Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably to early to be asking this question but, will there be any way to use the same Accessport that we bought for the ST on the RS?
I kinda feel like we will be able to with it being on the Focus platform.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I know this is probably to early to be asking this question but, will there be any way to use the same Accessport that we bought for the ST on the RS?

Not a chance. They can make more money by making them non compatable!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If its anything like the Subaru community, the AP can be attached to one car at any one time. Once you Uninstall it from one vehicle you can marry it to another compatible car. Unless something technical differentiates the ST from the RS (like the can-bus transition in some manufactures several years ago) I would expect it to work.

The same access port I used on my Legacy GT was used on a WRX and STi before me and a Forester XT after I sold it. Super convenient.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its anything like the Subaru community, the AP can be attached to one car at any one time. Once you Uninstall it from one vehicle you can marry it to another compatible car. Unless something technical differentiates the ST from the RS (like the can-bus transition in some manufactures several years ago) I would expect it to work.

The same access port I used on my Legacy GT was used on a WRX and STi before me and a Forester XT after I sold it. Super convenient.
This is exactly what I was thinking as well.

I feel like I read somewhere that you can use this same Accessport on the Fiesta ST and the Ecoboost Fusion as well. I may be wrong though.
If that is the case I'm sure we will be able to use the same one on the RS, just download the maps and go.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you call Cobb, post back here and let us know

This is exactly what I was thinking as well.

I feel like I read somewhere that you can use this same Accessport on the Fiesta ST and the Ecoboost Fusion as well. I may be wrong though.
If that is the case I'm sure we will be able to use the same one on the RS, just download the maps and go.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm sure cobb will have the access port available soon after the release of the RS. I've had the access port for my STi's as well as the access tuner. It is good stuff, but I plan on going with what mountune offers that ford warranties. I'm sure they both cost about the same. Cobbs AP offers more maps and data logs and can clear codes and what not, but ide rather have my tune warrantied by ford. I do have the feeling that cobbs tune will make more torque and hp than mountune's tunes. image.jpg

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
It is good stuff, but I plan on going with what mountune offers that ford warranties... - but ide rather have my tune warrantied by ford. View attachment 1241
I'm with you in this one - wouldn't do anything to screw up the warranty on one of these, especially as an entire new drivetrain. Does mountune have some official relationship with Ford?

Jim

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm with you in this one - wouldn't do anything to screw up the warranty on one of these, especially as an entire new drivetrain. Does mountune have some official relationship with Ford?

Jim

Yes they do. Much like prodrive is to subaru. This is progressive thinking by ford. This is also where subaru has failed. Garbage tunes from the factory that get recalled to remove another 20 horsepower from your car. Terrible throttle responce, hesitation, the "GR" stumble, ect. With just the cobb ots map the STi came alive and fun. Custome tune stage 1 was even more fun. This is like a custom safe tune your comfortabe with and ford warranties in your RS. Ide be fine with that as the rest of the car hit the nail on the head. I really don't see much to change at all aside from 18" RPF1's or 17" rims if they fit. Im sure you will see some of these stage 2 RS's hitting 365-375 whp and 400-425 lbft of torque to the ground. image.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts

Jim
For one, this isn't an "entirely new" drivetrain. Some parts are new, but most of it has been in production for a few years now.

Also, concerning tunes, if these tuners were tuning cars where they blew up all the time, they wouldn't be in business. Both Cobb and Mountune are reputable.

I've never really understood the concerned about voiding the warranty. For one, Ford has to show that what you did caused the problem. Two, you're buying a 40k car, if you are honestly that concerned at a few thousand in repairs, this car probably is not for you. I'm not trying to come off as an ass, but honestly, the tires will probably run you 1k+ and only last 20k if you're lucky, less if you get the upgraded ones, probably 5k. Even if you blew the motor in 50k, you would have spent enough in tires alone to fix it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Couple things about Mountune - their warranty with Ford is very carefully written - this is only part of it:

"Ford Performance Racing and mountune® Power Packs, Handling Packs and select components for Mustangs, Fiesta, Focus, and F-150

Ford Performance Racing and mountune Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship when correctly and completely installed on a late model Ford vehicle by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). This Performance Packs and Components Limited Warranty begins upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Performance and remains in effect for the balance of 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Click Here for Performance Pack Limited Warranty details."

And none of the Mountune ST PowerPack stuff was legal in CA.

And it's expensive.

Not saying this isn't worth it for someone outside CA, and I agree that they wouldn't stay in business long if they were pedaling grenade-makers for your motor.

Doesn't that 36-month clause make it appear it would be best to have your dealer install it the vary day you bought it?

Not hating, just up for discussion and learning.

Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
So if you added the mountune stuff when you had 24,000 on the car, it would only be warranted for another 12,000 miles?

·
Registered
367 Posts
So if you added the mountune stuff when you had 24,000 on the car, it would only be warranted for another 12,000 miles?
Makes perfect sense to me. Why would buying a Mountune extend your factory warranty?

I plan going the Mountune route, if there is one. If not, I am sure livernois will beast this car up well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes, but it only states about the Bumper to Bumper

EDIT

Mountune said:
Ford Racing and mountune performance parts, such as these, have the potential to

adversely impact other systems of the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Racing or

mountune performance pack or component, the period and coverage of this Ford Racing Limited Warranty applies

to the repairs.
What I get from this is, if you are past 3yr or 36K, and the Mountune part/tune causes a powertrain failure, you are SOL.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sent Cobb a email asking about the AP. They said most likely we will need to buy a new AP for the RS but they will know more closer to the release of the RS.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sent Cobb a email asking about the AP. They said most likely we will need to buy a new AP for the RS but they will know more closer to the release of the RS.
Dammit...of course... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sounds like the installation of Mountune Packs shortens the original warranty down due to increasing the performance. You get the longer one(5/60) if you leave it alone or add more power and cut it down(3/36), almost in half.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
gte
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing