Ford Focus RS Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
It may take longer than that - consider a person that knows nothing about cars that buys a used car that has been tuned (unbeknownst to them). That's going to be a problem that won't rear its head right away.

But yeah, it will eventually simma down.
In California, when you buy a car private party or dealer, the selling party must smog the car before they sell it to you. Some private parties will say "car sold as is", so no smog check prior. I would think now buyers will be more adamant for a smog check now.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Pennsylvania uses area of population. Since all of our cities, except Erie (a little big town), and Scranton, are in the south, the north has jungle rules when it comes to smog. The only requirement for me is, no exhaust leak, and a gas cap.
Fail....
E096CCED-4887-4CE6-86AA-483894E0A766.jpeg

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Just don't start a light close to that molotov cocktail!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Sigh.....with emissions, as Cali goes, so goes OR & WA, & eventually the rest of the U.S. I've done a lot of reading about this recently & have a couple of thoughts.

From what I understand, the original intent was targeted at big diesels "rolling coal". Yes I agree with the CARB certification BS, but the original intent here (as I understand it) is something I can get behind. Unfortunately that makes it to where we can't have nice things.

The 2nd thing is that testing the emissions at the pipe doesn't reflect emissions that the car will put out under real world conditions. Rolling coal is a good example. So as much as we'd like a simple solution to the problem, that isn't it. Now if there were a device that we could put on the car & use to measure what came out of the tailpipe as we drive around, that could be pretty cool. But, that would probably make too much sense.

How this is going to shake out is anyone's guess. If I had to bet, it won't be as bad as some of us think, & eventually there may be some way through the system for people who have a non-CARB tune but have still complied with emissions, such as @BigFatFlip earlier in the thread. It will likely depend on how much latitude the referee has. ???
So isn't the right answer a rolling road/dyno to capture actual emissions under load?

This just reeks of laziness, and since it only affects "idiot teenagers with those coffee can exhausts" it will remain in place despite being lazy and ineffective.

I'm from Canada, I have no horse in this race. I just feel bad for my RS and auto enthusiast brothers and sisters down there. This car truly comes alive with a tune.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
So isn't the right answer a rolling road/dyno to capture actual emissions under load?

This just reeks of laziness, and since it only affects "idiot teenagers with those coffee can exhausts" it will remain in place despite being lazy and ineffective.

I'm from Canada, I have no horse in this race. I just feel bad for my RS and auto enthusiast brothers and sisters down there. This car truly comes alive with a tune.
They'll have to pry my tune from my warm, girly hands!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

It gets worse. I know guys who used to do engine swaps when it came time to see the SMOG man.

Emissions dynos create their own problems. Ask VAG, they programmed their defeat devices to detect when they were on a dyno to run clean during emissions testing.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Lol, I get way better gas mileage with a tune.

Honestly, if India and China keep polluting at the rate they are, we are doomed. All the breeders' souless hybrid genetic replicants have no future.

These people swatting at gnats while hyenas eat their legs off.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Lol, I get way better gas mileage with a tune.

Honestly, if India and China keep polluting at the rate they are, we are doomed. All the breeders' souless hybrid genetic replicants have no future.

These people swatting at gnats while hyenas eat their legs off.

The US is a bigger polluter than India. Much bigger.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
China is the biggest CO2 emitter by far. More than double the US.
Thats not the only thing we can blame on the bloody Chinese......

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, China more or less emits double. But I was speaking of India (1/2x US). These are also countries with populations 4x the US, and they don't pollute 4x more.

Also somehow the implication is because they're a bigger polluter than the US, the US has no reason to reduce emissions?

@JamoRS I'm always curious how the Aussies think of Chinamen; are there more of us there than the US?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yes, China more or less emits double. But I was speaking of India (1/2x US). These are also countries with populations 4x the US, and they don't pollute 4x more.

Also somehow the implication is because they're a bigger polluter than the US, the US has no reason to reduce emissions?

@JamoRS I'm always curious how the Aussies think of Chinamen; are there more of us there than the US?
Not sure mate, never been to the US.
But they are pretty thick on the ground in some areas over here!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
AMERICA F*#K YEAH!

• Haha
Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
348 Posts
The EPA has armed agents? Why?!

I don't even think the ATF should be armed when they enforce tax laws (well used to enforce tax laws... now I'm not sure what their purpose is). But either of those agencies shouldn't be armed and should require assistance from the local law enforcement or FBI... if it really is warranted. In other words, paper pushing agencies should not be armed enforcers.

edit: after reading more of that article, I'm apparently not the only one that can't understand why they're armed...
“I think it’s insane that over 40 executive branch agencies have police forces. The EPA shouldn’t be able to raid anything or anybody,” Rep. Thomas Massie, a Kentucky Republican, and co-sponsor of the RPM Act, told the Washington Examiner.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I go by a per capita rating as it is more balanced since the more people you have in a country the more you are likely to produce. By that the US is more than 2 times worse than China, but we are still only 4th but not by a huge margin. Saudi Arabia is the worse, then Kazakhstan and even Australia is worse than the US. At least as of 2018.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts