Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a lifetime "take it to the shop" kinda guy but after a mudflap got damaged and needed to be replaced I couldn't bring myself to schedule the appt. I bought a quick jack, torque wrench, breaker bar, and some sockets and today was my day!

Several socket purchases later and I still can't get anything on. The 3/4 doesn't go on far enough and unless I use a hammer (instant regret) I can't do ****. Tried 6pt and 12pt (or was it 22pt?).

I understand the stock lug nuts are rubbish, and I plan on ordering some new ones. When they arrive, how should I go about swapping them? I understand 19mm is 2/1000 smaller than 3/4 (IIRC), should I try and find a 20mm socket? I just want to crack/break them all so I can lift the damn car and replace them, oh--and fix the damn mudflap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
5,586 Posts
Was your car taken to the shop before to do wheels/ mudflaps?
Maybe they did some damage using incorrect sockets to tighten it, causing head damage?

The 3/4 and 19mm should be very close.

Odd

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yupp, in the year I've had it it's been to the shop for seasonal swaps three times, mudflap install, a defective valve stem, my tuner (DynaPack dyno), and I think even a rotation. The 3/4 only feels seated on like 3/20 lug nuts....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
5,586 Posts
Yupp, in the year I've had it it's been to the shop for seasonal swaps three times, mudflap install, a defective valve stem, my tuner (DynaPack dyno), and I think even a rotation. The 3/4 only feels seated on like 3/20 lug nuts....

Yes,

Taking it the shop means they probably used a pneumatic impact wrench, which, with the wrong head means cactus on existing ones.
Time for new lugs and yes get a range of heads for the removal.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
The deep socket with a breaker bar should take those off.

Or an impact driver with the deep socket.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Tire shop employee here. The ford lug nuts have a very common issue of swelling. Also happens with jeeps and other American brands (Toyota also but much more rare). The ford lug nuts are 18mm, with a thin chrome stamped cover that’s about 0.5mm thick, so the total lug nut size is 19mm. With age and use they always swell up. The f150 uses a 21mm

We order in the shop a set of special 19.5mm and 21.5mm deep sockets for when this happens. Even then they often don’t fit. Your best bet is to take an old 19mm and hammer the ****er onto the lug nut and remove/replace it, or you can use a screw driver and try to remove the chrome stamped cover and use an 18mm socket to remove it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire shop employee here. The ford lug nuts have a very common issue of swelling. Also happens with jeeps and other American brands (Toyota also but much more rare). The ford lug nuts are 18mm, with a thin chrome stamped cover that’s about 0.5mm thick, so the total lug nut size is 19mm. With age and use they always swell up. The f150 uses a 21mm

We order in the shop a set of special 19.5mm and 21.5mm deep sockets for when this happens. Even then they often don’t fit. Your best bet is to take an old 19mm and hammer the ****er onto the lug nut and remove/replace it, or you can use a screw driver and try to remove the chrome stamped cover and use an 18mm socket to remove it
Good advice, thanks! So how do the shops continually service my wheels without issue? Are they just brute forcing with pneumatic and/or impact drivers?

Fast forward to future me, lug nuts arrive, and I'm ready to swap them. Should I do whatever is necessary to just crack/loosen them with the wheels on the ground? Then lift and remove completely?

I fear that I won't be able to remove the nut from the socket unless i can remove the nut completely and then hammer, spike the nut off the socket.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I can’t speak for other shops, but when we’re doing 65 work orders a day, probably half being 19mm x 5 lugs x 4 whedlsma car, you wear out sockets fairly fast, that means we have a few 19mm sockets that will fit properly over the swollen ones. Comes in handy to not throw them out.

But yeah, if you say 17 of 20 lugs are swollen, I’d consider your time versus the cost of taking it to a shop. They will have the tools and experience to do the job way faster than you with probably less risk to damage the rim. Our shop will even send people away to more well equipped shops when lugs are stripped or broken

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I heard there might be a recall for the lug nuts for the Fords, not just RS, any other Fords has this issue. Two of our C-Max got the lugs replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If using the stock lugs, I use a THIN WALL 19mm or 3/4" socket. If recently driven, I wait a bit for lugs to cool and swelling to decrease. Would also echo previous posters, and recommend buying a better set of lugs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dealership beat the hell out of my right front lug nuts when doing head gasket recall. They were over 200 ft-lbs and I could no longer get a 19mm (or 3/4") socket on them. They immediately gave me replacements.
Do not let anyone finish tightening with an impact, those torque limiters for impacts DO NOT work under most circumstances.

·
5,586 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts