Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My climate control just doesn't turn on any more. No fan, AC, display, nothing. Buttons don't work. Everything else in the car works.

I haven't been driving the car, traveling for work alot. For a couple of weeks I've had a NOCO Genius 2 battery maintainer connected to my battery. After a couple of days I looked at the charger and it was in "maintain" mode, which is expected. After a couple of weeks I went to disconnect the charger and noticed the fault indicator light illuminated (battery with red X). Weird.

Battery was dead.

Used a booster to get the car started, all ran fine except the climate control all of a sudden did not work. The battery holds charge now and seems just fine.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue? Also, if someone can please link me to a full electrical drawings of the Focus RS that would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
No...but yes...well kinda...
My battery finally started giving hints. It started with ABS warning, which would go away after several miles. Then, no modes available, and no AWD accompanied with no hill assist.
We have all been there. But... after I installed the new battery, two rides later, it started all over again! Finally after blaming the new battery, the trickle charger, the full moon...it all started to work again.
Someone commented, they are all sort of different when the battery gets involved. I agree 100%.
Someone else suggested, disconnect the battery for a bit, to reset...something. Can’t hurt.
Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
No...but yes...well kinda...
My battery finally started giving hints. It started with ABS warning, which would go away after several miles. Then, no modes available, and no AWD accompanied with no hill assist.
We have all been there. But... after I installed the new battery, two rides later, it started all over again! Finally after blaming the new battery, the trickle charger, the full moon...it all started to work again.
Someone commented, they are all sort of different when the battery gets involved. I agree 100%.
Someone else suggested, disconnect the battery for a bit, to reset...something. Can’t hurt.
Good luck!!
Yep, mine started with the automatic stop/start.. It just stopped working and would only work for short periods of time after charging the battery via a NOCO Genius G15000 (I love that thing.. picked it up so I could safely put an e-tune in my RS). Replaced the battery in '19 with an Optima Yellow Top. Better battery all around, and I don't have to put a tender on it (I love the weight savings of LiOn batteries, but between battery life, cold cranking, and stop/start, that's a no go for me right now)..

So! How old is your car / car battery @spoon? Might be time to replace it.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
If the cars battery monitoring system senses a battery issue or degraded battery it will load shed items to save the battery. This might be the issue. How old is the battery? I've found batteries that fail and then come good again for a short period after removal. My suspicion is that tilting and moving the battery around stirs up the material thats shed from the plates and gathered in the bottom of the battery case which eventually shorts out the plates. So it comes good again when maybe even driven around but let it settle for a few weeks/days and it's done again. If the battery is 4 years or more it's time for replacement I reccon. It's not like the old days when you could determine battery condition by cranking performance now they just fail and send the electronics crazy. A battery condition tester that loads the battery is a must have these days and can be had for like $60
Ciao

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great responses, guys. My battery is the original one. I've been looking for another good reason to upgrade to a lightweight battery set up.

What exactly about the battery is bad, though? It holds a charge just fine right now, starts and can drive no problems. I don't have any other electrical warnings like that others have experienced. This is just weird and I thought I may have fried something with the NOCO Genius 2.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Great responses, guys. My battery is the original one. I've been looking for another good reason to upgrade to a lightweight battery set up.

What exactly about the battery is bad, though? It holds a charge just fine right now, starts and can drive no problems. I don't have any other electrical warnings like that others have experienced. This is just weird and I thought I may have fried something with the NOCO Genius 2.
The only valid way to asses the capacity of the battery is with a load or condition tester. A degraded battery can still provide the required voltage and charge ok but not provide the capacity needed under load. I suspect but don't know for sure if the cars BCM system recognises this but I suspect it does. I think 4 years is about the life limit for a battery these days. The battery in my DD Escape went 3.5 years and failed, luckily in the driveway at home. Batteries work hard these days even if you replace it now and I'm wrong it's probably about time anyway.

Ciao

·
Registered
3,102 Posts

Do you have FORSCAN? Might be worth checking for any audio (ACM) or battery (BCM) codes and maybe do a reset that way?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The only valid way to asses the capacity of the battery is with a load or condition tester. A degraded battery can still provide the required voltage and charge ok but not provide the capacity needed under load. I suspect but don't know for sure if the cars BCM system recognises this but I suspect it does. I think 4 years is about the life limit for a battery these days. The battery in my DD Escape went 3.5 years and failed, luckily in the driveway at home. Batteries work hard these days even if you replace it now and I'm wrong it's probably about time anyway.

Ciao
Yes, very much this - I've seen quite a few car and other batteries still being able to give you the nominal voltage when there is no load and then even with modest loads because of internal resistance the voltage drops to unacceptable levels.

I've had batteries die even within the first two years and then you get pro-rated discount (if you want it) on a new one but in general any month it lasts over 3 years is a bonus in my mind.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have FORSCAN. I'll check it out when I'm back home.

I am thinking next trip to the dealer I'll have them diagnose and replace the battery. Hopefully they don't find something fried. :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts