 1 tune with a high flow intake filter. What is your question?
I watched a video from Cobb's website. The young lady stated that adding an aftermarket intake that hasn't been tuned for that specific intake could cause issues. I assumed since Mishimoto's intake doesn't need a tune, it would be ok to run the Cobb stg 1 with it, but I just wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can run any map with your intake no problem. The RS is not MAF based, so put whatever tune you want on there.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I was still uploading the video when you responded. I was just making sure. With my Evo X if you added a intake, you had to get a tune because it would throw codes. I didn't think there would be a issue but thought I'd check. I hadn't seen any threads on here pertaining to that specific combo.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know that. I was still uploading the video when you responded. I was just making sure. With my Evo X if you added a intake, you had to get a tune because it would throw codes. I didn't think there would be a issue but thought I'd check. I hadn't seen any threads on here pertaining to that specific combo.
Yeah, MAF based tuning means you need to do a MAF cal of the intake before you can tune. The RS is MAP based, so no need to worry as the ECU meters airflow at the manifold not intake.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks again for the input. I realize that Cobb would rather you use their drop in filter versus an aftermarket intake from another company. I originally was just going to leave the stock intake system on, but I really liked the look and design of the Mishimoto intake.

When I had my Evo 10, I added an ETS upper intercooler pipe (charge pipe) and AME intake. I drove it for a few weeks before I got a tune, and did get a CEL. After the pro-tune it was putting down 328 WHP and somewhere around 340 FT-lbs of torque. I got it tuned at Top Speed Motorsports in Atlanta. They have an AWD dyno, and do everything from WRX's to GTR's. (mostly GTR's).

My concern with Cobb is from my experience reading on Evo X forum. People were always flashing it and screwing their cars up.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Thanks again for the input. I realize that Cobb would rather you use their drop in filter versus an aftermarket intake from another company. I originally was just going to leave the stock intake system on, but I really liked the look and design of the Mishimoto intake.
It's not so much that they are trying to sell you on their intake as it is that they work with a large number of vehicles. When you get to support and ask them if changing the intake is going to be negative to the OTS tune they are going to provide the most generically accurate answer to the majority of cars - which is that yes it can affect some cars, so don't recommend it to the customer. Unfortunately I doubt that they have something that tells their customer service rep that says 'they are running an RS which is MAP based so yeah an intake should be fine for the OTS tune'. Remember that the OTS tunes are meant to be one-size-fits-all so they are going to always go by the basic set of mods that their tuner allows for each tune he/she builds as the final ruling on what they officially recommend.

Cobb's not really (from what I have seen over the years) the kind of company that will shill their own mods over other mods because they claim them to be better

Reactions: qnet

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed my Cobb AP today, and am happy with it. It seems like I can hear the Mishimoto intake even more but that could be placebo. The car definitely has some more pull to it, and puts me back in the seat more. I also like how you can have different gauges running on the display.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I installed my Cobb AP today, and am happy with it. It seems like I can hear the Mishimoto intake even more but that could be placebo. The car definitely has some more pull to it, and puts me back in the seat more. I also like how you can have different gauges running on the display.
Cobb OTS tunes really put up results on the butt dyno. Glad your happy with your setup. Can you hear your intake more than the stock intake?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cobb OTS tunes really put up results on the butt dyno. Glad your happy with your setup. Can you hear your intake more than the stock intake?
Yeah, I could actually hear it more than the stock intake before the tune. I didn't remove the hood-liner (didn't want to). Now, as long as my music is turned down, I can hear it all the time, even at lower rpm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i pulled the liner in mine today actually and it makes a world of difference. I would highly recommend it especially because you can put it back no problem if you want to. Mine is probably never going back on

·
Registered
175 Posts
My liner is still off, that Mishimoto SUCKS so LOUD haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts