Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the crappy Ford wheel nuts seem to have swollen a bit and my 19mm socket won't fit. I don't fancy using the 20mm as it will probably round off the head so what is the best alternative for removing them ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Happened to me as well, I tapped the 19mm on with a hammer and once it was off I threaded it partially back on to wiggle the socket off and tossed them in the trash. Bought 2 sets of lugs from Driven Products, black and chrome, have held up well to multiple tire removals.

Good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah they're trash and will deform even being gentle with them and only using hand tools. Buy some new ones because they will not be resusable, and beat a 19mm on there with a hammer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so if I hammer the 19mm socket on and get the nut off how do I get the nut out of the socket ? I guess I need to hammer something solid throught the socket hole against the nut but not sure how to hold the socket without damaging it.Seems like a super tight fit so partially threading back onot the car and waggling it is a bit scary !

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
After your nuts are free, hammer the socket off and hand remove it.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Ok, so if I hammer the 19mm socket on and get the nut off how do I get the nut out of the socket ? I guess I need to hammer something solid throught the socket hole against the nut but not sure how to hold the socket without damaging it.Seems like a super tight fit so partially threading back onot the car and waggling it is a bit scary !
⬆Ya, You shouldn’t have a problem, the outer shell is so malleable it will deform enough to free the socket which ever way you try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, last question. Seems like my sockets are silver CrV and not up to hammering etc. If I get a CrMo black impact socket will it fit my existing socket set stuff (assuming matching 1/2" drive) or are they only for power tools ?

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
You can use impact sockets on hand tools.

I would just get a regular tyre iron and use a dead blow mallet to fit it on the deformed nut and have at it.

Once it's on and I get it loosen, use the mallet to remove the tyre iron and hand remove the problematic nut.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are plenty of ways to get your nuts off, sites, women, or I mean different type of impact sockets will help.
First thing to do if you manage to get these is to throw them as far away as you can and replace with McGard or anything else really, because these swell over time.
Here is a great video. Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you want to get extra fancy you can get a special lug nut socket that has a “non marring” side on it that can help prevent scratches to your wheels. Might be worth looking into as they don’t always go on perfectly straight when hammering them on.

For what it’s worth I just used a non marring mallet on a regular socket to get mine off

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
As stated above, once you get the old nuts undone, thread it back on to the stud a couple of turns and wiggle the socket off.
Simple.

Reactions: braap and GmpaJimj

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Happened to me as well, I tapped the 19mm on with a hammer and once it was off I threaded it partially back on to wiggle the socket off and tossed them in the trash.
This.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds oddly familiar to the wonderful "bonding" experience I enjoyed to no end with the utterly miserable Ford lug nuts my RS came with. As stated above; I ended up hammering a 19mm socket onto the nuts, and removing them from the studs. Between the repeated beatings the nuts had taken from on/off cycles prior to my ownership; beating the socket onto them really had them stuck in; to the point screwing the nuts in the socket back onto the lugs a few threads and wiggling them loose DID NOT work.

As the socket was a 1/2" drive; I took a 6" 3/8 socket extension; ran it through the square 1/2" drive hole; holding onto the 19 mm socket with the mangled nut facing up and beating the **** out of the 3/8 extension on concrete until it forced the mangled nut out of the socket. Bit hard on the drive end of the 3/8 extension---obviously, any steel/metal rod of the correct length and diameter would work as a punch. Hope you don't have to resort to this method! Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Put some blue tape around the holes to also prevent scratching. I just replaced mine with Mcguard set. 2 of them I had to do the hammer on procedure. I used a breaker bar so I could get a nice 90 degree angle. Some regular tire irons have an angle to them that may make it harder.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts