Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car up, went under the car and noticed this before messing with anything. Any thoughts on what it is, where it's coming from so when I go to dealer I can guide them in the right direction? Clearly something is leaking? Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Changed my oil last week and found the same. It seems to be coming higher up than the banjo fitting on mine. There is a thread on this in the maintenance section I believe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got underneath my car for the first time to change the oil and noticed my drain bolt was rounded off kind of like yours. Pretty disappointed in the service tech that did this.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Got my car up, went under the car and noticed this before messing with anything. Any thoughts on what it is, where it's coming from so when I go to dealer I can guide them in the right direction? Clearly something is leaking? Thanks in advance :)
Changed my oil last week and found the same. It seems to be coming higher up than the banjo fitting on mine. There is a thread on this in the maintenance section I believe.
Correct. I can't find the thread (I think it was part or off-shoot of the banjo oil leak thread), but it is possibly coming from the valve cover or head. Have either of you guys got the HG recall done recently? I got a similar leak from mine and it was due to the tech incorrectly applying the sealant which caused the leak. Took it back in and had it redone and it has been ok so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar leak on mine that was resolved by replacing the Banjo Bolt and Washers. So unless it's obvious the leak is coming from somewhere else (see the "Oil Leak after HG Replacement" thread), I'd start there.

Also, based on the first image, it looks like your PTU Intermediate Shaft Seal has had a minor leak at some point. If you're under warranty, I'd have them replace that with the updated seal while you're at it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The drain plug bolt on this car is made out of tin foil, honestly. On all my other cars i've never had one deform so easily.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Had HG done as well. Thanks for the input.
What date was the HG change done? there was a revision to the shop manual last October that added a requirement to put TA-30 sealant at 2 locations on the gasket surfaces before installing the head to prevent oil leaks. If it was done prior to this then thats a possibility. As long as the tech took the time to review the manual that is. Some experienced guys that have done a task a time or 2 then forget to check for manual revisions and miss this sort of thing. As usual look for the simple stuff first like the rocker cover gasket and the turbo drain oil line which is easily damaged when they do the gasket. Then move onto the front timing chain cover.
Lots of people seem to have replaced the turbo banjo washers, some multiple times to no effect only to find the leak somewhere else. Also check the TDC lock pin blank screw on the rear or the block. Easy to leave out when they put it back together.

Ciao

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had mine done prior to October so that can be added to the list of things for them to check. Very much appreciate the info. Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Had mine done prior to October so that can be added to the list of things for them to check. Very much appreciate the info. Thanks!
Snap! Exactly the same oil leak in mine. HG done May 2017, so before the sealant revision. If you find the source of the leak please let us know. I’ll be at the dealer (shudder) late April to get it checked/fixed.

And once again thanks to lucky phil for the great advice!

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
This is the first upgrade/mod I did to my car. Cant go wrong with a magnetic drain plug.
I actually shy away from it because I feel it skews oil analysis results. While the idea of allowing metal particles to continue to circulate makes me cringe, a. I want to know what kind of metal it is (which requires analysis) and b. hopefully the filter will get the large pieces, if they're there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts