Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another newbie question. Sorry.
I’m looking at a Cobb, valved, resonated, cat back from Wolf Racing, $2,339. Any problems with them, the exhaust, fitment or cheaper alternatives that are worth the saving? All in your opinion of course.
Thanks for (any) replies.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hear they sound good, but you probably will get just as much out of a muffler bypass which would be so much cheaper. Then save the $ for when you mod it properly and tune it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here ya go....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just wanted to confirm that the bypass should be welded on the left side (passenger) for us. Everywhere else I've seen them say driver side which I take it is because of LHD for the U.S

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve been reading a fair bit on the sites recently and this is the first time I have ever heard of the bypass. So far I’m still leaning towards a cat back but I will continue to look. 👍

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I’ve been reading a fair bit on the sites recently and this is the first time I have ever heard of the bypass. So far I’m still leaning towards a cat back but I will continue to look. 👍
Ive had the bypass done for a couple years. It sounds incredible and can be done for around $200.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I just wanted to confirm that the bypass should be welded on the left side (passenger) for us. Everywhere else I've seen them say driver side which I take it is because of LHD for the U.S
Yes, passenger side for right hand drive. When looking at it, its obvious where it goes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Watch the video in the link I posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hear they sound good, but you probably will get just as much out of a muffler bypass which would be so much cheaper. Then save the $ for when you mod it properly and tune it.
I see this on forums & FB groups a lot, people recommending muffler bypass/deletes. Each to their own, but before anyone does this it's worth considering that generally (varies state by state) it is a legal requirement to have a working muffler (I think mostly for noise) otherwise your car is not road legal. Like every mod, do it at your own risk.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you plan on tuning then keep the stock cat-back and just get a cat less downpipe. If you plan on staying stock and want a louder exhaust with gunshots then go for the COBB. I have a Mountune V2x (no valve) and it's fantastic. Sounds like a rally car with gunshots in sport, race and drift mode.

If I could do it over again I would of went with the COBB but with a manual valve control switch (the stock valve control programming is odd, i.e. open on cold start to heat the cat up quicker). My cold starts are LOUD (until the EGR valve, I think, closes) but I live in the country so no one but the wife and kids care on those 5am startups before work.

Would also be nice to have a valve when the Cops are close by but VERY light throttle input has worked to keep them away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you plan on tuning then keep the stock cat-back and just get a cat less downpipe.
I don’t know about Canada, but again for those aussies on here, replacing a catted DP with catless is 100% NOT road legal (but by the sounds of it most people only track their cars and don’t drive on roads right ;) )

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah it's not exactly legal here either but not all areas have emissions testing. So in the rural areas some people (mainly pick-up trucks) go for catless exhausts. I'm still emissions legal and intend on staying that way.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don’t know about Canada, but again for those aussies on here, replacing a catted DP with catless is 100% NOT road legal (but by the sounds of it most people only track their cars and don’t drive on roads right ;) )
Yolo, don't be a nanny stater!!😄

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
You guys are so lucky, San Diego California is so stringent on emissions.

My location is the city.... If it was more on the urban side its not too bad.

I already have my share of fix-it tickets in the past.

I ended up getting the Ford Performance exhaust by Borla. Better than stock and stamped with Ford logo all over.

I would have went with something else if I live elsewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I won’t be getting the exhaust just yet. The company I ordered through want me to send photos of the credit card and my drivers licence to them via email or sms. That’s not happening.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts