Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've bought one car out of state before but it's been a while and it was a diesel so the rules are different. There was some talk about new cars not being exempt from the 6 year smog rule in CA, if you buy out of state. So I called the state compliance office to get a definitive answer, and they told me the following: manufacturers smog cars before getting sold in the state they're sold. So when you buy a new car the state has smog data on it and for the buyer it's a seamless transition. When you buy out of state though, before registering the vehicle, even though it's new you have to smog it so the state can attain this data and confirm your car's compliance. Once that initial smog check is done, your car is exempt for 6 years. I believe this to be true as I have a buddy I used to work with who bough a 2015 WRX in Colorado and did have to smog it when he brought it in, now the car is only one year old so he didn't have to smog it this year, but the jury is still out on whether he's exempt. The number I called is below, so if you guys wish to verify this information on your own and contribute to the thread: you're more than welcome to.

916-657-6795

I got the number from the following DMV webpage: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

·
Registered
115 Posts
So I've bought one car out of state before but it's been a while and it was a diesel so the rules are different. There was some talk about new cars not being exempt from the 6 year smog rule in CA, if you buy out of state. So I called the state compliance office to get a definitive answer, and they told me the following: manufacturers smog cars before getting sold in the state they're sold. So when you buy a new car the state has smog data on it and for the buyer it's a seamless transition. When you buy out of state though, before registering the vehicle, even though it's new you have to smog it so the state can attain this data and confirm your car's compliance. Once that initial smog check is done, your car is exempt for 6 years. I believe this to be true as I have a buddy I used to work with who bough a 2015 WRX in Colorado and did have to smog it when he brought it in, now the car is only one year old so he didn't have to smog it this year, but the jury is still out on whether he's exempt. The number I called is below, so if you guys wish to verify this information on your own and contribute to the thread: you're more than welcome to.

916-657-6795

I got the number from the following DMV webpage: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29
This is good news for those California guys looking for non-ADM options.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Great news actually.

Not as good as moving to a non Nazi state ... but still great news!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
This is exactly what I did with the MD dealerships. Kudos!

It's np. I'm happy to do it. If this one thread helps people to buy out of state, away from these California dealerships then I have stuck it back to them twice as hard.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
From the CA DMV Smog Page:

Smog Information

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

The first bold section above refers to smog vs. non-smog counties. For example, Amador County is a non-smog county, so if you live there you will never have to have a car smogged unless you first buy it as used, then it is called a "transfer smog".

The 2nd bold section - if you live in a smog county, expect CA to want (get) some money from you every year :) Even though you are doing your part by driving a new, clean car.

As I've posted in other threads, bringing in a new Car to CA requires the "93N" code (FEDERAL EMISSIONS STATE DEALER ORDER FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS STATES REGISTRATION) in addition to the regular "425" code "50-STATE EMISSIONS SYSTEM".

Otherwise you would not be able to register it until it had >7500 miles on it. Plan on driving around outside the CA border frantically for a few weeks as it must be registered inside the first 30 days after purchase. :p

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
thats really interesting !

916-657-6795

that would be super amazing if true. it sucks having the CARB nazis smog every 2 years. I effin hate it. thats why my balt ss never got serious mods cause of this BS. just didnt want to deal with the every 2 year bs. It is easier now as I hear its only an OBD scan now. but they prob still do a VISUAL ? guessing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm going based on what the compliance officer told me and I even reiterated "so my car will not need a smog check for 6 years post the initial one right" and she replied "yes as long as you get it smog checked initially." Someone else should call and confirm, there was no wait for me and they picked up rather fast.

·
Registered
189 Posts
From the CA DMV Smog Page:

Smog Information

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

The first bold section above refers to smog vs. non-smog counties. For example, Amador County is a non-smog county, so if you live there you will never have to have a car smogged unless you first buy it as used, then it is called a "transfer smog".

The 2nd bold section - if you live in a smog county, expect CA to want (get) some money from you every year :) Even though you are doing your part by driving a new, clean car.

As I've posted in other threads, bringing in a new Car to CA requires the "93N" code (FEDERAL EMISSIONS STATE DEALER ORDER FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS STATES REGISTRATION) in addition to the regular "425" code "50-STATE EMISSIONS SYSTEM".

Otherwise you would not be able to register it until it had >7500 miles on it. Plan on driving around outside the CA border frantically for a few weeks as it must be registered inside the first 30 days after purchase. :p

Jim
Hey DeltaT,

I am having my Focus RS order placed next week from an out-of-state dealer in OR. In addition to the 425 code, is the 93N code shown on your VOC? I browsed the VOC pictures thread and didn't see any; only the 425 "50 STATE EMISS" code.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
No it is not, but my dealer spoke with the dealer rep about it and tried the order 2 different ways, on one he was able to see it but it didn't print. That's the one he used. I could ask him to explain it via email so I could post the process.

Jim

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
See my latest response in the "Post pictures of your VOC and your DORA" thread for an order picture showing a Non-Calif dealer ordering a CA car.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts