Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my car to work and everything started up fine and was running perfect. I went outside to start it in the morning and the car won't start and gives me a lot of error messages on the dashboard. I'm getting power in the cab and my lights turn on, but my milage and trip just has dashes through them and it won't register the car is in the "ON" position, so I'm not able to read if there are any codes. The battery is perfect and I tested all the fuses and pulled the ignition starter relay to test it. There were some storms that night, so I'm wondering if lightning fried something. Any ideas?

·
Registered
222 Posts
What does "won't start" mean? Cranks over and doesn't fire? Won't even turn over? Errors on the dash is indicative of a battery issue, either low charge or poor connection to the positive terminal or to ground. I'd guess low battery as I've seen this before on other cars. What is the battery voltage? Should be above 12 volts, probably 12.3 or so. What happens to that voltage when you attempt to start it? Sunroof? Car was outside? Check under the floor mats for water intrusion. If your sunroof drains are plugged, water could have run into the footwells.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
the car is in the "ON" position..........
My apologies for me sounding dumb...... but how do we put the RS in the "ON" position? 🤔

On a regular car with a key ignition there is an ACC and ON postion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does "won't start" mean? Cranks over and doesn't fire? Won't even turn over? Errors on the dash is indicative of a battery issue, either low charge or poor connection to the positive terminal or to ground. I'd guess low battery as I've seen this before on other cars. What is the battery voltage? Should be above 12 volts, probably 12.3 or so. What happens to that voltage when you attempt to start it? Sunroof? Car was outside? Check under the floor mats for water intrusion. If your sunroof drains are plugged, water could have run into the footwells.
The car won't attempt to turn over. Also, the battery isn't losing volts and there is no water in the floorboards. Whether I clutch in or not when I push the start button, the car does the exact same thing where it just dots out the mileage and pops up all the errors. We tried jumping it too and it would not turn over either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My apologies for me sounding dumb...... but how do we put the RS in the "ON" position? 🤔

On a regular car with a key ignition there is an ACC and ON postion.
Whenever you push the button without having the clutch pressed in, I would assume that is what it means by the "ON" position. When I try to read codes on my accessport, it says "verify vehicle is in the on position"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No issues with the keyfob?
Not that I know of and I tried putting it on that spot in the center console too just to be sure, but I figure it wouldn't act this weird just for the fob and it would just say that the fob couldn't be detected.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
have you tried jump strating it just for the heck of it?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
222 Posts
It would say "Fob not detected" likely if there was an issue with the immobilizer (key detection) process. The fact that the dash is displaying gibberish when turning it on seems to indicate battery supply voltage issue or that something has lost its mind. Any modifications/tune applied to this car? Anything plugged into the ODB-II port that could be gumming up the works? Has anybody added any extra wires for a stereo or something? Check the boot under the carpets for water there too. I'm not 100% clear where the sunroof drains lines go and where water would end up if the drains got plugged. A guy I know had his drains get plugged in a Lancer and it flooded his trunk. The RS has some electrics back there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I drove my car to work and everything started up fine and was running perfect. I went outside to start it in the morning and the car won't start and gives me a lot of error messages on the dashboard. I'm getting power in the cab and my lights turn on, but my milage and trip just has dashes through them and it won't register the car is in the "ON" position, so I'm not able to read if there are any codes. The battery is perfect and I tested all the fuses and pulled the ignition starter relay to test it. There were some storms that night, so I'm wondering if lightning fried something. Any ideas?
Any chance you have turned on just the headlights to see if they are nice and bright?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts