Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chopped Muffler / stock pic for comparison
Focus RS
84268240_2900492943346075_2547202437328928768_o.jpg 84488090_2900492390012797_8885379027150307328_o.jpg 84066192_2900494246679278_6366049978384646144_o.jpg
The dealer says they are replacing the muffler, but i am not sure its worth getting if that and other issues are present.
As someone who is not planning on modding so i am a bit out of the loop on what to look for in a modded car.
It is also illegal in my state to remove the muffler, but the car was originally from a state that has less restrictions.
Personally I would prefer stock.
Another thing to consider is that this is the first FoRS that has been close to me in about 2 months.
Do you think I should buy a FoRS with this kind of shoddy job done?
Does anyone have tips on other problems i should look for?

Things I have found so far:
Head gasket has been replaced with C rev
Muffler has been removed
Engine cover is gone
Front clip sags
There is a greasey substance on the engine near the head gasket (I could not tell if it was an oil leak or gasket grease, but it was black)
The clutch does not feel stock
The gears feel “clonky” compared to the FiST (This may be because i have not driven a FoRS before this one)
The headlights are not aligned
The adaptive headlights do not work

Any help is appreciated, TYIA :)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Only you can decide if it's the right car for the right price for you.
Air filter isn't stock either from the pictures.
But even if you're buying a car that appears to be stock, doesn't mean that it wasn't modded to hell and back, ran hard and put back to stock before it was sold.
Lights not turning might bother some, does it bother you personally? Is the price right for these flaws? What do you mean by the front clip sagging? The hood gap? That's common.
I wouldn't limit myself to cars that showed up locally. I went out of state, drove 10 hours each way, and would of went anywhere in the country if the deal was good enough.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
First thing going through my head is salvage coverup, based only on the fact that the headlights don't work. I'd run the other way, or research the VIN at least.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Like others have said, I would research the VIN if I were you. To me this screams one of two things.

1.) It was heavily modified and the previous owner removed aftermarket parts and put stock back on and just slapped the front clip and lights back quickly to sell it not really caring if it was totally aligned.

2.) It was involved in some sort of front end collision and was put back together poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd probably skip it, but here are a few notes anyways:

A muffler delete doesn't exactly mean the car was tuned or modified further. It's more common on the ST side of things for those who want more noise on a budget, but I've heard of a few on the RS too.

What do you mean the clutch doesn't feel like stock? You noted right after that you haven't driven one before. Did it just feel off or not what you expected? I'd probably see if you could get another drive in.

As for the adaptive headlights, did you mean they won't turn with the steering wheel? They won't turn if the car is stationary or if the headlights are manually turned on. They have to be in "auto" mode for them to do their thing. Don't ask me why.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts