Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a an order in CA but was wondering how much of a pain it is to "import" the car from out of state. I'm still hoping (long shot I know) for an MRSP order but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go out of state for it. I don't expect CA to make that process easy or cheap. i.e. It might cost just as much as the fairly small ADM the dealer is asking for....

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is very easy, I am from California and live right on the Oregon border. I was looking for a particualar BMW a few months back and there was one in LA and one in Medford, only a couple hour drive vs 12. All current generation cars are built to be 50 state compliant, meaning that a dealership or manufacturer can move inventory around easily without having to worry about a specific state. Some people make a big deal about need to check a certain box, but that make zero difference in reality, the car is 50 state compliant regardless. In my case, I picked up the car, they give you a form that states you must register the vehicle within 30 days. I set an appointment for DMV, walked in with form and sales contract, they walked out and inspected the vin, I the paid tax and license and walked out with plates and tags. It took me making a trip to DMV, which a Ca dealer would have done fore me, so slightly more effort, zero extra cost. Get a car where you get the best deal, the end.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks thats great info. How does the tax work? Do you pay in both states then claim back in the original?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks thats great info. How does the tax work? Do you pay in both states then claim back in the original?
No, you provide them with the address where you will be registering the car (must show proof of residency, i.e a drivers license etc.), if it is out of state you pay the sales tax where you register the car. Some states have a processing fee you will still have to pay, but it is usualy less than $100. Many dealers will also help you drop ship the car. My car is coming out of state (CO dealer) and being drop shipped to my local dealer (extra $250 fee). In the end $250 was way better then the 5k ADM my dealer wanted lol.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I researched this and made sure my RS (ordered in Pennsylvania, bound for CA) had the dealer order form check box marked for "Non-Calif order for Calif reg", noted in the Red circle:

My Focus RS Order Picture1 with Calif Order Highlighted.jpg

Perhaps it is a bit more relaxed a process if you are purchasing right across the border in another state AND that state has the same emissions standards as CA, but CA regs seemed pretty clear that they want that CA-Certification. It seems like Ford recognizes that there is something there, as why provide a special code on the order for cases like this? Do you really want to take a chance on the possibility that you will not be allowed to register your car until it has 7500 or greater miles on it?

Here's the page from the RS Order Guide, with the code circled in Red:

Focus RS Order Guide Emissions with Highlight.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
I researched this and made sure my RS (ordered in Pennsylvania, bound for CA) had the dealer order form check box marked for "Non-Calif order for Calif reg", noted in the Red circle:

View attachment 3436

Perhaps it is a bit more relaxed a process if you are purchasing right across the border in another state AND that state has the same emissions standards as CA, but CA regs seemed pretty clear that they want that CA-Certification. It seems like Ford recognizes that there is something there, as why provide a special code on the order for cases like this? Do you really want to take a chance on the possibility that you will not be allowed to register your car until it has 7500 or greater miles on it?

Here's the page from the RS Order Guide, with the code circled in Red:

View attachment 3439

Jim
If you are making a special order its no problem to have them check the option code, however it is not required for registration bu the state of California. So, for instance, if you found a car already ordered or sitting on an out of state dealers lot, it is no problem to register in California. In the past Califorina used to be much stricter then other states and by a large margin, it was pretty much ONLY Ca that had those standards. So, manufacturers had a Ca option because it was cheaper to make changes to a few cars that would go to the state then than changes to whole fleet. Back in the day it was really expensive to bring a car to Ca because it could require secondary cats, new ecu maps, etc. However, that isnt the case any more, most states have adopted the stricter Ca protocols, which means it is now cheaper for the manufacturer to make the entire fleet meet that standard. Thus, any car that Ford imports to the US already meets the Ca standard (also required by all the Ca emission states) because they only bring in one model. Even if you dont have that option on your paper work DMV is going to run your VIN to ensure emmisions conpliance, and since all models have the same emmisions package it makes zero difference.

So, if you order and want to check the box awesome, but in reality it will make no difference at time of registration in Ca. They want your taxes and fees lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Rbernard1984
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing