@Randy , any insight on this?

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
The fascist People's Republic of California is now failing cars for having a modified tune:

Basically, the map files in your ECU have a number called a "checksum" which changes whenever the contents of the file change. The state has been reading these numbers for years and developed a database of valid checksums. OBD calls this the "calibration verification number".

I know lots of you guys run tunes, so now there's another headache to deal with.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
The fascist People's Republic of California is now failing cars for having a modified tune:

Basically, the map files in your ECU have a number called a "checksum" which changes whenever the contents of the file change. The state has been reading these numbers for years and developed a database of valid checksums. OBD calls this the "calibration verification number".

I know lots of you guys run tunes, so now there's another headache to deal with.
Yup... Being discussed here: CA SMOG Now Checking for ECU Flash? Off to the State Ref?!

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok, this is a bit nefarious, but OBD-II is a simple protocol. I've fiddled with it using a microcontroller back in the day, and was able to both spoof a car, and read from a real car. It would be entirely possible to make a little box which fixes the "cvn", but this would be so illegal that you'd get in real trouble for selling it. You pass through most everything, and fix up the CVN, however, we don't know how the CVN is validated, so maybe fixing it up also means fixing up a whole bunch of other stuff for consistency.

I've always kept my cars smog legal in CA, because I don't want to pollute as our air is bad enough, however, running a tune doesn't mean that you pollute more - with better sensors, wide-band O2, etc, you can even pollute less in some circumstances. Why not just require a certain level of emissions, and forget how it's achieved. Oh, that's right, CA makes a lot of money off CARB certifications.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
If these rules were actually about emissions I'm sure nobody would bat an eye, but we all know this has nothing to do with emissions anymore. The current CARB is just graft wrapped in eco-justice to make it palatable.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I've always kept my cars smog legal in CA, because I don't want to pollute as our air is bad enough, however, running a tune doesn't mean that you pollute more - with better sensors, wide-band O2, etc, you can even pollute less in some circumstances. Why not just require a certain level of emissions, and forget how it's achieved. Oh, that's right, CA makes a lot of money off CARB certifications.
^This! I share the same sentiment of polluting less. It really annoys me that even though I went thru all the trouble of keeping all my emissions stuff in place, the fact that I have a tune automatically makes me "out of compliance"?! There should be an option to do the "sniffer" test for tuned cars to check the actual output instead of laying a huge "blanket" of blame...

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
^This! I share the same sentiment of polluting less. It really annoys me that even though I went thru all the trouble of keeping all my emissions stuff in place, the fact that I have a tune automatically makes me "out of compliance"?! There should be an option to do the "sniffer" test for tuned cars to check the actual output instead of laying a huge "blanket" of blame...
Exactly! Things like the fact that catch cans can automatically fail you is downright stupid and infuriating. You're literally burning less oil through combustion! Makes no sense whatsoever that the one thing they don't test anymore is WHAT'S ACTUALLY COMING OUT OF THE TAILPIPE!!! You know... what's actually making it's way into the air...

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
As long as you don't have an aftermarket wastegate or high E mix tunes, you can get away with flashing the Stage 1 (including air filter), Anti Theft, and Valet tune from the Cobb AP. Those tunes have their own CARB EO#

I don't agree with it, but makes things much easier when the time to get a smog check comes.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
As long as you don't have an aftermarket wastegate or high E mix tunes, you can get away with flashing the Stage 1 (including air filter), Anti Theft, and Valet tune from the Cobb AP. Those tunes have their own CARB EO#

I don't agree with it, but makes things much easier when the time to get a smog check comes.
This is what I'm planning to do. Although, I may need to go to my "special place" because of the catch cans anyways... I'm not about to uninstall and reinstall them just for a smog test...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry to hear that! In all fairness; CA has a pretty good claim on being the birthplace of hot rodding fer Cripes sake! :confused: What a sad state of affairs today!

On a lighter note; as our transition to a "more organized, directed, and socially & ecologically conscious" society continues; as the newly promoted People's Kommissar for Palm Trees, Power Lines, and Intellectual Redirection; I will ensure all of you receive light duty assignments at the reeducation camp .................................o_O eeeeeeeerrrrrr I mean; Center for Social Transport Reorientation. :devilish:

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Sigh.....with emissions, as Cali goes, so goes OR & WA, & eventually the rest of the U.S. I've done a lot of reading about this recently & have a couple of thoughts.

From what I understand, the original intent was targeted at big diesels "rolling coal". Yes I agree with the CARB certification BS, but the original intent here (as I understand it) is something I can get behind. Unfortunately that makes it to where we can't have nice things.

The 2nd thing is that testing the emissions at the pipe doesn't reflect emissions that the car will put out under real world conditions. Rolling coal is a good example. So as much as we'd like a simple solution to the problem, that isn't it. Now if there were a device that we could put on the car & use to measure what came out of the tailpipe as we drive around, that could be pretty cool. But, that would probably make too much sense.

How this is going to shake out is anyone's guess. If I had to bet, it won't be as bad as some of us think, & eventually there may be some way through the system for people who have a non-CARB tune but have still complied with emissions, such as @BigFatFlip earlier in the thread. It will likely depend on how much latitude the referee has. ???

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Been sent to the States ref several times in my younger years. there was a point they knew me by my first name 😭.

Rule of thumb when I go there are:

• If you have CARB approved items installed on your car, have the CARB sticker affix on your engine bay and have all the paper work that you can prove it should be there. They will cross reference the CARB OE number to the database, but I tell you that applicable number coverage does change.
  • If you have non CARB approved parts, better uninstall it.
  • The engine bay better look as OE as possible.
I give it a month for some stuff to settle down about this new rule.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
It may take longer than that - consider a person that knows nothing about cars that buys a used car that has been tuned (unbeknownst to them). That's going to be a problem that won't rear its head right away.

But yeah, it will eventually simma down.

·
Registered
2018 RS, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
177 Posts
My plan is simple: reflash to stock before and reload tune after. But the tune is my only mod. Tune+ 93.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
348 Posts
Isn't there an east coast state that's been checking checksums for a long time? I thought I heard about it around 2005. Back then hearing of that, plus hearing of an inbound OBDIII that would automatically report you if you got a CEL, made me very concerned for the future.

But the future isn't all too bad... the RS finally came to the US and it doesn't even have EGR!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts