Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2014 focus st and installed a downpipe and intercooler, but originally just started out with the Accessport before I did anything else. Now I'm not a mechanic or anything, but have some basic knowledge just from tuning the ST and installing some pieces, but will getting an aftermarket tune on the RS make much of a change just based on what we know at this point? Please correct me in anyway if I don't have the right information, but it sounds like they will be already 22-23 lbs of boost from the factory, is the really anymore room to go? I figure they are not going to push the turbo to hard from the factory to prevent extra wear, but any insight on what might be some of the pros of going with an Accessport or anything other tune? As it seems like others are, I am really excited for the car, and I just kind of want to get an idea of what we might be looking at for when we get it. Hopefully I am making sense Lol

Thank you for the help,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think the RS runs 24.3 psi and I'm sure there is room for more power with just a tune. Some of the mustangs are making great power and torque with minimal mods so I'm sure 325+whp and 410+ lbft of torque could be had easly.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
This is my opinion based on other cars with electronic boost control. I can't confirm operation on the RS.

Often manufacturers want a flat torque curve because it feels more naturally aspirated or is smoother for track use. They do this by varying the boost level with RPM so that torque is constant. That usually involves limiting boost in the midrange where the engine would otherwise be the most efficient in order to keep things smooth. Personally I want just the opposite. I want a car whose personality is a turbo. I want nothing below 3 grand and then for the boost to hit hard enough that it breaks the tires loose. I want a dyno graph to look like it was drawn by Michael J Fox in the middle of a tickle fight. So that would be my goal with AccessPort. Keep the factory boost level at all times. Don't try to pull it down for smoothness or drivability. Also don't destroy throttle response for the sake of fuel economy, as Fiat did on the 500 Abarth. Don't delay before cutting fuel during deceleration enleanment/overrun fuel cut. There's a whole bunch of stuff that I would do with an AccessPort. I don't know if they will all be necessary on the RS yet, but none of them are really focused (haha) on more power. It's all character things.

What was your question again? That sort of wandered for a bit.

There are videos on Youtube of tuners working on the Mustang. They got from ~270whp to something like 350 before they upgraded things, and with a downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, and intake were able to go higher on the factory turbo. I want to find this vide again. Hold on.

Definitely worth the watch.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Since we are a protuner shop, I assure you mine will be on the rollers with the AP installed from the get go.

There's room for improvement and I guarantee you'll be able to pull some more power out with just a tune. Like already stated, the Mustang makes gobs more power with some simple bolt on and a tune. Who knows how much the rs will make at this point. But I'll be posting it when we do

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the responses and good to hear. At first I want to keep it all stock and just go with a tune, and I'm sure from then on just like the ST, I will upgrade the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts