Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Carbon Fiber DiNoc (CA-421) on front bumper cover

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  67cupchamps 
#1 · (Edited)
Carbon Fiber Wrap (DiNoc CA-421) on front bumper cover

TL;DR Wrapped centre bumper piece in DiNoc CA-421 Matte Carbon Fiber wrap

The Story:

I recently had xpel done on front of the car. I had a problem that the matte black centre piece on the bumper cover was marked up enough that it really was not going to look good xpel'd (and I had even bought some matte xpel for it).

So I had everything in the front done except this piece with the intent to take it off, fix it up, and then matte xpel it.

I initially ...
- took off front bumper cover and removed the centre piece
- repainted it matte black (I was too cheap to take it and have it professionally re-painted - i figured what's the point of spending $$$ on this when it's just going to get beat to crap again)
- had it covered with xpel matte

After the above process imo it looked like crap. The matte black re-painting looked very good to the naked eye before xpel, but when the matte xpel was applied every single minor imperfection in the paint was extremely highlighted. My wife tried to convince me that with the piece down low in the front, the angle of view would not show the highlighted imperfections and it would all be good. I agreed, kind of, and it sat in the house for 1.5 days waiting for me to re-install it while I stewed over it.

So I happened to have some CF DiNoc sitting around from previous wrapping of some interior parts on my GT-R. As I looked at this bumper piece with growing disgust, I decided to wrap it before re-installing it.

I've wrapped several smaller pieces - some with tricky curves and edges - so while I'm far from any pro level, I'm comfortable playing with this wrap. This piece was surprisingly challenging though because of the multitude of curves. It took a lot of heat to get a wrinkle free one-piece wrap on it - but in the end it turned out ok I think.

Automotive exterior Grille Vehicle Car Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Floor Electronic device Carbon Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory

I know it's not for everyone, but I personally prefer the matte CF look of the CA-421 DiNoc.

I have no idea how this is going to hold up to the elements fwd facing on the front of the car like it is. I suspect I'll end up replacing it every year or two - we'll see how it looks in the spring.

Here's some details of the procedure is anyone is interested...

PS. Also added DMB gels (front, rear, wing) at same time.

Remove the front bumper liner... this is a decent guide video:

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

The points of fastener removal and clip points are circled below.

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Sport venue Auto part

I hate these, bugger to work off without breaking it... but it's possible - take it slowly... fortunately there are only 2 of these.

Bumper Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Gently pry each side of these clips up a bit at a time. There are 6 of these clips.

Roof Net Automotive exterior Metal Chain-link fencing

Your liner will look like this with the centre cover removed.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Plant

Here's what my centre looked like before starting... yuck.

Grass Bumper Automotive exterior

Clean the piece well before starting. Front AND back. Of course remove the RS logo (apply some heat from behind) and the tow hook cap.

This is a tricky piece to cover... if you've never done DiNoc on irregular shapes before, slow heat, stretch, smooth and repeat.

I also suggest applying some 3M adhesive primer to the BACK of the cover where the DiNoc will overlap to. This helps adhesion tremendously and will ensure the wrap-around ends stay tightly in place. I also coated the inner section of the RS logo and the recessed area where the tow hook cap is to enhance adhesion in those areas. I did NOT prime any other areas because you WILL need to lift/reapply the vinyl now and then and once you lay vinyl over primed areas it is extremely difficult to pull up without damage.

Product Food Dish Cuisine Wood stain

Axe Hatchet Dane axe

Floor Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Tie Mat Floor Electric blue Flooring

Reattach the logo using some 3M body panel tape.

Bumper Strap Belt Automotive exterior Auto part

Of course you'll need to wrap your tow hook cover. Take care to align the material as best as possible with the alignment on the main centre piece so it follows the same orientation and grain.

Re-install and enjoy!

See less See more
1 14
#3 ·
Considering it yes. Don't want to go overboard, but maybe... I need some time to recover from this headache first. :)

#4 ·
Added some more pics and info.

#6 ·
Any update on how this holds up to the elements? My stock bumper cover has stupid front license plate holes, and at $200 this carbon fiber replacement is much better than $600 for stock.

#8 · (Edited)
I did dinoc on my old Evo X in 2012 on the side doors, since my neighbor's kid at that time scratched it and will cost same $$$ to air brush it:

It held up pretty well, no peeling or fading till I got rear ended in Dec 2016:

It might not be installed front and center, but at least it attest on how it holds up to the elements. My Evo X was parked outside from 2012 through 2016.

Reactions: Atomicinternet
#9 ·
I'm not skilled at wrapping, so I wound up using this $200 complete replacement instead: new front bumper center plate grille insert carbon fiber fits 2016-2019 Focus RS | eBay

I'm not a fan of the faint dimples for the bracket mount, but at least now I have a bumper insert without holes or scratches. I also wasn't initially a fan of the carbon fiber, but your photos looked great and I think mine turned out well.

I'm sure people will disagree, but I didn't actually remove the entire bumper. I let it sag on the bottom connectors so I could avoid disconnecting the fog lights and bottom tray. I was able to reach into the gap and undo the clips and take it off from the front.

The annoying metal clips I found easiest to grab with needle nose pliers and twist back and forth while removing. I pried up one side of the clip enough to get the pliers under it from the side, then twisted back and forth and it seemed to work it's way off with each twist. No damage to the clip or the tab either.

I was also shocked how easy the RS badge came off, just minor prodding and it was in my hand (with lots of gunk built up on the sticky surface). I'm surprised these don't fall off constantly, unless I just had a bad application from the factory.

Since this piece is the most exposed bodywork on our car (and most noticeable because it's dark colored) I'm guessing a lot of people will be replacing it as time goes on. Your photos made swapping a breeze.

Reactions: nicklulu
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.