Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I don't think this will go anywhere. Ford is handling the issue and those that haven't extensively modded will still have a warranty after the repair. I'm aware some people have had a negative experience with their gasket repairs but overall I think this will fall flat.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
No class action lawsuit. But we early model Buell XBR owners had headlight buckets heating up and burning.We reported to the NHTSA
and got a program which provided us with updated reflectors better suited to the projector type lamps.

THIS is silly.MY RS runs and drives fine.I passed the test.Yet Ford insists on a new head gasket...Go for it

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
THIS is silly.MY RS runs and drives fine.I passed the test.Yet Ford insists on a new head gasket...Go for it
Because they didn't put the RS gasket in there, to get them out the door they put EB Mustang gaskets in all the early production cars until they could design and test an RS specific head gasket that worked better than the original part number for our cars that was never installed (if any were they were pulled back out before getting to customers). The recall is to remove the "band-aid" they put on the car to sell it Spring of 2016 instead of Fall of 2017.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Because they didn't put the RS gasket in there, to get them out the door they put EB Mustang gaskets in all the early production cars until they could design and test an RS specific head gasket that worked better than the original part number for our cars that was never installed (if any were they were pulled back out before getting to customers). The recall is to remove the "band-aid" they put on the car to sell it Spring of 2016 instead of Fall of 2017.
Whoa, hold up. Are you telling me that you have insider information which confirms that it would have taken Ford over 15 MONTHS to design and get supplied a simple Focus-specific head gasket part, so they just went ahead and knowingly slapped any head gasket they could find on it?

Or is it more likely that you’re just spreading false information on the internet and it was a simple part number mix-up by the head gasket supplier?

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Whoa, hold up. Are you telling me that you have insider information which confirms that it would have taken Ford over 15 MONTHS to design and get supplied a simple Focus-specific head gasket part, so they just went ahead and knowingly slapped any head gasket they could find on it?

Or is it more likely that you’re just spreading false information on the internet and it was a simple part number mix-up by the head gasket supplier?
Come on, use that mass between your ears. Part number mix ups don't last unknown to the builder for 18-19 months. Ford already knew the RS would not use the EBM gasket from the early media where they mentioned a the RS engine having a more robust head gasket than the EBM engine they were comparing it to. The engineering codes for the first RS head gasket and the EBM head gasket are not the same, yet all of the "early" (1.5 years) installs have the EBM code. So even if the supplier happened to mix up gaskets Ford knowingly installed them to get them out the door. There was a production stop on the RS in mid Feb of 2016, the VIN on my special order was cancelled, as was many others, in March I got a new VIN. In that pause either a flaw in the original RS HG was found or they realized they were installing the wrong part. But if it was just wrong part don't you think from that point forward the right RS part would have been installed if it was not flawed? The fact that not until a new RS part was designed and tested before an RS part number is seen in any of our cars more or less proves there was an issue with the first revision of the RS gasket. You don't need insider information when the evidence is out there. If I did have insider information I'm sure an NDA would prevent my disclosing that information.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Except Ford had to have known that by using the wrong head gasket that they would have to replace engines and, ultimately a recall which costs a lot more money than holding off release dates on a car. Let's be honest at this point I suspect the RS is a big money loss for Ford and a huge headache based on the head gasket fiasco. Especially when they are forced to offer incentives to clear out the remaining 2017's that have piled up while the 2018's are piling up on dealer lots, and also deal with all the buybacks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Except Ford had to have known that by using the wrong head gasket that they would have to replace engines and, ultimately a recall which costs a lot more money than holding off release dates on a car. Let's be honest at this point I suspect the RS is a big money loss for Ford and a huge headache based on the head gasket fiasco. Especially when they are forced to offer incentives to clear out the remaining 2017's that have piled up while the 2018's are piling up on dealer lots, and also deal with all the buybacks.
So much hype and hope surrounding the car they could not afford delaying the release. They absolutely had to force the car out.

Every single performance hyped up car of the past 15 years has had the exact same sales issue, there are absolutely no exceptions. Once the hype dies down, that ADM crap and all runs out, and they are desperate to sell the remaining vehicles in a model run.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
So much hype and hope surrounding the car they could not afford delaying the release. They absolutely had to force the car out.

Every single performance hyped up car of the past 15 years has had the exact same sales issue, there are absolutely no exceptions. Once the hype dies down, that ADM crap and all runs out, and they are desperate to sell the remaining vehicles in a model run.
ADM definitely impacts sales as well. Its stupid that dealers add that on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Come on, use that mass between your ears. Part number mix ups don't last unknown to the builder for 18-19 months. Ford already knew the RS would not use the EBM gasket from the early media where they mentioned a the RS engine having a more robust head gasket than the EBM engine they were comparing it to. The engineering codes for the first RS head gasket and the EBM head gasket are not the same, yet all of the "early" (1.5 years) installs have the EBM code. So even if the supplier happened to mix up gaskets Ford knowingly installed them to get them out the door. There was a production stop on the RS in mid Feb of 2016, the VIN on my special order was cancelled, as was many others, in March I got a new VIN. In that pause either a flaw in the original RS HG was found or they realized they were installing the wrong part. But if it was just wrong part don't you think from that point forward the right RS part would have been installed if it was not flawed? The fact that not until a new RS part was designed and tested before an RS part number is seen in any of our cars more or less proves there was an issue with the first revision of the RS gasket. You don't need insider information when the evidence is out there. If I did have insider information I'm sure an NDA would prevent my disclosing that information.
Wow, talk about a conspiracy! all of Ford was in on this across multiple continents!
However I sincerely doubt there was such an organized conspiracy of coverups, there's a very good and solid logical reason this happened, there were mistakes and assumptions made on various levels.

Sometimes mistakes are really just mistakes.

·
Registered
35 Posts

As someone who worked as a quality engineer for three major automotive OEM’s in my previous career, I find it much more likely that the wrong part number was accidentally being installed for those 18+ months rather than Ford was knowingly installing the wrong part, knowing full well they would have to open up every customer car in the future to fix it, and it took them 18+ months to design, test, and receive such a simple part.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I find it much more likely that the wrong part number was accidentally being installed for those 18+ months rather than Ford was knowingly installing the wrong part, knowing full well they would have to open up every customer car in the future to fix it, and it took them 18+ months to design, test, and receive such a simple part.
They would have had no way of knowing at the time that they would be opening up engines to fix this. The thought was "we will just wait and see what happens, maybe this will be ok".

It's not a conspiracy, it's about saving dollars. I am more inclined to believe they did not realize how bad this was going to be early on, as it took some time before the issue was so obviously widespread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I find it much more likely that the wrong part number was accidentally being installed for those 18+ months rather than Ford was knowingly installing the wrong part, knowing full well they would have to open up every customer car in the future to fix it, and it took them 18+ months to design, test, and receive such a simple part.
They would have had no way of knowing at the time that they would be opening up engines to fix this. The thought was "we will just wait and see what happens, maybe this will be ok".

It's not a conspiracy, it's about saving dollars. I am more inclined to believe they did not realize how bad this was going to be early on, as it took some time before the issue was so obviously widespread.
This article goes into detail between the designs of the RS HG vs. the EB HG.

https://jalopnik.com/did-ford-install-the-wrong-head-gaskets-on-the-focus-rs-1821665968

There are major differences here, including four extra holes on the EB HG that allow coolant to flow and pool where it shouldn’t.

There are ZERO decision-makers at Ford who would look at this EB HG design and say “let’s just try it on the RS, we will just wait and see what happens, maybe this will be ok.” They would be fired, on the spot. That isn’t how decisions are made in this industry, I would know.

Again, it’s very likely that it was a part mix-up that didn’t get discovered until customer cars started accumulating miles and showing up to dealerships with problems. It’s an honest mistake, and I’ve seen many MANY honest mistakes like this happen in the industry. They make me shake my head, but they weren’t about “saving dollars.”

I don’t see the point in spreading such a wild and speculative narrative against Ford. I want Ford to be around to service my car in the future. I want my car to hold its value reasonably well and not receive such an unwarranted and horrific image about its build quality. Don’t you?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I want my car to hold its value reasonably well and not receive such an unwarranted and horrific image about its build quality. Don’t you?
Then you should have bought a different brand. (that's not random bashing, Ford vehicles notoriously do not hold their value, I would know)

If you would rather believe that this was just "an honest mistake", that's on you. The truth is, this issue snowballed on them, and if they would not have rushed the vehicle to market a lot of this could have been mitigated.

·
Registered
203 Posts

It's still always about profitabiluty and the bottomline for Ford Corporate. Ford averages around 8% or so profit margin per car but a lot of that is propped up by higher profit SUV's and trucks. The Focus RS is lilkely well under 8% profit per car sold for Ford. So do the math. Ford is likely making around $2-3K per Focus RS sold. Between recall, parts, labor, rental cars, buybacks, car payment assistance, and other warranty repairs on the RS I suspect the profit margins are either tiny at this point or the car is a losing money for the company.

If somone would have rushed a car out that was not ready and resulted in Ford losing profitability on a car they would be likely fired.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This article goes into detail between the designs of the RS HG vs. the EB HG.

https://jalopnik.com/did-ford-install-the-wrong-head-gaskets-on-the-focus-rs-1821665968

There are major differences here, including four extra holes on the EB HG that allow coolant to flow and pool where it shouldn’t.

There are ZERO decision-makers at Ford who would look at this EB HG design and say “let’s just try it on the RS, we will just wait and see what happens, maybe this will be ok.” They would be fired, on the spot. That isn’t how decisions are made in this industry, I would know.

Again, it’s very likely that it was a part mix-up that didn’t get discovered until customer cars started accumulating miles and showing up to dealerships with problems. It’s an honest mistake, and I’ve seen many MANY honest mistakes like this happen in the industry. They make me shake my head, but they weren’t about “saving dollars.”

I don’t see the point in spreading such a wild and speculative narrative against Ford. I want Ford to be around to service my car in the future. I want my car to hold its value reasonably well and not receive such an unwarranted and horrific image about its build quality. Don’t you?
100% agree with you. It's a huge mistake, but I believe human error was the root cause of this recall.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's still always about profitabiluty and the bottomline for Ford Corporate. Ford averages around 8% or so profit margin per car but a lot of that is propped up by higher profit SUV's and trucks. The Focus RS is lilkely well under 8% profit per car sold for Ford. So do the math. Ford is likely making around $2-3K per Focus RS sold. Between recall, parts, labor, rental cars, buybacks, car payment assistance, and other warranty repairs on the RS I suspect the profit margins are either tiny at this point or the car is a losing money for the company.

If somone would have rushed a car out that was not ready and resulted in Ford losing profitability on a car they would be likely fired.
You act like they forced this particular car out to make a huge profit, this was a statement vehicle. Performance machines like this rarely generate large profits, it's more about brand awareness and publicity for the brand as a whole. There was hardly another car in the entire auto industry more hyped up than this one over the past 2 years, that kind of publicity is straight up gold for a brand.

Someone better have gotten fired for this HG dilemma, it's pathetic.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts

The guy who signed off was fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
You act like they forced this particular car out to make a huge profit, this was a statement vehicle. Performance machines like this rarely generate large profits, it's more about brand awareness and publicity for the brand as a whole. There was hardly another car in the entire auto industry more hyped up than this one over the past 2 years, that kind of publicity is straight up gold for a brand.

Someone better have gotten fired for this HG dilemma, it's pathetic.
Not a huge profit but I don't Ford would ever agree to sell and market any mass produced car that is not profitable. Ford is no different and every part and cost is scrutinzed because Ford program engineers/manageres know they have to hit a specific price/proft target. When people complain about things like switches, plastics, materials, etc it's often becuse the only way to evern get these types of cars to market is to get the cheapest, or more affordable, part from the parts bin.

This is just all conspiracy. Perhaps Ford knew, but I find it more likely it was a hunan error and Ford is now paying the price.

I would think most Focus RS owners too would have rather waited to get their car vs dealing with the head gasket issues that many now face.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts