Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original post: Referred to state referee at Smog check

Technical Post: emission state inspection cal id - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Last Post on the thread:

WTH! Found my "very stock" X MR has to visit referee when I was in for smog. It looks like they have a crack down campaign on tuned ecu. I called in and they made me a "phone call" appointment first. They sent me a PDF document basically saying that they think my ecu is modified (copied and pasted below). Very sh!tty. It looks like the future of our tuning cars in California will be gone soon. Just a special downpipe with tuned for 91 and e85. My options are either (1) put back the downpipe and flash the oem tune back (2) sell the car to another out of state enthusiasm. The car is well taken care of and clean, hate to let it go. Below is the text content from the ref PDF email:

The software in your vehicle’s engine management computer doesn’t match what the vehicle manufacturer produced. If it has modified programing, it is likely due to the computer being flashed with an illegal software program. Once an illegal flash has been programmed into a vehicle computer, restoring the correct flash can be difficult and complicated. Some flashes can also modify or damage the programming on other modules in the vehicle, such as ABS or Air bag control modules. If that is the case, these modules may need to be replaced or reprogrammed. In some cases, the only way to correct the problem is to purchase a new computer and have the dealer install the correct flash.
FOR SUBMITTING PROOF OF REPAIRS/CORRECTIONS TO THE REFEREE:
BY FAX: 916-244-2629
BY EMAIL: [email protected]
Please add your name, telephone number, license plate number and allow up to 3 business days to be processed and contacted by phone.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I should just switch to Montana plates now...

I guess it's time for me to consider moving back to Minnesota in 2026 (or when I get referred to the State REF).

In 2035 We can't buy any new combustible engine powered vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts

Technical Post: emission state inspection cal id - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Last Post on the thread:

WTH! Found my "very stock" X MR has to visit referee when I was in for smog. It looks like they have a crack down campaign on tuned ecu. I called in and they made me a "phone call" appointment first. They sent me a PDF document basically saying that they think my ecu is modified (copied and pasted below). Very sh!tty. It looks like the future of our tuning cars in California will be gone soon. Just a special downpipe with tuned for 91 and e85. My options are either (1) put back the downpipe and flash the oem tune back (2) sell the car to another out of state enthusiasm. The car is well taken care of and clean, hate to let it go. Below is the text content from the ref PDF email:

The software in your vehicle’s engine management computer doesn’t match what the vehicle manufacturer produced. If it has modified programing, it is likely due to the computer being flashed with an illegal software program. Once an illegal flash has been programmed into a vehicle computer, restoring the correct flash can be difficult and complicated. Some flashes can also modify or damage the programming on other modules in the vehicle, such as ABS or Air bag control modules. If that is the case, these modules may need to be replaced or reprogrammed. In some cases, the only way to correct the problem is to purchase a new computer and have the dealer install the correct flash.
Please add your name, telephone number, license plate number and allow up to 3 business days to be processed and contacted by phone.
Good ol' CA. Trying to get that revenue under the guise of safety. Sounds like you should just be able to flash it back to stock before your smog check? I was gonna do that regardless even though I "got a guy."

Reactions: Randy

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
I guess it's time for me to consider moving back to Minnesota in 2026 (or when I get referred to the State REF).

In 2035 We can't buy any new combustible engine powered vehicle.
Yup! Enjoy 'em while you can my CA peeps! How many years before we have to smog a new car here in CA? Is it 8?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its 8 yrs from the new purchase.

I had my old Evo X pass smog with a tune before.

But I guess depending on what ECU flash you use the CA ID on the ECU gets over written and does not revert back when you flash it back to stock.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup! Enjoy 'em while you can my CA peeps! How many years before we have to smog a new car here in CA? Is it 8?

Also depending on what happens in Nov, I might move to CA....... the "We The North" CA!

😁🤣

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
It's been a while since I've dealt with SMOG rules in CA, but as a previous owner of a "gross polluter" I had to learn a few things. Below is a summary of the new guidance, it seems that the SMOG people were actually working on ways to make things more difficult for us during the COVID shutdowns. "The vehicle's OBD system data does not match the OEM or a CARB exempted OBD software configuration" will cause an automatic fail.

If I was a SMOG nazi, I would scrutinize popular tuner cars at a higher rate than minivans for sure. If CARB is using checksums to validate ECU programming, then an automated check would be relatively trivial to do.

For those affected by this, think about getting a pre-test but make sure that it's actually offline and not pushing info to the state's computer systems. Hopefully it gives you some inkling as to whether you'll fail or not.

BTW, don't bother with the M380 (CARB approved) unless you're planning to leave it that way. You can't remove it with the mTune handset, you have to go to a Ford dealer to flash back to stock.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I see idiocy is contagious.
The things I needed to do to get all the mods registered in my papers were super retarded.
I had to add a second silencer on my Remus exhaust because :

1. The RS comes with 2 silencers from factory
2. It was too loud for the birds
3. I had to clean and isolate the whole thing because it had issues with emissions.
4. Had to remove my tune as this caused a problem with the machine checking my exhaust.

My awesome metallic sound from remus is gone. The car has a fart sound which is pretty much the same at all revs.
The second silencer adds a crappy tonal resonance to the main Remus one making my exhaust perform like something I found on the bottom of the ocean.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts

Last Post on the thread:

Your state is turning into....Commiefornia
edit: it’s an irony, your state romanized cars in the late 50s / 60s and started the hot rod culture. Now...not so much.
On the other hand, breathing has become a habit....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I see idiocy is contagious.
The things I needed to do to get all the mods registered in my papers were super retarded.
I had to add a second silencer on my Remus exhaust because :

1. The RS comes with 2 silencers from factory
2. It was too loud for the birds
3. I had to clean and isolate the whole thing because it had issues with emissions.
4. Had to remove my tune as this caused a problem with the machine checking my exhaust.

My awesome metallic sound from remus is gone. The car has a fart sound which is pretty much the same at all revs.
The second silencer adds a crappy tonal resonance to the main Remus one making my exhaust perform like something I found on the bottom of the ocean.
Sounds like you need to modify your second resonator by hollowing it out or cutting it open to make it straight piped. If you cut open the top for the mod, nobody will be the wiser. That or make an easily swappable section, just something to pass the visual check.

For the tune, think about an emissions map slot if you're using a COBB device so you don't have to worry about reflashing.

Easy-peasy unless the emissions guy has to do a deep dive like they do in California.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been a while since I've dealt with SMOG rules in CA, but as a previous owner of a "gross polluter" I had to learn a few things. Below is a summary of the new guidance, it seems that the SMOG people were actually working on ways to make things more difficult for us during the COVID shutdowns. "The vehicle's OBD system data does not match the OEM or a CARB exempted OBD software configuration" will cause an automatic fail.

If I was a SMOG nazi, I would scrutinize popular tuner cars at a higher rate than minivans for sure. If CARB is using checksums to validate ECU programming, then an automated check would be relatively trivial to do.

For those affected by this, think about getting a pre-test but make sure that it's actually offline and not pushing info to the state's computer systems. Hopefully it gives you some inkling as to whether you'll fail or not.

BTW, don't bother with the M380 (CARB approved) unless you're planning to leave it that way. You can't remove it with the mTune handset, you have to go to a Ford dealer to flash back to stock.

Wow, I did not know about the M380 that you can't remove it. I though the only issue with that was was you can only use that tune and cannot do a custom tune. But you are saying you can't even flash it back to stock?!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Wow, I did not know about the M380 that you can't remove it. I though the only issue with that was was you can only use that tune and cannot do a custom tune. But you are saying you can't even flash it back to stock?!
Correct. Mountune didn't make this very clear (anywhere?) in their documentation that this was the case. Not that it bothers me, I always intended to stay CARB legal (minus the UK V2 hard pipe, but you can't see it) but it would have been nice to know up front.

Someone on here got the FPM375 tune and had issues later installing a COBB tune, IIRC he had to get his ECU reflashed by a dealer first. The FPM375 and M380 tunes are pretty much the same (even same CARB number), so it makes sense that he had issues. Another indicator is that 380 PS (MT's claimed power output of the kit) is 374.65 hp, which is what Ford claims (375hp) in their kit if my memory serves me.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phil, so you are running the M380? Did they give a CARB sticker for the tune. Also did you get a sticker for the FMIC?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Phil, so you are running the M380? Did they give a CARB sticker for the tune. Also did you get a sticker for the FMIC?
Yup. I didn't bother with the sticker, I just have the EO handy. D-727-3 for the M380 and D-727-4 for the IC+hoses+pipe.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have posted the EO posted on the CARB thread. I was curious if ever they issued stickers for these.

Hopefully @Randy tunes does doesn't affect/change the CA ID on the ECU. Or would that be Cobb's AP.

I used to pass smog the AP on my Evo IX and X.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Started yesterday:

California Starts Cracking Down on Non-Approved ECU Tunes Today. Here’s Why (msn.com)

Your FAQs Answered on California's ECU Tuning Policy | The Drive

"According to CBAR, during a smog check, the vehicle is hooked up to a computer via its OBD-II port and data pulled via the protocol’s Mode $09. This mode, which has the friendly name “Request Vehicle Information,” pulls data like the VIN, ECU calibration info, and performance counters.

The test will then read the Calibration Verification Number (CVN) and Calibration Identification (Cal ID) stored in the vehicle’s ECU to determine if a software modification has occurred.

The CVN acts as a checksum, or thumbprint, of the ECU’s software. This is a computed number based on the parameters within ECU’s programming. When the parameters are changed via a software modification, the CVN will also change. A manufacturer is typically responsible for the method used to determine this checksum, however, simply loading a new software configuration will cause this checksum to change."

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Sucks to be you guys!!

Reactions: morbid
1 - 20 of 59 Posts