Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Update on my hunt and a question for you smart people...

Took this for a 24hr test drive in April and it left me on the side of the road with no clutch. The result being the infamous master cylinder leak onto the clutch. So it now has a new clutch and master cylinder under warranty. With I think normal new clutch break in smell.

My question is, why on an incline, when I push on the clutch to put it in gear, why doesnt the car freely roll backwards? is that a malfunction or yet another magical engineering computer gizmo doing its job?

I really want to buy this thing, but want to make sure its sorted before I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
My question is, why on an incline, when I push on the clutch to put it in gear, why doesnt the car freely roll backwards? is that a malfunction or yet another magical engineering computer gizmo doing its job?
The feature is called “Hill Start Assist” and it can be disabled in the settings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unless you know how it works, this feature can seem glitchy as sometimes you may get the message “hill assist unavailable” flash up when you least expect it.
The car puts this message up if you start the car when parked on an incline, even a slight one, because it requires the brakes to have been applied in order for it to activate. It’s not configured to work with the hand brake.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
3s hold and then it will roll back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed. To this untrained "not yet owner" it seemed erratic and unreliable because I had not yet figured out the 3 seconds etc.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I know about the hill assist but what do you do when it rolls backwards or how to stop it from rolling backwards? Brake of course but how to keep hill assist active?
It is active for 3 seconds and then you are on your own.
Hill starts are usually right foot on the brake pedal.
So the car holds the calipers for you until you accelerate and clutch out to go forward.
You have 3 seconds to do that. If you don't its 'rolling and more rolling'.
Why would you need a permanent system? Do you plan on waiting more than 3 seconds before going up a hill?
If yes, I recommend having the right foot on the brake pedal or handbrake until you get bored.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know. I was quite happy to see that. I also just found out 1 of the key fobs doesn't work despite changing the battery. I assume that's a $500 key.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I know. I was quite happy to see that. I also just found out 1 of the key fobs doesn't work despite changing the battery. I assume that's a $500 key.
You also have anti-stall on the car.
It has been on ford vehicles for years.
If your engine dies because of some reason, clutch in and it will turn back on.

The wife showed me how it works on my RS :).

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Nah, they are cheap as on ebay.

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
Have you tried re-progaming the fob?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts