Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from Ground Control, have there been any other brands or vendors who are carrying camber plate options for the RS?

As far as I know, GC offers 2 types of plates: 1 type for "stock-style" springs, which also includes lowering springs, and 1 for adjustable coilovers (which use a more narrow diameter spring). From what I understand, these 2 types are NOT interchangeable, which means if you plan to run lowering springs and camber plates, and then later decide to upgrade to coilovers, you'll need to source new plates. Please correct me if that is not accurate.

I also know that Pedders offers a camber adjustable top-hat with their coilovers, but I believe it's designed to work solely with that coilover. Since Pedders uses common-tech bodies, it may work on other brands which use the same bodies (I think this list includes Fortune Auto, and perhaps Feal?), but I don't believe it works on other brands, and am near positive that it does not work with stock-style springs.
@Whiteline released a new coilover system (MaxG) and their site indicates that top-hats are an option, but I cannot find them listed anywhere on their site.

Am I missing any offerings or brands? Of this list, it seems like the only option for those of us running lowering (or stock) springs is Ground Control. From what I understand, these do NOT increase ride height, but some increase in NVH is expected (duh). They max out to around 2.5-3.0* camber, depending on trimming the perch slightly to allow for the strut to "lean back" more.

Bonus question - for rear camber adjustment, is Massive the only brand offering camber arms?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
In theory you could swap out just the perches and change the GC stock spring plate over to a 60mm plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Aside from Ground Control, have there been any other brands or vendors who are carrying camber plate options for the RS?

As far as I know, GC offers 2 types of plates: 1 type for "stock-style" springs, which also includes lowering springs, and 1 for adjustable coilovers (which use a more narrow diameter spring). From what I understand, these 2 types are NOT interchangeable, which means if you plan to run lowering springs and camber plates, and then later decide to upgrade to coilovers, you'll need to source new plates. Please correct me if that is not accurate.

I also know that Pedders offers a camber adjustable top-hat with their coilovers, but I believe it's designed to work solely with that coilover. Since Pedders uses common-tech bodies, it may work on other brands which use the same bodies (I think this list includes Fortune Auto, and perhaps Feal?), but I don't believe it works on other brands, and am near positive that it does not work with stock-style springs.

@Whiteline released a new coilover system (MaxG) and their site indicates that top-hats are an option, but I cannot find them listed anywhere on their site.

Am I missing any offerings or brands? Of this list, it seems like the only option for those of us running lowering (or stock) springs is Ground Control. From what I understand, these do NOT increase ride height, but some increase in NVH is expected (duh). They max out to around 2.5-3.0* camber, depending on trimming the perch slightly to allow for the strut to "lean back" more.

Bonus question - for rear camber adjustment, is Massive the only brand offering camber arms?
Depending on how much rear camber you want, adding a set of rear adjustable toe bars will let you set camber using factory "cam" adjusters on the LCA and then adjust toe with the adjustable toe bars...cheap and easy install/setup. I have a 15mm rear drop with -1.4 deg rear camber and suspect I could easily dial in another -0.5 deg.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depending on how much rear camber you want, adding a set of rear adjustable toe bars will let you set camber using factory "cam" adjusters on the LCA and then adjust toe with the adjustable toe bars...cheap and easy install/setup. I have a 15mm rear drop with -1.4 deg rear camber and suspect I could easily dial in another -0.5 deg.
Hmm, good to know. I recall you mentioning that before, I think.

My end goal was ~2.7-3.0* front, and ~2.0* rear camber. Currently at ~1.6/1.3 empty, 1.7/1.4 with driver.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Reactions: Hoon Dog

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so it's basically GC or Vorshlag if someone is still on stock or stock-style springs? And the max amount of camber you can pull (due to the diameter of the stock-style springs) is ~2.3*?

Trying to decide if the 0.7* camber is enough to justify the change in gear. Also trying to decide if I will need to tackle the rear suspension, to increase camber back there from 1.3* to something closer to 1.8-2.0* to be more in line with the front.

Anyone have experience using camber arms, using both camber arms AND adjustable toe arms, or just using the adjustable toe arms as the "cheat" for some extra camber?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
OK so it's basically GC or Vorshlag if someone is still on stock or stock-style springs? And the max amount of camber you can pull (due to the diameter of the stock-style springs) is ~2.3*?

Trying to decide if the 0.7* camber is enough to justify the change in gear. Also trying to decide if I will need to tackle the rear suspension, to increase camber back there from 1.3* to something closer to 1.8-2.0* to be more in line with the front.

Anyone have experience using camber arms, using both camber arms AND adjustable toe arms, or just using the adjustable toe arms as the "cheat" for some extra camber?

Vorschlag will only work with coilover setups I believe I read when they first released them. You will be going with Ground Control if you want to retain stock/stock style springs.

Reactions: misterchonger

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vorschlag will only work with coilover setups I believe I read when they first released them. You will be going with Ground Control if you want to retain stock/stock style springs.
Oh, OK. I thought since they had options for spring perch size that it was accommodating the stock size (which I thought was 60mm?) but I may have misunderstood.

I'll drop a line to Donovan. Has anyone used their coilover conversion kit? It looks like those are smaller diameter springs, which would allow a bit more camber. Plus, being able to independently adjust height and corner balance the car, but still retain the OEM adjustable damper (for SCCA rules) would be cool. I mean, assuming they have spring rates which work with the car and OEM dampers, etc.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Oh, OK. I thought since they had options for spring perch size that it was accommodating the stock size (which I thought was 60mm?) but I may have misunderstood.

I'll drop a line to Donovan. Has anyone used their coilover conversion kit? It looks like those are smaller diameter springs, which would allow a bit more camber. Plus, being able to independently adjust height and corner balance the car, but still retain the OEM adjustable damper (for SCCA rules) would be cool. I mean, assuming they have spring rates which work with the car and OEM dampers, etc.
@MN_RS is correct about the Vorshlag setup. @chumpracerj is using the GC coilover conversion kit and running at least -3* up front with the bottom perch mod. Chump has also done a great job of documenting his process including spring rates and feedback.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got the whiteline system. They dont come with the top hat. I mostly just daily drive. Do you recommend getting a aftermarket tophat?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
I got the whiteline system. They dont come with the top hat. I mostly just daily drive. Do you recommend getting a aftermarket tophat?

I wouldn't in that case. You don't need the extra camber for street use and most aftermarket top hats with camber plates will raise NVH slightly.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wouldn't in that case. You don't need the extra camber for street use and most aftermarket top hats with camber plates will raise NVH slightly.
Whiteline reuses stock ones. Someone on facebook suggested it creates a horrible tire wear.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Whiteline reuses stock ones. Someone on facebook suggested it creates a horrible tire wear.

Not enough information to really comment on that other than, the alignment needs to be checked before pointing fingers. If the Whitelines are designed to re use the stock top hats, I doubt they would cause that issue. Whiteline has always been a quality product for me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not enough information to really comment on that other than, the alignment needs to be checked before pointing fingers. If the Whitelines are designed to re use the stock top hats, I doubt they would cause that issue. Whiteline has always been a quality product for me.
So you'd suggest rocking the whiteline and stock top hats for street driving?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Coilovers/camber plates don't cause horrible tire wear, bad alignments do ;)

So you'd suggest rocking the whiteline and stock top hats for street driving?
Yes, stock top hats for street use. Especially if you don't autox or track.
I wouldn't write off having camber plates too quickly. I've found that having -2 degrees of front camber and zeroing out the toe has greatly improved turn-in and my overall enjoyment of the car on the street (granted, I do track and do canyon runs on the weekends every once in a while). I have the ground control camber plates (coupled with Litchfield KWs) and mostly daily drive my car and don't notice any additional harshness. I would admit that maybe partially due to the spring/damper combo, so I'm not sure how the Whitelines will compare.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
In my limited experience on the RS dropping the front ride height on either lowering springs (in my case Mountune 5/8" drop) or coilovers will increase the front negative camber. On my car tge 5/8" drop added -0.3 degrees....so if you have more drop you'd probably gain a few tenths of front negative camber. My car is at -1.8 and -1.9 deg, which is fine for the street....if you track or autox an additional -0.5 would help, IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coilovers/camber plates don't cause horrible tire wear, bad alignments do ;)

I wouldn't write off having camber plates too quickly. I've found that having -2 degrees of front camber and zeroing out the toe has greatly improved turn-in and my overall enjoyment of the car on the street (granted, I do track and do canyon runs on the weekends every once in a while). I have the ground control camber plates (coupled with Litchfield KWs) and mostly daily drive my car and don't notice any additional harshness. I would admit that maybe partially due to the spring/damper combo, so I'm not sure how the Whitelines will compare.
I have the exact same set up, but the GC camber plates always manage to work themselves loose. They’ve developed a clunking noise over bumps/broken tarmac just a few hundred miles after torquing them to spec, and the last time they got loose my local shop used loctite but to no avail. Do you experience the same issues?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have the exact same set up, but the GC camber plates always manage to work themselves loose. They’ve developed a clunking noise over bumps/broken tarmac just a few hundred miles after torquing them to spec, and the last time they got loose my local shop used loctite but to no avail. Do you experience the same issues?
Thank you for posting that. I have GC camber plates and I started hearing a clunking sound when going over bumps with the steering wheel turned a good ways (backing out of my driveway). I've been debating whether it's worth the effort to remove the strut assembly and take a look. Your post has convinced me it is worth it. I just hope it's fixable.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Guys, I don't have an aftermarket suspension installed on my RS yet, but I have a plan. When I install the Vorshlag camber plates I will use Nord-Lock washers under the shock tower nuts. They will NEVER back off. I have used Nord-Lock washers on all rotating areas of my military truck (i.e. all 3 driveshafts), and they never budge. Nord-Lock washers aren't that expensive either.

You basically increase fastener torque by 10% to bind the Nord-Lock washer pair together. No amount of vibration will loosen the joint. Re-use forever. No matched pairs (use any 2 together). It's a no brainer.

Here's a video for reference:

1 - 20 of 156 Posts