Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All just sharing with the community. I had a check engine light come on a few days ago. Car started to sputter, cut out on acceleration a bit, felt sluggish most of the time (better in Track mode than Normal). I gave it a couple of days, new tank of gas. The light went off for a bit, but came back. I also had two Engine Fault-Service Now errors, but they went away after a restart.

Took the car to the dealer yesterday. After some unrelated PCM update troubles, they finally diagnosed the problem today as bad throttle/gas pedal sensor and/or assembly. I did not really understand over the phone if they were replacing just the sensor or the whole assembly. Waiting for the part, hopefully will be done tomorrow, I will confirm then.

I am guessing my issue is something as described here? https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-throttle-accelerator-pedal-position-sensor

I am at 25K miles, stock. Anyone had similar repairs for RS or other cars?

....am I accelerating too hard? :run: hahaha :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update, got my car back today. The throttle sensor was bad, and the whole gas pedal assembly had to be replaced. I was worried my gas pedal broke as was documented in this thread http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/67834-my-accelerator-broke.html, but no, just electrical gremlins I guess. So, to sum it up, if you get a check engine light, one more thing to troubleshoot. Back on the road now!:driving:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: well the problem came back the same day I picked up my car((

Dealership took it back, cleared codes, updated pcm again, drove it said it was fine. I asked them how hard they drove it. Not very hard. As soon as i picked up the car and accelerated hard into a corner, same thing happened, car stuttered, cut out a few times and gave me engine fault, but did not give me check engine light until a restart. So I am going back tomorrow... I hope 3rd time the charm.

I wonder if I have another issue that is causing this, and throttle sensor was just a symptom. Tech mentioned there was another code like the car was ran without gas (it was not). Could it be fuel pump issue? Any suggestions much appreciated! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Update: well the problem came back the same day I picked up my car((

Dealership took it back, cleared codes, updated pcm again, drove it said it was fine. I asked them how hard they drove it. Not very hard. As soon as i picked up the car and accelerated hard into a corner, same thing happened, car stuttered, cut out a few times and gave me engine fault, but did not give me check engine light until a restart. So I am going back tomorrow... I hope 3rd time the charm.

I wonder if I have another issue that is causing this, and throttle sensor was just a symptom. Tech mentioned there was another code like the car was ran without gas (it was not). Could it be fuel pump issue? Any suggestions much appreciated! Thank you!
Man, a stutter could be a few things. I would find out specifically what that other code was. Hope it gets worked out!

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
If you can reproduce it easily, put your dealer's tech in the passenger seat and demonstrate. That may get you to a solution more quickly.

It's almost impossible to even hazard a guess from the information you've provided.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, guys! This morning I was able to get all error codes lit up with the tech in the car (scared him a bit I think cause he said, yeah, he was not test driving the car in the "right conditions" haha a nice polite tech). He took the car straight to the stall to get the readings, and they are in touch with Ford engineers as well. Once they text me the error code numbers, I will post here. Thanks, again!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You scared the tech with all that RS Adrenaline academy driving style. :adoration:
haha yep I told him look I did all this yesterday in Utah on identical car without any problems... so I need my car fixed please :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: all error codes that popped up this morning point to throttle/pedal issue according to the tech, so they are diagnosing wiring to the ECU now (since the pedal assembly had already been replaced). Fingers crossed it is just a simple bad wire/contact problem...
cause I have FP tune to install in two weeks! :eagerness:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: with help from Ford, the dealer was able to isolate the problem (which as I understand is a drop in voltage) to two circuits on Friday. They asked me to come back and drive the car around to recreate the problem with the data logger attached (to narrow it down further), but of course the car drove perfectly... as hard as I tried scaring many Upland residents in the process I am sure. So they sent me home for the weekend with the unit attached haha. Finally, on Sunday, the error popped again, the unit beeped, so I am assuming it recorded it, I pushed the button manually as well as instructed. Back to the dealer this morning and waiting on data results now... They are very curious themselves wth is causing this.
20170806_142042.jpg
20170806_142059.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any word on what the fancy push button machine told the dealer?
something, but they ain't sharing yet haha :( last word is they know what they are looking for, but still trying to figure it out... that was from yesterday evening, no updates today yet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update: the tech is still working with Ford Engineering to figure out the solution. Whatever procedure they suggested today did not work, so they waiting for another reply. This is clearly something unusual. Tomorrow will be day 5 of working on the circuitry fix, and close to two weeks all together spenT on this problem :distress:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. Got a text from service today: Good afternoon we are on a good path with your RS we have the circuit narrowed down to throttle pedal 1 circuit there is about a 2 foot section of wiring we are checking the ohms for to see what is going on in that circuit So looks like they are getting closer to the problem, fingers crossed, the guys have been working hard on my car.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
My wire ohms are bad!

Ohms is a measure of resistance. In the line of using resistance to measure wires, it's essentially either open or closed.

Your service dude is blowing minor smoke at ya. But hopefully your tech is on it. Perhaps just poor at communicating it to your service manager.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My wire ohms are bad!

Ohms is a measure of resistance. In the line of using resistance to measure wires, it's essentially either open or closed.

Your service dude is blowing minor smoke at ya. But hopefully your tech is on it. Perhaps just poor at communicating it to your service manager.
I sincerely hope they know what they are doing... thanks for scaring me though hahaha :confused:
So my problem is intermittent/occasional voltage drop somewhere... so I am guessing whatever resistance test they are performing may identify where/why the drop is occurring?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I sincerely hope they know what they are doing... thanks for scaring me though hahaha :confused:
So my problem is intermittent/occasional voltage drop somewhere... so I am guessing whatever resistance test they are performing may identify where/why the drop is occurring?

Sorry didn't mean to scare ya!

If it's a broken wire, poking at it with a meter will track it down, eventually.

I'm sure they will solve it. Sorry again if I added to your worries.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry didn't mean to scare ya!

If it's a broken wire, poking at it with a meter will track it down, eventually.

I'm sure they will solve it. Sorry again if I added to your worries.
No worries, I appreciate your input! They told me this would take a bit of time to narrow down because the issue was so intermittent. I drove around with the data logger attached for three days (over the previous weekend) trying to recreate it, and finally was able to get the error to come on. So I could definitely appreciate the effort the tech was putting in to get to the bottom of this. I guess what I meant was I really want to believe they are getting there! :) As a side note, they also let me know that Ford's electrical diagram for the RS was incorrect in a couple of places, which they have already brought to Ford's attention to fix, but this also contributed to the delay to sort out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: My advisor let me know that the problem is definitely in throttle pedal circuit #1, which, as he explained, connects the pedal assembly/sensor to the Body Control Module. I am not sure if BCM and PCM are the same on the RS? The issue is high resistance somewhere in the circuit, which occasionally causes the throttle signal to cut out, etc. The tech has been following Ford Engineering instructions troubleshooting various components in the circuit. They thought they had found a problem wire a couple of days ago, but, after waiting for a connector part and replacing it today, the problem is still there. So they have sent an update to Ford and will wait for further instructions tomorrow. (sigh)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: Per my advisor, they are still waiting for Ford Engineering to figure out what to do next. Ford has not encountered this issue before, so sounds like they are a bit stumped. On Friday, it will be more or less 30 days in the shop.

I am thinking I should start looking into a potential replacement/buyback if still no repair progress by the end of the week. Is anyone is familiar with this in California? Should I contact Ford directly or work through my dealer first?

From reading a little about it, Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act (i.e. California Lemon Law) still applies even though my car is at 25K miles. However, I would rather avoid going through a lawyer, etc. if I do not have to. I mean if Ford themselves cannot figure out how to fix my car, would they deny this? Thank you for the advice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts