Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Turbonetics to ask them why did they have a C.A.R.B number for the Ecoboost Mustang Drop in and not the NX2. For the RS

Tech support told me that the turbo just passed the emission board a month or two ago and they are working getting the E.0 number out in a month or so.

I think this is huge and great news for us Cali boys or any state that follows these standards.

I think you could build a pretty awesome CARB approved RS at this point.

NXT Turbo (will be carb approved)

Mountune FMIC (carb approved)

Mountune Intake (carb approved)

These can be the building blocks you need of course other supporting mods like a built short block, fueling ect.

Question I have is on the stock down pipe does anyone know if it is a bottle neck lets say up to 500whp?

-David

·
Registered
61 Posts
A carb legal turbo would be awesome for us "C.A.R.B." folks! If I did my research correct, any intercooler for a turbo charged car is legal even if it's aftermarket. An intercooler is part of the "cooling system" of the vehicle and not an "emissions part" which would make it illegal if that makes sense. So an intercooler is legal to upgrade without an eo"# and is considered a "replacement part." My goal for my RS is to make it carb legal here in Cali. Unfortunately, I have a 2018 RS and no carb legal intake for us yet. Hope some of that info helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A carb legal turbo would be awesome for us "C.A.R.B." folks! If I did my research correct, any intercooler for a turbo charged car is legal even if it's aftermarket. An intercooler is part of the "cooling system" of the vehicle and not an "emissions part" which would make it illegal if that makes sense. So an intercooler is legal to upgrade without an eo"# and is considered a "replacement part." My goal for my RS is to make it carb legal here in Cali. Unfortunately, I have a 2018 RS and no carb legal intake for us yet. Hope some of that info helps.

Ah that sucks about 2018 model. I looked at the documents and you are right it just says 16-17. I would think that manufacture would not go out of their way to have an intercooler EO if it was a non issue. So I would be careful about that.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Wouldn't you need a C.A.R.B. legal tune to be fully compliant? Perhaps you could tune the car for the turbo and then go to a referee, but that sounds like a lot of work.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Wouldn't you need a C.A.R.B. legal tune to be fully compliant? Perhaps you could tune the car for the turbo and then go to a referee, but that sounds like a lot of work.
I was actually wondering the same thing. Usually, for CARB compliance, you would need a CARB specific locked tune to run with said upgrade. That was the case for the CARB supercharger I had on my BRZ at least.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Would you not also need a CARB approved downpipe, which does not exist, to pair with this turbo? Stock cats don't like it when you go bigger turbo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you not also need a CARB approved downpipe, which does not exist, to pair with this turbo? Stock cats don't like it when you go bigger turbo.
I also asked turbonetics would this turbo work with the stock ECU mapping and they said yes I think that's how they passed the carb requirements. So theoretically you could bring this to a smog station 1 with the stock tune ,cats and carb legal turbo

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Who's bashing California? I just wouldn't want to live there.
Ciao

·
Registered
829 Posts
Maybe it’s because of Kobe’s death, but I can’t sit here and let anyone bash Cali. There’s no where on earth I’d rather live in or call home, CARB be damned.
I don’t know man, I’ve been fortunate enough to travel on work dime to some epic places that wouldn’t take me one sec to move to . Maybe being San Diego most of life I’m spoiled some say. It had its perks back in the 80s and 90s but now it’s a joke. Beach is useles now , mtns and trails busy, parking pass to go hike wtf is this ****.
Cali is over populated and purposely house starved to keep values up. The price to live here is absurd. Pride alone is what keeps most here. I’m starting to lose mine so if the future holds something I’m gone. Fuk Cali ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
..., parking pass to go hike wtf is this ****.
Where's this needed? I have the mtn bike loaded into the RS now and hitting some trails right after coffee but have never needed a parking pass anywhere. Maybe I just luck out, but I don't run into too many people either. I think Los Penasquitos Canyon is where I see the most, but all the fun trails are off the typical walking paths & nestled around Del Mar Mesa anyway. I'm thinking about heading towards Daley Ranch in Esco this morning thanks to Google photos reminding me how nice it was ...hard to believe I haven't been out that way since 2012. Pics of various north county trails incl. Daley Ranch

It's expensive to live out here for sure, some of the CARB stuff is pure BS, and people irritate me, but, I'm from the midwest and I wouldn't go back. I distinctly remember people being every bit as irritating, just in different ways (often ignorant & self-righteous ways). I enjoy being outside without becoming a feast for swarms of insects, and being able to do it pretty much year-round. There are things I miss, like real thunderstorms, but periodic spring trips can sate that craving. For me, the trade-offs leave SoCal with a net positive. :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I don't live in a carb state, but how would anyone know if you had an aftermarket turbo?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts