Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm working on this right now for my winter tires. Looking at Ford Focus/Escape 17 by 7 1/2 steel wheels and Toyo Extensia HP all season 225/45R17 tires. I bought a set of used ones with 85% tread as a test so I don't have too much invested if they don't work. They have a nice looking performance tread which you wouldn't think are M & S but that's how they are described. They have a fair 390 tread wear rating and are only $104 each at Walmart. They are the same diameter as the stock tires. There are a set of Wheelskin caps for the steel wheels to help mitigate the ugly factor for around $70.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lessons learned. Just finished our winter tire installation. Tried 17" Drag aluminum wheels first. They didn't clear the calipers. They may have with a 1/2" or larger spacer but that would have put the tire outside the wheel opening and splashed up the side of the car. Almost all aftermarket wheels have 40 to 45mm offset while the O.E.M. wheel has 50mm offset so aftermarket wheels are going to be outboard about 10mm more. This looks nicer but any further and the tire will be outside the wheel well. We then went with a 18" Drag wheel with 40mm offset. Fit with no issues, right at the edge of the wheel well. We used a P235/40R18 tire which has the same O.D. as the original P235/35R19 tires so no clearance issues. I think the 45 series would fit also. We want to run 36 PSI in the winter tires so we're putting up with the TPMS light currently. Exploring ways to turn it off. I believe Ford Escape 17" steel wheels may clear the calipers but we didn't try as we didn't want to accept the appearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts