Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone had posted an image where there was a slideshow from Ford in the background. One of their slides said "0-60mph 4.4 seconds (even faster with cup tyres)". Let's take a look at some high performance cars and see what the RS can beat, or come close to beating, to 60mph and how much these cars cost. For reference, the RS starts at $35,730.

(These times are based off of popular websites, such as car and driver, using a MANUAL transmission, if available)

2016 Mustang GT
0-60: 4.5 seconds
Base Price: $30,559
Verdict: The Mustang GT is actually a really good value for the performance, being just a tenth slower to 60 yet costing 5 grand less.

2015 Challenger Scat Pack (485 HP)
0-60: 4.4 seconds
Base Price: $39,490
Verdict: RS ties the Scat and beats the price by 4 grand

2015 Camaro SS
Base Price: $34,500
Verdict: Roughly the same performance 0-60, but the RS would manhandle the 'maro in the turns.

Audi S3
Base Price: $43,425
Verdict: Just as quick as the RS, but you're paying 6 grand more for the interior

BMW 335i M sport
0-60: 4.6 seconds
Base Price: $44,045
Verdict: A good win for the RS here, save yourself 7k and get a quicker car? Yes, please.

Lancer EVO MR
0-60: 4.9 seconds
Base Price: $35,305
Verdict: The EVO is about to die, and the RS is the last nail in its coffin. Much better performance for your dollar with the RS.

Audi R8
0-60: 4.0 seconds
Base Price: $117,150
Verdict: Can you imagine showing up an R8 on the street? I can't wait.

Chevy SS
0-60: 4.6 seconds
Base Price: $46,470
Verdict: This starts to go in a different car segment, but you can still see the RS is quicker and costs much less.

Lexus GS-F
0-60: 4.4 seconds (ESTIMATED)
Base Price: $85,380
Verdict: If the estimated 0-60 holds true, or is close, the RS destroys the GS-F in value.

Lexus RC-F
Base Price: $62,805
Verdict: Not much to see here, just a 25k savings. I'm not a Lexus guy so I don't get their appeal.

Nissan Z
0-60: 5.1 seconds
Base Price: $30,815
Verdict: Why do they still make these???

Subaru STI
0-60: 4.8 seconds
Base Price: $35,490
Verdict: If the STI gets some engine revisions, then I'll look in to it again. Great car, but the RS is just all around better.

VW Gold R
Base Price: $36,370
Verdict: In my opinion, the RS's closest competition. But, I NEED that stick shift.

This is just from 15 minutes of searching C&D's site, but it seems that the RS is a very good value for the performance, not to mention the handling in the twisties that some of the other cars don't offer, like the mustang. What surprised me the most was the R8's 0-60, I thought it would be a bit quicker. And you can start to see the cars with aging engines are falling quite a bit behind, such as the Z and the Evo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was really sold on an STI for many many years until the RS came along. I think it'd be hard for anyone looking for a car in this segment to pass up the RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Nice list! We should continue to add on to this.

BMW M235i
0-60: 4.7 seconds (Manual)
Base Price: $44,150 (Somehow slower and more expensive than the bigger heavier 335?
Verdict: I'll take an RS please.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Since I'm a cheapskate I'll add this one:

BMW 228i
0-60: 5.1 seconds
Base Price: 2wd $34,600 ; AWD $38,060 (MY2016 from edmunds.com)
Verdict: How can any FoRS Dealer with half a brain
risk pushing a customer into this with their [email protected]#$ ADM?

I mean, is anyone going to claim that the 228i's interior styling/controls are less attractive,
or that its expected reliability is less than that of the RS?

On the other hand, using Edmunds' "Build & Price" feature, I found that adding pretty much all of the major options packages adds ~$17k to the 228i's price, so it'd take a little while to identify which are worth the extra $$$ :).

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Audi R8
0-60: 4.0 seconds
Base Price: $117,150
Verdict: Can you imagine showing up an R8 on the street? I can't wait.
What surprised me the most was the R8's 0-60, I thought it would be a bit quicker.
C&D has this listed for a 2014 R8 V8. Two things, a) Audi says the V8 only does it in 4.4 so C&D crushed that time and b) Audi lists the V10 at 3.1-3.4 depending on the model.

Also, the S3/Golf R are running high 3's with just a tune. That DSG is no slouch, but the R comes in a manual still.

Sorry, even though I know I'll love my RS I still love my Audi :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
On the other hand, using Edmunds' "Build & Price" feature, I found that adding pretty much all of the major options packages adds ~$17k to the 228i's price, so it'd take a little while to identify which are worth the extra $$$ :).
Yeah, Msport and track pack add a LOT to the price. But you get adaptive suspension and some other cool bits. It's impossible to get one with JUST the M sport and track pack off a dealer lot though, which is why you see the $17k option package bundles on edmonds. (I think M sport and Track pack are around $5-6k)

Plus Stage 1 tune on those cars is like +45whp

·
Registered
262 Posts
VW Gold R
Base Price: $36,370
Verdict: In my opinion, the RS's closest competition.
Unless you like accurate fuel emission ratings :^)

·
Registered
29 Posts
As much as I enjoy going 0-60, and I do, it tells such a small amount of the story. It's really a combination of 0-60 and 1/4 mile for speed. Too many factors can underestimate 0-60 whether it be awd, dual clutch gearboxes, etc.

I want to go fast and it feel fast. The M235 is fantastic, the S3 is faster but not nearly as good to drive.

It all comes down to how they drive. I guess we wait until January for press reviews.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think the S3 is at this point the closest thing to the RS, options considered. The S3 comes standard with the equivalent of the RS2 + Moonroof on the RS - power heated seats, moonroof, some other goodies. So the price difference is not that dramatic if you care about the RS2 package.

That said, I don't want to own an Audi and never will

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not that it's a perfect comparison to begin with; but as soon as you say, "just a tune", you wreck the comparative value.
Not necessarily in this case. It's going to be hard for some here to accept that with a tune and similar bolt ons like the golf r that it might not be as fast.

But that's only because of the dsg

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Don't forget that slide in the Photos & Videos thread - about the 4.4 0-60 time it says "Cup tyre even faster"!

Maybe 4.3 or even 4.2, which would sure add some more cars to the list :)

Jim

·
Registered
190 Posts
As much as I enjoy going 0-60, and I do, it tells such a small amount of the story. It's really a combination of 0-60 and 1/4 mile for speed. Too many factors can underestimate 0-60 whether it be awd, dual clutch gearboxes, etc.

I want to go fast and it feel fast. The M235 is fantastic, the S3 is faster but not nearly as good to drive.

It all comes down to how they drive. I guess we wait until January for press reviews.

I agree, its all about trap speed. Look at the STI yea 0-60 is pretty good but it traps at what, 104? And the camaro, mustang, charger and challenger scat pack have all trapped 113-116 depending on test. If the RS hits a high 12 stock I doubt it'll trap any higher than 108-109. I'm actually more interested in 30-70 mph sprints.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Yeah, Msport and track pack add a LOT to the price. But you get adaptive suspension and some other cool bits. It's impossible to get one with JUST the M sport and track pack off a dealer lot though, which is why you see the $17k option package bundles on edmonds. (I think M sport and Track pack are around $5-6k)

Plus Stage 1 tune on those cars is like +45whp
I think you're talking about the 235 not 228.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Not necessarily in this case. It's going to be hard for some here to accept that with a tune and similar bolt ons like the golf r that it might not be as fast.

But that's only because of the dsg

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. Once you're willing to give up your warranty and spend $XXXX(X), anything can be "faster". Out the door, with the company willing to pay if it breaks...that's the comparison that is meaningful to me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. Once you're willing to give up your warranty and spend $XXXX(X), anything can be "faster". Out the door, with the company willing to pay if it breaks...that's the comparison that is meaningful to me.
I understand both sides is all I'm saying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
skyz
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing