Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running aftermarket charge pipes having issues with clearance or, even worse, rubbing? I just pulled my cold charge pipe and there's some wear marking on it. Yes, I played with the fitment to allow as much clearance as possible at both ends of the pipe. It is still colliding.

I bet if the manufacturer added a tab to the A/C adjusting bolt, this would not be an issue. Thoughts?

20170809_111509~2.jpg

20170809_111523~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
interesting - yeah the ETS kit has a tab that attaches to the AC bolt which ensures it will rigidly clear any solid parts, I would imagine this kit could benefit from that just the same

it'd probably take a while, but it's probably something you should do something about before it wears a hole through and causes a pressure leak...even if you just add some kind of rubber like material between the pipe and wherever it's rubbing

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting that ETS is doing exactly what I thought when saw it!

Gonna "de-bur" the A/C metal and put a silicone spacer between the two.

I wonder if cp-e would be willing change their design...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had the same problem with my CP-E pipe as well. I finally got my pipe adjust where it didn't rub and the bead roll still fell to the inside of the clamp. Ultimately the pipe collapsed on me. I emailed CP-E and they blamed me for placing the clamp too close to the bead roll. I assured them I didn't and haven't heard from them since. Very disappointed. Here is the pipe with the collapsed end. You can see the rub mark in the background.

IMG_1331.JPG

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
the hell? there should never be a worry with these pipes that you tighten them so much they literally collapse in on themselves...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hmm, yeah. Having a thin aluminum pipe on the bottom of the car isn't the best idea. That is why we made our out of 2mm think 304 stainless steel...and the same mounting and fitment of the OEM part. Our charge pipe will be the last thing to fail on your car.

We could have saved money by using aluminum or not using custom OEM-style silicone hoses, but why would you want that shortcut as a consumer? We prefer to pay more in manufacturing costs to make the product a quality that we'd want to have in our own cars.

SteamSpeed Focus RS Intercooler High-Flow Pipe and Hose Kit - Intercoolers - Accessories

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I had a bad experience with them, as did others back in my GenCoupe days.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hmm, yeah. Having a thin aluminum pipe on the bottom of the car isn't the best idea. That is why we made our out of 2mm think 304 stainless steel...and the same mounting and fitment of the OEM part. Our charge pipe will be the last thing to fail on your car.

We could have saved money by using aluminum or not using custom OEM-style silicone hoses, but why would you want that shortcut as a consumer? We prefer to pay more in manufacturing costs to make the product a quality that we'd want to have in our own cars.

SteamSpeed Focus RS Intercooler High-Flow Pipe and Hose Kit - Intercoolers - Accessories
Make a kit for an SSQV and I'll buy. CP-E lost me as a customer as soon as they never responded to my response to them...

·
Registered
721 Posts
@Slider, why do you say that?
Other are having the same issue on the ST too with their charge pipes.

I have an older set of OCD pipes and they mount to the AC compressor. Had no issues after 30k miles, not sure why others aren't going this route or like @SteamSpeed posted, going with silicone for the cold pipe. I believe Mountune does this as well.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Make a kit for an SSQV and I'll buy. CP-E lost me as a customer as soon as they never responded to my response to them...
that's a little more difficult to do considering the OEM diverter valve is literally built into the compressor housing and the SSQV would add a lot of bulk to an already tight space...if someone did offer it though, it would be completely unrelated to the charge pipes

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
721 Posts
that's a little more difficult to do considering the OEM diverter valve is literally built into the compressor housing and the SSQV would add a lot of bulk to an already tight space...if someone did offer it though, it would be completely unrelated to the charge pipes

View attachment 200466
They make block plates for the compressor housing, so easy enough to fix that...I just don't see the point in increasing failure points, adding complexity, etc. when an upgraded stock location BPV will handling anything you can throw at it.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
They make block plates for the compressor housing, so easy enough to fix that...I just don't see the point in increasing failure points, adding complexity, etc. when an upgraded stock location BPV will handling anything you can throw at it.
oh, yeah I didn't mean to imply it wasn't doable haha - anything is really, it's just more work and not really worth the R&D time for a fab shop to offer it for your exact point

if he wanted to go that route I would recommend buying an existing kit plus blocking plate and asking a local welder to weld in the SSQL flange as a one off

·
Registered
176 Posts
It could be done from the silicone hose section, but our stainless steel charge pipe follows the same profile as the OEM unit, so there isn't space for a flange there. There are couplers and inserts that have a SSQV flange that you could use. Eg.

s-l1000.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
The SteamSpeed kit looks identical to Mountune to me. Maybe from the same factory in China haha.
I'd say there were two approches:
1. SteamSpeed's and Mountune's approach: be like OEM fitment but upgraded. Make a stainless steel charge pipe that replaces the OEM plastic pipe exactly. Make custom silicone hoses that replace the OEM hoses exactly but better without restrictions.
2. Everyone else ETS, CP-e, etc. approach: just made cheaper aluminum pipes as long as possible so they connect with standard couplers. Standard couplers are a lot cheaper than custom silicone parts.

I think SteamSpeed's and Mountune's approach is better. I don't blame CP-e or ETS using their approach. It is cheaper, and faster to market, but lower quality and durability. Hey, but I guess if it works it works. It looks like in CP-e's case, it doesn't.

I'd rather buy Mountune's kit, or SteamSpeed's...whichever is a better deal. The stainless steel, and longer hoses seem like a long lasting solution.

Can someone who runs SteamSpeed's or Mountune's kit comment on how they like it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts