Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CA owners... 1199 program?

Hello my fellow Californians,

I am wondering if any of you have plans to join the 1199 program, have previous experience with the program, or just want to voice thoughts/opinions on whether or not it's worth it and if it actually merits more leeway from highway patrol.

I'm undecided, but leaning towards joining.

EDIT: lol, 1199 program, not 1099.. tax time got me all screwy with numbers!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hello my fellow Californians,

I am wondering if any of you have plans to join the 1099 program, have previous experience with the program, or just want to voice thoughts/opinions on whether or not it's worth it and if it actually merits more leeway from highway patrol.

I'm undecided, but leaning towards joining.
Enlighten me. What's the 1099 program?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my apologies, just updated/edited my OP. Its actually the 1199 program.

Have you ever noticed on high end cars you'll often see a license plate surround that says, MEMBER 1199 Program (like this... Mercedes-SL500-11-99-license-plate-frame.jpg )

It is a charitable program that helps support CHP officers and their families. https://chp11-99.org/membership

It is rumored to be a get out of tickets free card, or at least a "hey officer, please consider while you ponder writing me up that I donated money to help support your job and your family".

I know several CHP officers, and while I haven't asked any of them flat out about it, I think its a good charitable donation whether or not the rumors are true.

Here is another article that discusses the rumor aspect... http://priceonomics.com/can-you-buy-a-license-to-speed/

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Ahh! That makes more sense lol. Just checked the pricing of membership - OUCH. Where can I buy JUST the license plate frame? :)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
lol, yeah being an actual member with a card to show proof costs pretty big, but you can probably find the plate surround knock offs on eBay
I wouldn't do that though - I'd feel too dirty. I had a legit 'get out of jail free' card (A Sheriff's business card) that I used quite a few times for speeding tickets. It eventually got taken away lol.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Have never contemplated joining. $400 for a V1 is a lot cheaper than $2500 for a 11-99 ID ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
are you gonna put a Valentine unit in the RS? stealth style?
V1 hardwired into my current daily. Going to pull it, send it in for an update, and then setup the RS hardwired, too.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hell no! $2,500 +$1,000 for spouse minimum?

We as humans are the only creatures that limit our speed ... the birds and the bees don't.

We are naturally selecting for any idiot which is why we have so much traffic.

And it's only going to get worse with all these baby boomers going senile. 5 of them for every Gen X, Y or Zer ...

CHP needs to go the way of the Do Do ... I've been taxed by them and the police more than any criminal every has stolen anything from me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
just gotta find good, twisty, isolated roads. and i definitely use my radar detector all the time. i'm more worried about them giving me a ticket for no front plate.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I had a similar thing when I lived in San Diego. It was called PORAC and you got a little sticker with a helicopter on it. Think you had to know someone who was a cop. Never once got pulled over by SDPD in my STI and their DRAG program is pretty notorious for pulling over and citing modified cars.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
just gotta find good, twisty, isolated roads. and i definitely use my radar detector all the time. i'm more worried about them giving me a ticket for no front plate.
At least that is just a $5.00 fix it ticket... Pop it on via a front tow hitch mount and take it for inspection and its wiped from your record. Just the hassle of going to the station I suppose.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
$5? Try $30 up here. Plus, if you can't find a cop out and about to sign it off, you need to go to the station and PAY them like $13 to come out and sign it off.

Mind you, $45 is still nothing, but I'd much rather only have to pay $5 =P

·
Registered
78 Posts
$45 still not that bad. but if you're running around the Snake on a busy sunday, or driving through angeles crest (for you socal ppl) yah the CHP will find any reason to pull you over. i was at the snake once and a miata did a really nice, controlled slide around a corner, and barely and i do mean barely hit the double yellow. got lit up.

for spirited driving i do have nice, isolated roads that get rarely traveled on and even then i'm on them when traffic is super light (early or late). one of the best drives i remember was x-mas morning. dad and i woke up super early, and just ripped it up to big bear in my s2000. no amount of $ could ever replace that. such a perfect day with the old man.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
$5? Try $30 up here. Plus, if you can't find a cop out and about to sign it off, you need to go to the station and PAY them like $13 to come out and sign it off.

Mind you, $45 is still nothing, but I'd much rather only have to pay $5 =P
Well... In fairness, the last time I got one was years ago - it was $5 then... Who knows how much now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i like the idea of 1199 program but can we just have a bumper sticker or custom vinyl wrap saying that we support our local officers and highway patrol men and women...sort of like support our troops??

just a thought

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
i like the idea of 1199 program but can we just have a bumper sticker or custom vinyl wrap saying that we support our local officers and highway patrol men and women...sort of like support our troops??

just a thought
There's no law that says you cant, so sure!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm an ex-police officer and all kinds of people have stickers, tags and several other items that make them think just cause they have that it will get you out of a ticket. It's up to officer discretion, I pulled over a woman one time with a PBA ( police Benevolent Association ) sticker and she advised me immediately that she was a member. I then returned to her vehicle with a ticket and told her how much I appreciated her donations but that doesn't give her the right to go 20mph over the posted speed limit. If you guys and gals only knew how many times I encountered This on a daily basis. Not everyone deserves a ticket and not everyone deserves to get out of one either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts