Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a catless downpipe and with the recent change to C.A.R.B. I’ve been finding it very difficult to pass emissions.

can i get some tips or tricks, perhaps a link or two to getting the code to stay off my dash. Defouler? 90degree elbow? I can put oem cat back on but then I’m out over a 1k

thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
973 Posts
Are you in California? If so, they examine the parts so I'd think you would need to have a CARB certified downpipe on it, or you might need to put the OE one back on to pass emissions.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, you will fail visual inspection even if you can trick the computer. The CARB laws are designed to catch precisely this - they want catalysts, and all emissions system stuff has to be working. They do go overboard on stuff that doesn't matter, but a catless car pollutes a lot, so you'd fail a sniffer as well.

·
Premium Member
8,180 Posts
CA Smog rarely does the sniffer now.

The ECU checks needs all to pan out as well as the smog also checks if it's a carb approved tune.

The defauler might work. If your passes visual and the checks cycle through you might pass

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good luck with this. I deal with the same crap living in Portland OR. One of two counties in Oregon that requires emissions testing. Had to re-use the factory downpipe in order to stay compliant. Really neutered my "big turbo" build as the factory cat becomes a bottleneck at around 340-350 whp. Could have made more torque with the factory turbo.

Until Cobb comes out with a GESi DP like they have for the Focus ST, I think we're kinda stuck.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Until Cobb comes out with a GESi DP like they have for the Focus ST, I think we're kinda stuck.
Cobb had one, but discontinued it (I believe coinciding with the emissions update). They got rid of their FoST one too.

ETS has one listed... but unsure if they're still making them:

·
Registered
656 Posts
You may wish to check the MagnaFlow web site. They offer a federally compliant (and OEM compatible) down pipe with cat, and there's a listing for CA as well; though I couldn't complete the search for that product as they asked for some C.A.R.B. number off my vehicle which I obviously don't have as my RS was originally sold in Canada and is now living in Almost Canada (MI) with me, eh. Maybe Borla, Flow Master or Black Heart offers a DP/cat as well? All are probably more expensive than an add on defouler for what you've got though.

Good luck on getting it worked out!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Does catless DP actually do anything for our car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does catless DP actually do anything for our car?
I'm not entirely sure with regards to the stock turbo whether the downpipe or the fuel system becomes the next restricting factor (after FMIC) first. But I recently had the Precision NX2 turbo installed on my Mountune N1 Longblock and we reached a point of diminishing returns around 22-23 PSI of boost. Factory cat just couldn't evacuate enough back pressure for the turbo to hit it's stride. My setup, i'd probably gain another 60 whp and 100 ft/lbs going catless but it's a road car that needs to be able to pass emissions. I don't get quite the massive low RPM shove that the stock turbo had but the top of the rev range is awesome and the sound.... wow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cobb had one, but discontinued it (I believe coinciding with the emissions update). They got rid of their FoST one too.

ETS has one listed... but unsure if they're still making them:
Marketing says it cures "most" check engine lights. That's not good enough for me to first drop $1200 on their pipe, and also start cutting into my Mountune catback i waited 5 months for, just to find out whether or not I get a CEL.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
The right answer for any street driven car is use a downpipe with a proper working cat in it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Well with the recent good news the Supreme Court told the epa to piss up a rope. Hopefully this allows us to get back to being a free people making our own laws not letting an unelected body make them .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts