Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday i got Mishimoto CAI installed by myself and now the car just feels sluggish.On WOT the boost builds up to 1bar and thats it. On old intake car would easily get past 1.3bar.

I did a couple of 0-60 runs and times were 5.8 and 5.6 seconds, on brand new PS4S tyres as well.

What did i miss?

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's a surprising result, are you confident there is a difference? Unless there is some air leak or you didn't reconnect a sensor correctly it's hard to imagine something happened on the install. Is it extraordinarily hot? New 'cold air' intake could be heat-soaked.

The easiest way to confirm your findings, which is annoying but not SO difficult because it's an intake, would be to put the stock one back on and see if performance returns.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Maybe the filter is over oiled and not flowing as much as before with the paper filter?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a surprising result, are you confident there is a difference? Unless there is some air leak or you didn't reconnect a sensor correctly it's hard to imagine something happened on the install. Is it extraordinarily hot? New 'cold air' intake could be heat-soaked.

The easiest way to confirm your findings, which is annoying but not SO difficult because it's an intake, would be to put the stock one back on and see if performance returns.
very confident car isnt pulling hard, might be car is chocking for air?

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Make sure everything is connected, sensor and all.

First time I heard adding a CAI made the car slow. It might now really make if faster, but not slower either.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
So yesterday i got Mishimoto CAI installed by myself and now the car just feels sluggish.On WOT the boost builds up to 1bar and thats it. On old intake car would easily get past 1.3bar.

I did a couple of 0-60 runs and times were 5.8 and 5.6 seconds, on brand new PS4S tyres as well.

What did i miss?
The boost indicator is an inferred reading like the oil pressure isn't it. The only thing could be you've not connected the PCV, vacuum lines or the sensor correctly. I'm sure you tightened the duct clamps ok.

Ciao

·
Registered
742 Posts
Why would that be needed Phil?
From Mishimoto site

• Direct fit for 2015+ Ford Focus RS
  • Dyno-proven maximum gains of up to 12 whp and 15 wtq on the stock tune
  • Designed to work with stock tune with no additional tuning required

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Why would that be needed Phil?
From Mishimoto site

• Direct fit for 2015+ Ford Focus RS
  • Dyno-proven maximum gains of up to 12 whp and 15 wtq on the stock tune
  • Designed to work with stock tune with no additional tuning required
Just saying all that stuff needs to be connected again and check he hasn't missed one or not got the connection done properly.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Sneaky ninja edit!
My reply is referring to your ORIGINAL post that is no longer there!!
Yes I was thinking Inter-cooler upgrade instead of CAI. Only had it up for a minute though before I realised my error:)

Ciao

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make sure everything is connected, sensor and all.

First time I heard adding a CAI made the car slow. It might now really make if faster, but not slower either.
So i checked all the connections, maybe this connection isnt in properly? thats one connection i struggled with. I cant get enough power to push it in, but it seems to be in , or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
So i checked all the connections, maybe this connection isnt in properly? thats one connection i struggled with. I cant get enough power to push it in, but it seems to be in , or not.
Here is what mine looks like, it does seem to be on a bit better

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shiv

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'd take the intake pipe off and attach that connection with more room to work. Then reinstall

Reactions: Shiv

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd take the intake pipe off and attach that connection with more room to work. Then reinstall

yours does look much better, i will try to get that in better and see if there is any improvement, but looks like that could be the issue.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Hopefully thats it, the only other thing I can think of is the sensor on the pipe, close to the airbox.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So I diconnected it and alas! The black o ring wasn’t sitting properly so the connection wasn’t all the way in. As I took the connection off the rubber ring fell off, it was broken. I connected it back without that ring and now the car does overboost now, goes past 1.3b to almost 1.5b. Now just gotta buy the new rubber ring and should be all good now.
Thanks for that photo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So called up Ford to find the O-ring that broke off, apparently you cannot buy that separately and you have to replace the whole oil separator unit.

Would anyone know the dimension of the black O-ring?

·
Registered
742 Posts
You can buy kits at Bunnings / Supershit with various sizes in them. Surely one of those would be correct size?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can buy kits at Bunnings / Supershit with various sizes in them. Surely one of those would be correct size?
I bought a kit at repco, it seems the issue I had before was not getting the ring in, the rubber sticks out . I will try a size down .

how important is to have this o ring?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts