Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is probably a 101 level question, but was hoping someone could give me a rundown of how offset works (preferably specific to the RS) as I am looking into getting a set of track wheels and tires. Going to go to 18”, but haven’t decided able width yet and honestly a little confused on it after some internet research. Appreciate the help!

Specifically, OZ Ultraleggeras, 18”, and tire rack says a 38mm offset. Keeping everything stock set up. Just want to make sure what I get I can just put on and off at the track and not worry about anything else. Tire still to be decided, but want to keep it stock for autocross and time trial class 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Lower the offset the more it will poke. The higher the offset the more it’s going to go towards the inside of the car. If you need fitment help let me know. I’ve become an expert for our cars lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what’s the offset range that would fit our cars? Lol the ones I’m looking at are 38mm

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lower the offset the more it will poke. The higher the offset the more it’s going to go towards the inside of the car. If you need fitment help let me know. I’ve become an expert for our cars lol

So what’s the offset range that would fit our cars? Lol the ones I’m looking at are 38mm

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Depends on the width of the wheels and what fitment you are going for tbh. A 9 wide vs a 9.5 wide with the same offset are going to fit different

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here is an easy offset comparison calculator.

As people have already mentioned, the lower the offset number, the more the wheel is heading away from the inside of the car. The stock wheels at 19x8 ET50 IIRC and you can go with at least 10-15mm less offset on an 8" wide wheel and still keep the tires inside the fender (so you don't have to worry about rubbing). I don't know what width the OZs you are looking at are.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

As people have already mentioned, the lower the offset number, the more the wheel is heading away from the inside of the car. The stock wheels at 19x8 ET50 IIRC and you can go with at least 10-15mm less offset on an 8" wide wheel and still keep the tires inside the fender (so you don't have to worry about rubbing). I don't know what width the OZs you are looking at are.
Are 18x8, 38mm

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

50 offset? Sorry the whole ET50 IIRC went over my head lol first time doing anything with tires

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So in theory if you went to a 40mm, your going to stick out 10 more and have 10 more room on the inside?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes exactly. If you are looking to upgrade wheels for actual cornering performance, I would recommend going wider than 8". 8.5 minimum, 9 or 9.5 even better so you can run wider tires. But if you are just looking for a winter wheel/tire setup, then disregard that.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes exactly. If you are looking to upgrade wheels for actual cornering performance, I would recommend going wider than 8". 8.5 minimum, 9 or 9.5 even better so you can run wider tires. But if you are just looking for a winter wheel/tire setup, then disregard that.
yeah I am looking for a a teddy setup. I have a truck I run during the winter.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
follow up to this I guess would be when I look at 8.5 (or 9) I notice most of them then go back to 19 inch rims.

would the 19x8.5 or the 18x8 be more suited for track use? know the wider would be better, he would the trade off the 19 make it not worth it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts