Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Can the Focus RS be flat-towed (all wheels on the ground)?

11K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Chrisp 
#1 ·
We are looking for an AWD car the can be flat-towed (all wheels on the ground). We plan to tow this vehicle behind our RV.

Can the Focus RS AWD be flat-towed (all wheels on the ground) behind a RV?

#3 ·
I would think if it's in neutral you shouldn't have a problem. But if I was ever in your situation I would probably invest in one of those small car trailers that keeps all 4 wheels off the ground because flat towing essentially puts the same 1000 mile plus wear and tear on the car as driving it.

#4 ·
There is a tow chart on the Ford website (fellow RVer here and I know what a TOAD is) The Focus ST can't be towed flat and must be dolly towed. I don't know that information is out on the RS as of yet but with it being AWD a tow dolly is usually out of the question. Flat towing of AWD cars is usually the way to go but with the sophisticated AWD set up on the RS, you might need to trailer tow it.

Personally I think that a fine automobile like the RS should be trailer towed. I know the expense involved especially if it's an enclosed trailer, just saying if I had the money to burn, that's the way I'd go.

#5 ·
This is from the STI manual, so I would think the RS would be similar?

Manual Transmission:
All Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground on a trailer but towing an AWD vehicle must never be attempted with only two wheels on the ground or two wheels on a dolly.

STI, to tow: DCCD must be in manual mode, with the DCCD control dial set to the furthest rearward position (rolled toward rear seat).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.